1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman Solus made in Canada

Discussion in 'Coleman Solus - all models' started by Tony Press, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

I picked up this dirty Coleman at a tip shop in Tasmania along with a home made blow lamp.

1371972155-image.jpg

1371972252-image.jpg

1371972356-image.jpg

1371972398-image.jpg

1371972450-image.jpg

1371972515-image.jpg

1371972560-image.jpg

1371972611-image.jpg

I'll post some more images when I clean it up and get it going. I'll need a new flame ring, trivet supports, a trivet, and washers and seals, but overall it's in good nick.

It is painted gold over brass but the paint is wrecked and peeling off. I'll take it back to brass on the top and clear coat the original paint on the bottom of the fount.

Here is a link to thehome made blow lamp I found at the same place:

http://www.classicpressurelamps.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/6748/pid/32683/post/last/m/1/#LAST

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Rick b

Rick b United States Subscriber

Hi Tony. Cant wait to see it cleaned and fired up. Great old stove!

3. itchy United States

Nice find Tony. You are probably already aware of this, but the end of the release valve is the storage location for the reserve cap and it looks like you still have that.

4. Nordicthug United States

Mountlake Terrace, in the Puget Sound basin.
    My Canadian made Solus shows no sign whaever of ever having been painted. It had pretty much everything needful to operate when I got it at a "Junktique" shop a few years ago. The proprietress had no clue what it was or what the value might be. The tag on it said only "Old. $5" so I offered $4. She accepted, I paid and decamped posthaste. Da Missus said I was mean to her. I took it home, replaced the filler cap gasket, tightened the burner on the fount, put in some fresh kerosene and she fired up like a trooper. She's just as loud as any of my other roarer burner stoves. And after a vinegar/water bath and some gentle attention with Barkeeper's Friend on a piece of damp cotton flannel, a shiny, lovely showpiece.

Does anyone know if these stoves ever came in a tin like the European ones often did/do?

Gerry

5. weasel Canada

My Canadian Solus was painted with come copper colored paint that I am 99% convinced was done at the factory. It was in such poor condition that I removed it from the top and sides and polished the lovely brass that was underneath. The underside of the tank I left as is so that if I chose to return it to original, I have something to match the color with.

6. weasel Canada

Oh, and no tin. I believe that the box it came in was intended to be used as a travel container.

7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

I have a Solus with a plain tin. Not sure if it's original or home-made. I'll get it fettled & posted here in the next few weeks for opinion.

8. Tony Press

Coleman Solus is now up and running (Part 1 - cleaning and testing).

I now know why it was painted gold. After stripping the old paint with spray-on paint remover, it revealed that the brass had etching from something nasty being spilled on it. There was also a fair bit of solder splashed on the brass (most likely these two things happened in manufacture).

1379459729-IMG_1764_-_Copy_opt.jpg

1379459766-IMG_1766_-_Copy_opt.jpg

So, I got to work with elbow grease, 00 and 000 steel wool and Austosol (with the occasional use of the Dremel with a brass brush or felt polisher on some really bad bits of etching) and got the tank looking respectable (see the next post, Part 2, on this subject).

I fitted new seals, NRV pip,washers, leather and jet and cleaned the burner with Marine Clean.

Now it was ready to test-fire:

1379460229-IMG_1785_-_Copy_opt.jpg

I was very happy with the result. Pretty pictures follow in Part 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  9. Tony Press

Coleman Solus up and running - Part 2

Here are some shots of the Solus cleaned up after testing (see Part 1 above):

1379460828-IMG_3776_opt.jpg

Trivet legs by loco7stove:

1379460910-IMG_3777_opt.jpg

Trivet from The Base Camp:

1379461222-IMG_3779_opt.jpg

1379461353-IMG_3766_-_Copy_opt.jpg

1379461353-IMG_3766_-_Copy_opt.jpg

1379461390-IMG_3770_-_Copy_opt.jpg

1379461427-IMG_3773_-_Copy_opt.jpg

1379461517-IMG_3774_-_Copy_opt.jpg

Washers, seals and leather from The Fettle Box; trivet legs from loco7stove; trivet from The Base Camp.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  10. loco7stove

loco7stove United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Tony

Smashing resto , Well done !!!

I really should give mine a birthday too!

Stu.

11. Nordicthug United States

Mountlake Terrace, in the Puget Sound basin.
    Wonderful job, it looks perfect. My Solus has the same bent tubing feet, mahap someday I'll come across one with the claw feet, but I'm as patient as Job about that sort of thing.

Gerry

12. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

Great restoration, Tony!

I never saw a Solus stove for real. I see from your photos that it does not have a shut-off valve, which implies it must run on kerosene. On the other hand, it does have the typical Coleman locking pump. I wonder why they thought it was needed. BTW, what is the two- layer thing on the filler cap? Is it a sophisticated air-release screw?

Yonadav

13. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

Another question - the "as found" photos show a wick around the burner. Do you think it was original? Any reason it went away?

Yonadav

14. Tony Press

Yonadav

The Coleman Solus runs on kerosene. I assume they just used the same kind of pump they were always using.

The funny-looking air release is because the end is used for the reserve cap.

And the 'wick' was a makeshift wind shield. I still have it.

Cheers

Tony

15. Rick b

Rick b United States Subscriber

Hi Tony. Great job on your Solus, looks fantastic. Heres a an illustration which shows the fuel cap as well as other parts. At first I thought your "wick" was like the one they show that sits in the spirit cup.

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/155

ATB-

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  16. itchy United States

I think the wick is suppose to sit in the priming cup. I have the same stove (sort of, not as nice looking) and there is still some wick left in the priming cup. I think the purpose was to allow for priming of the stove with kerosene.

17. Tony Press

I'll give it a go.