1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early Coleman No. 2 - Curious Case Latches

Discussion in 'Coleman No:2' started by idahostoveguy, May 11, 2012.

1. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Here's an early No. 2, not the earliest, that one is still waiting in the wings. This is one is one curious No. 2 with the latches on the front of the stove. Their purpose is to hold the oven-lid together and hold the lid down onto the stove at the same time. This is the only early Coleman double burner that does this. So you get to see it here in a little more detail.

1336706166-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_001.jpg

The latches can only be turned in one direction to open the case. The funny thing is that both open the same direction, rather than in opposite directions. As a matter of fact, the way the latch is made, it forces you to open it in one direction as well.

1336706179-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_002.jpg

The pic below shows both latches open in the same direction. Once unlatched from the case, the lid bounces open revealing a lid that forms into an oven. Not sure why the latches were made on this one and only early model. They seem to work perfectly compared to other Model No. 2s.

1336706191-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_004.jpg

Here's the lid all the way open. I could use the latches to hold the lid up when fully open somewhat, but it has a hard time staying up with the latches, so I just let the lid down.

1336706512-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_029.jpg

The flame control key has a nice comfy place to stay on the burner surface.

1336706212-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_007.jpg

Here is a shot of the cast iron burner with slotted burner caps. The look to be in very good shape and will clean up well. Won't be cleaning those up for a minute since I'm still working on the other No. 2. Lots of work left to do on that one. Anyway, there's just a little bit of rust on the surfaces but that's about it on this beauty.

1336706223-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_008.jpg

I pulled the tank out so that you can see the stove in Hot Blast position. What you do is pressurize the tank, turn the valve on and light the fuel that is spraying out of the generator at the jet. The flame will go in, circle back and up towards the generator. This action will get the generator nice and hot. After about a minute, two if you want a really good prime, you can move the burners toward the front of the case using the lever underneath the main burner, accessible from the front so that the generator is directly over the main burner. I've learned to turn the stove off to make sure that the burner will not underburn, then switch to burner mode.

1336706239-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_009.jpg

Here's the stove setup in burner mode since we are done Hot Blasting. The process works quite well since the generator is quite big and thick compared to modern counterparts. Since you lose air and a little pressure during Hot Blast, you may want to pump more air into the tank.

I do have to say that the big difference between burners compared to the No. 1, is that the lever to move the burners back and forth are in different spot. On the No. 1, the lever is set at an angle still going underneath the main burner and it juts out the side of the case instead of in front of the case.

1336706250-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_010.jpg

Here's another curious item. This early No. 2 has an air release screw in the tank just like the early No. 1. Some later No. 1s don't have this air release screw, so this stove was made during the early No. 1 stove era, or near the end of it, and used similar parts.

The pump is also offset from center as you can see in the photo below. This is another feature of the early Coleman stoves.

1336706269-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_012.jpg

So, here's the other end of the tank with the winged fuel cap. It, of course, has a lead seal and is very easy to remove for filling.

In case you didn't notice, the stove case has wire legs like the early No. 1. Later No. 2s have the leg strap that wraps around the top of the case to keep the lid shut.

1336706320-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_013.jpg

Here's the flame control valve key. Keep the key off the stove while burning. The key will get really hot. I found this out the hard way.

1336706331-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_014.jpg

Here's the oven all set up. This No. 2, unfortunately, did not come with the grate. The grate would look like the original No. 1s grate, I think. What's confusing is that on another No. 2, of similar vintage, it has a corrugated piece of sheet metal for a grate, that I've only ever seen in the Model 2E.

1336706391-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_016.jpg

The oven door is open below. The latch has a tab that allows you to close the door and secure it with that tab. I would imagine that the oven gets quite hot, so you would possibly need gloves or a stick to open the door. I'll have to try it out just to see how hot it actually gets.

1336706402-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_017.jpg

Here's the stove with the legs down to hold the stove up. Same as the No. 1.

1336706412-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_020.jpg

Now here's the oven/lid part way torn down to be put away. On the No. 1s, the oven walls were a separately detachable piece. It is two pieces of sheet metal that makes its home in the lid. On this No. 2, you can see that all the oven walls are hinged together.

1336706438-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_021.jpg

Here's the auxiliary burner with the typical slots in the cap. This must be made of brass since it has a very light color and is very light weight. Haven't taken one apart -- yet, so I'll report that later.

1336706452-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_022.jpg

Here's the main burner under the generator to keep it nice and warm. Seems like there is enough flame there to keep it hot enough for kerosene. I'll find that out later too.

1336706467-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_023.jpg

Another view of both burners.

1336706481-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_024.jpg

Here's that lever I was telling you about that moves the burners back and forth. If you pull it out far enough, it will lock into the case as you move the lever out and to the right. Keeps the burners from moving around, not that you are going to move the stove while it is burning.

1336706497-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_025.jpg

Here's the label. You can see the Model No. 2 in the upper right corner. There are patent dates in the upper left corner, so this stove is late enough that the stove got patented, while the No. 1s are all patent applied for. So it is hard to say exactly when the No. 2 was made, but it was certainly after 1924, probably in 1926.

1336706523-MyColemanNo2withCuriousCaseLatches_031.jpg

I guess that's it.

