1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman Peak 1 Model 576 Canada '76

Discussion in 'Coleman Peak 1' started by idahostoveguy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Here's a Coleman Peak 1 Model 576 that was made in Canada, January 1976.

Rated at 8500 BTU/h. Puts out some really good heat. It sports a main valve and also a control valve to control the flame output.

It says 'lightweight' but it is actually quite heavy. :lol:

1289283245-Coleman576-01.jpg 1289283249-Coleman576-02.jpg 1289283260-Coleman576-03.jpg 1289283265-Coleman576-04.jpg 1289283271-Coleman576-05.jpg 1289283281-Coleman576-06.jpg 1289283286-Coleman576-07.jpg 1289283292-Coleman576-08.jpg 1289283297-Coleman576-09.jpg 1289283303-Coleman576-10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

Nice stove!

It seems larger than a 502. Is that right?

This is the first stove I see that has the pump at the bottom of the tank. The flame looks quite powerful. Any idea of the boil time?

Yonadav

3. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Would I be right in saying the only difference between this and the 505b is the fuel shut off knob?

4. techie United States

A 576 was my first backpacking stove and is still a favorite for day hikes and the like where its weight is not unwelcome.

It is a good bit smaller and lighter than a 502 but not so light as the later backpacking stoves. It is hotter than my 502's. Rated heat output (as you can see in the photos) is 8500 btu/h.

5. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

I bought (I thought) a NIB 502 off the Bay, and the seller sent me a well used 576...
    His excuse? "Well, its Coleman and It's green' !!!
    I got my money back, including shipping, and kept the 576 to boot.
    The only problem? Coleman doesn't stock most of the parts. If you need a valve or generator, you're out of luck.
    With the advent of the various 400/550/peak series, the 576 is an evolutionary dead end.

6. Knight84 Canada

Yes and no. Different valve style and feed/air tube. Good old Coleman Canada and their valve. Besides that the stoves are the same. The two lever design was a great design. The 505 and 576 brought Coleman back into the backpacking world. The lack of feet and size and weight would be what the 400 would make up for. Coleman failed to look at what MSR was making or the demand of the changing market. The 502 was still being made at this time. Coleman was happy with what they offered for the family camping/ car camping. Somewhere along the line they lost it.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Matukat United States

Hey Steve-
    I wonder if one of the Japanese copies has compatible parts? :-k

8. Knight84 Canada

Japanese copies? Of the 576? You mean the 502A?

The 576 has uses the 505 gen. Coleman has parts but they like to lie. You can blame Coleman Canada for lack of parts. I believe you can upgrade to a 508 gen/ valve. But not 100%. The old gen. should be able to be cleaned out.

Jeff

9. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Hey Jeff,

How would you clean out a gen like this one. It's got all them twists and turns. I've tried it on other stoves and ended up bunging up the gen. Any tips would be appreciated.

sam

10. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

OK, and if I want to put my stove together every time I want to use it, and do a little oragami folding along the way, I'll look at a MSR. :x

Dammit, a stove should look like a stove, not like a cross between a space satellite and a Transformers toy! ](*,)

Methinks Coleman had it right all along here in the US!

Murph

11. Knight84 Canada

I used carb cleaner and some propane torch help. Seems to help clear out some carbon.

When I get home I will take a look. I see the only spare generators on eBay are in the uk.
    There are some up here still.

Jeff

12. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

I have the 508 though not exactly the same it has many similarities. The ONLY problem I have had w/ the 508 generator was carbon deposit on the outside of the jet. I only unscrewed the jet and did a little minor scraping with a toothpick. Problem solved. I only burn Coleman fuel(white gas). This is more than enough power in an easy to use instant light package to handle solo thru quartet camping. I have no doubt that it will serve you well and cook many a meal.

Weight is a relative issue. For the few oz that this could add to a pack I'm sure there a few things that can easily be left at home. It's all a balancing act. Just don't take the Lodge Stone and this will work fine.

AR

13. Knight84 Canada

Murph I wasn't knocking Coleman so much as to pointing to their trial and errors. The 576/505(a)(b) are not the easiest stoves to pack. Coleman made it right with the 400. But my point was Coleman didn't try to make a "climbers/mountain stove". They went with "do one thing really well". That they did and still do. Light weight stoves haven't been what they are known for. Great car camping and canoe stoves are. Tough as nails, safe as a bank, and dependable. Msr was on the other end. You might need to fix it in the field. That's why the stove came with spares and a wrench. Lighter but a not so safe plastic pump and pump valve. And no simmering but greater output. Packs down into smaller easier to pack components.
    Pros and cons

Jeff

14. Matukat United States

I thought this Chinese, (not Japanese) stove might be close-

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/13228

What is that a clone of?

edit- That's not it either! There is a clone that looks much like the 576. Which is it!

15. Knight84 Canada

Ah right sorry Randy.

Interesting. I have seen this stove before. I say they stole ideas from the Coleman 400. Looks like an MSR control knob.

Jeff

16. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Jeff,I know you weren't knocking Coleman!

I suspect that they saw the climbing/mountaineering stove market filled by others and decided not to get in a pissing contest against them.

MSR in many ways seems not to understand the KISS principle. A wangload of O-rings, custom threads on fuel bottles, all or nothing operation, plastic pumps that were problematic, not the sort of thing I'd want to trust my life on.

In canister gas, Primus was better as a rule, liquid fuels, Optimus and Trangia had it by the ass for meths and CF.

No wonder 8R's and 99's are coveted for years by so many!

Murph

17. RonPH

Yonadav, the diameter is slightly smaller than the 502 but a tad taller by a few millimeter.

Ron

18. techie United States

About the only part you'd need to replace on the 576, other than the dead-standard fuel cap and pump cup, is the generator.

Right now Coleman lists the generator (and most other parts for the 576) as "temporarily unavailable", which I have found in general to mean it will show up again in a few months after they have a chance to put a production line on it. Meanwhile you can get one for $15 from Bob at Old Coleman Parts.

I don't think the 576 was a dead end so much as an evolutionary link to the 400 series, which looks to me like a 576 with a smaller tank and feet. It is quiet, hot, easy to light, and has great flame control. While bulky and heavy for backpacking, it is quite a bit lighter and more compact than a 502. As I said before, it's a great day-hike stove.

19. Knight84 Canada

Here is a picture of the 505 (576) with other Coleman stoves, lanterns, and a heater.

1272860270-100_0638_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  20. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Are they really that heavy. By the time you include a half litre of fuel there isnt that much between an Msr Dragonfly and a coleman 505b or 422 or the famous 8r. Even if you carry an extra half litre in a bigger msr tank of second bottle for the others its not going to affect the scales that much.
    Even my 533 only adds 100g or so to the load