1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman Twin Burner (Kerosene) (Made in Australia)

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by Tony Press, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

I finally got around to fettling this unusual stove, made under licence in Australia.

I will post all of the stove as I got it, but I doubt the "suitcase" is either a Coleman, or originally for this stove.

IMG_8242.jpg

It is kerosene, and has Optimus fittings:
    IMG_8240.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

IMG_8248.jpg

One burner is SVEA, the other Optimus:
    IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8252.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

Brass Coleman tank:
    IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

The bits:
    IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6910.jpg

Cleaned up the rust from bits and pieces:
    IMG_6931.jpg

There are a couple of odd things about this stove. The left hand burner is mounted higher than the right one (you can see the welded positions of the holding plates in these two photographs:
    IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

Here it is in operation:
    IMG_6938.jpg

IMG_6953.jpg

And here in the suitcase it came with:
    IMG_8267.jpg

The suitcase is most likely made in a workshop rather than factory-made, and probably not for this stove. You can see in the above photo that a piece had been cut out in order to make easy access for the pump. I added a couple of other small cuts to allow the regulators to sit more comfortably:
    IMG_8270.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg
    The pot rest is also very much aftermarket. I think this stove would have had a pot rest that was hinged to the stove.

As it came:
    IMG_5010.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_5017.jpg

As this is such an unusual stove, I wanted to keep it as close to its found condition as possible: I cleaned the stove, painted the drip tray, and treated the whole lot with car wax. I repainted the black suitcase.

This stove will be my workshop stove for the time being. It really is heavy with the suitcase, so I'll leave it set up.

Any help with identifying what model this might be will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

2. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

Tony , i like it .

but i think it may be a Heinz :)

keery

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

Some of the most interesting stoves come out of Australia. Are you running this thing on Coleman fuel or kerosene? It looks like a domestic stove that someone built a suitcase for. They did a fine job of it too judging by the photos. Heavy but really sturdy.

Ben

4. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Tony :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:,
    Excellent post and stove: it's unique and it's held my interest since you 1st introduced it.
    We've not yet seen anything exactly like it but it's comparable w/a few Coleman models (US & CA). I like yours :mrgreen: and consider it for the best of the lot. +1 it strikes me as odd having burners at 2 heights, is that possibly by-design? (if so, unique to this stove?, a design that fizzled but I wonder what was the "concept"? /what were they thinking...).
    Re the grate: Of those comparable/similar models, almost all, have different grates. With your grate sitting loosely atop enamel finish I too wonder if it's original but btw the Canadian 381B 's grates set atop enamel like yours does (not the gratest setup). http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/colecastove.html
    thx omc

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

It runs on kerosene. I'd have known that if I could read. Duh...it's in the title.

Ben

6. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

That's fantastic, Tony! I love the case and the kero burners. I like the combo of Coleman and Optimus and Svea!

Is the whole thing, together, in the case, pretty heavy? The case doesn't look too bad for home made.

sam

7. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

WOW thats very interesting. Tank looks like its from a Canadian 6J or a 4M. I guess the best part is it makes blue flames
    Jan

8. Tony Press

@idahostoveguy

Sam, the whole thing, in the suitcase is heavy. I haven't weighed it yet, but I will.

Cheers

Tony

9. threedots New Zealand

Hello Tony.
    A nice practical stove.
    That SVEA #1915 burner is very good burner as well.
    The burners themselves are different heights(being different makes) I think.
    The mounting tray may have been altered to accommodate the differences.
    Cheers, John

10. Tony Press

Having recently seen another one of these I can confirm two things:

1. It is called a Coleman Chef, model number 336 in the Coleman Thomas catalogue from the early 1950s.

2. The pot rest is probably original to the stove.

Cheers

Tony

11. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Hello Tony,
    Thank you for the updates including all important "ID" it was elusive but now with your info fellow stovies can find their info right here and more details might emerge for an excellent stove.
    Canada !! You established that connection above w/image & text, thank you, while I'm here, here is (searchable) text re that: No. 336
    "Made in Australia by arrangement with
    The Coleman Lamp and Stove Company Ltd.
    Of Canada
    Proprietor of the Registered Trade Mark No. 67296"

I said above I view yours as best of the lot and with your info was happy to see another example, coincidently it just posted onto the internet yesterday! A No. 336 Table Stove, it's label includes "The best of it's kind" :thumbup:. thx omc
    3071434_opt.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  12. Tony Press

@OMC

The one on CCF, which you link to above, is the one I saw on the weekend...

Cheers

Tony