1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earliest version of Coleman #1

Discussion in 'Coleman No:1' started by flivver, Mar 2, 2011.

1. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Pictured is the first version of the 1923 #1 Coleman stove. The #1 came in three versions. The first (pictured below) has an air valve above the off centered pump on tank, no permanently attached oven and "patent applied for" was printed below "Coleman" on tank. The second version had the identical label but had no air valve, or "patent applied for" on tank but did have a permanently attached oven. (see excellent example of a second version #1 in this section listed as " Coleman #1 Divine Restoration". The third version of the #1 is the same as the second except the label is marked "#1a". I no longer own the #1 pictured below but still have my old beater that I have had for many years. It is not restored as it is used often. It too, a first version of the #1 is pictured in this section, listed under "Coleman #1 their very first stove" Mike.. (P.S. These pictures were taken for me by the friends I sold the stove. The stove has since been resold on E-bay. Yes I was aware they intended to resell)

1299079044-IMG_1430_1_1_1.JPG

1299079106-IMG_1433_1_1.JPG

1299079154-IMG_1434_1_1.JPG

1299079180-IMG_1432_1_1.JPG

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Morning, Flivver,

Very nice job on that stove you sold, Mate! Where did you get the stencil for painting the tank? I need to get hold of one of those for the restoration work on my two #1's, one of which will be restored, and other will be a parts stove from which I will take the best parts for the one restoration. In any case, you did a very nice job on that #1, Mike, as I remember how it looked when you first got started on it. Well done, indeed! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. hikin_jim United States

Fabulous job, Mike.

HJ

4. Hazet United States

i saw this for sale on ebay, and i was a little surprised by the low selling price (buy it now of $219 +shipping. ebay item number 220745341414). i have seen worse condition, early Coleman stoves (like models 2 and variants) sell for considerably more.

seeing nice stoves like this make me want to get my early Colemans up and running.

5. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

Very nice Mike! Not very many number 1's floating around on the free market so to speak. I don't have one yet but someday!

6. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Beautiful restoration job!

7. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

I see a #1 on Evilbay, a different model.

8. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi: The #1 you speak of on E-bay is indeed a later version. It is the second version as in the "Divine Restoration" posted this site this section. Notice permanently attached oven. This always indicated a later version. Sometimes I have seen the early air valve tank on a second series version. Tank is panted the wrong color and has a very late twenties decal. Would like to see inside pictures. Good eye Hikerduane. If one is in the market for a #1, make sure which version it is you want and make sure that is the one you are buying. Mike...

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hey, Flivver, and All,

As one who now has two of the oldest version of the Coleman #1, setting down in the Hobbit Hole, waiting to be fettled into life, this thread has got my juices bubblin'!! Unfortunately, lots of work has tumbled down the pike, which, in truth, is a real blessing and much welcomed. But that does make for less time to fettle, or, for that matter, many other things I'd love to do! Still, we're glad for the business, and hope we can get all the new stuff manufactured, and sent, in the time we have allotted to do it.

One #1 I got from "the 'bay", and the other through the always kind and thoughtful auspices of BernieDawg! (Thanks, Gary!!) Between the two of them, I hope to end up with one complete stove that works as I want it to, and looks good, as well. The other will end up needing quite a bit of work, but may well work, too, in the end. I've not made up my mind as to what to do with that one, as of yet. Lots of options, and I'm still considering each one.

Mike, thanks for posting your recent work on that #1, here at CCS! Much appreciated, and helps me get motivated to find time to work on my own! ;) :thumbup: :D :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. adelcoro

adelcoro Canada Subscriber

Great work, the stove is beautiful.

Agostino