As I get this No. 2 going, I'll show the flames.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Evening, Sam,

Outstanding find, my Friend! Congrats, and thanks for sharing that neat old Coleman with us. So, if I take your meaning right, you're still looking for a #1, is that right? More and more of those neat #1's are coming to the surface, so I'm fairly certain you will score on, sooner or later! Keep the faith, and one WILL come your way! Have fun cleaning up your #2 and getting it all up and running. You're going to LOVE the "hot blast" priming!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Sam: Congrats! Very good and accurate photo essay. The only thing you left out is the concave end of the fuel tank where the wing nut filler cap resides is deliberately concave so it can be used as an emergency funnel. I once attempted to own every Coleman early black stove type and got close. It looks as though you have a good start. (I became overwhelmed by all the veraitions) Mike..

P.S. Doc: Sam, like you has two #1's.

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Thanks Doc, Mike. I've been attempting to own a few of the early black stoves myself. They're beautifully done and work really well. I've still got a couple more No. 2s that I'll need to post. Still have flame shots to do on this one.

Catch you guys later,
    sam

5. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Nice find Sam. Don't get me going on more suitcase stoves dude. What, seven I have now.
    Duane

6. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

You can't go too wrong Duane on more suitcases. Your Campingo sure is nice!

I really like these early Coleman No. 2s. Very nice and easy to work on. I wish the later ones were this nice. When I'm done with my No. 2s, I'll pull out the No. 1s and post them. They're nice too.

As a matter of fact, I like the very early Prentiss Wabers and the AGMs. Very nice. Pretty much any suitcase in the 20s and early 30s is what I'm really liking.

sam

7. RonPH

Like Sam says Duane, you can't go wrong with suitcase stoves. They just like the Eveready Battery, just keeps going and going, and going.

Ron

8. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Sam, trying to spend more of my money I see. :) The tank has some similarities with my 9C. Let me know if the NRV can be serviced as the one on my 9C leaks some. I have a new valve, but I think it will only work on newer Colemans. Just collecting parts it seems at times for any eventuallity.
    Duane

9. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

These don't have the regular check-valve like the later ones. I have one that is stuck, that I'm going pull and see what's in there. I'll post that so we can all see what it is made of.

At the bottom of the pump tube is a hole and nothing to remove. I hope that the one that is stuck is just stuck and not damaged.

I have a 9C. I'll take a look and see what you challenges you may face. It may be the same thing, hopefully not.

"And they keep going, and going, and going!"

sam

10. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Here's the burner valve controller for the auxiliary burner on the early Coleman No. 2 stove.

The valve control for the auxiliary burner runs the length of double burner. The following photo shows the under side of the burner.

1345689718-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_001.jpg

This next one shows the burner valve control in the "burner open" position when the it is pulled out.

1345689726-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_002.jpg

The photo below shows the burner valve control in the "burner closed" position.

1345689737-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_003.jpg

Here's a side view of the burner valve control in the "burner closed" position.

1345689758-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_004.jpg

Here's another side view.

1345689769-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_005.jpg

The burner valve control easily comes off by pulling it all the way open to the circular cutout. The bottom of the burner valve is shown.

1345689802-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_007.jpg

Here's a better view of the valve control "track" which slides along the valve bottom.

1345689816-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_008.jpg

Another view of the shape of the valve controller.

1345689827-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_009.jpg

This is a view of the valve control that protrudes out of the case under the main burner valve.

1345689841-MyColemanNo2curiouscaselatches_010.jpg

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  11. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

geez, I guess I am over a year late to post, but here goes, great tutorial Sam, I have been working on the same model # stove, it was VERY RUSTY but complete. I did get it burning but I had to update the pricker rod in the genny. Its out of the Electrolosis tank and now primed, just needs more work then a new coat of black paint. I will start a new thread when it gets closer to complete, meanwhile, off to the shed to work on a PW
    Jan

12. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

It's never too late Jan. Good to see your post on the stovie dark side!

I'm still working on this one. I have a stuck bolt underneath the burner that I'm trying to be careful to remove. The head had busted off so I'm in the middle of doing an extraction. Once, I get that done, it'll be paint for this honey too.

sam

13. scouterjan

thanks Sam, once I get the photo posting figured out, I will put on some of my stoves
    Jan

14. JohnnyO United States

Hi Everyone,
    New to this site. Just picked up a coleman model #2. Does it run on kerozine or coleman fuel? I will post pics soon.
    Thanks,
    Johnny O

15. snwcmpr United States

Welcome to CCS.
    Coleman fuel.

Ken in NC

16. JohnnyO United States

Thank you Ken. Will try to post pics soon.

17. scouterjan

been away for a while, but welcome, looking forward to your pictures, and remember, if you have a question, just ask
    Jan

18. Reaperisgrim United States

Did you ever get a chance to do a thread for the 9c? I just acquired one and I am trying to find information about it. The valve for the fuel control is almost rounded, so the original key will not turn it. I haven't torn into it yet. If you have any info that would help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks matt.

19. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Mr. Reaper,

Welcome to the forum!

No, I haven't done a thread for the 9c, nor for my 9d, nor for my No. 1s either. Been a little side-tracked the last little while, but when I do start posting those oldies, there will be a bunch of them.

Here's a 9D that I worked on to get the burner fixed since it was broken in shipment:

Broken 9D Burner

sam