Early Primus Double Burner with Stand

Discussion in 'Primus Early US Made Models' started by idahostoveguy, Jul 7, 2013.

1. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Here's the find of a century, literally the last century. I'm still astonished that I own this piece of history that is straight out of the catalogues. See here, third page:

Ambercrombie & Fitch 1903 Catalogue

1373167757-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_001a.jpg

Here's the catalog picture of the stove for comparison from the Ambercrombie and Fitch catalogue.

1251415179-AFCatalog1903-53.jpg

It is remarkably preserved for how old it is and for what it is. The stoves are identical and the stand is complete, along with the cast iron grates. There is only very minute bits of surface rust on the legs and on the grates, other than that is in very good condition.

I've been looking for the US Primus versions of these stoves and ended up with two! with the stand!

The following is a view of the top surface with cast iron grates and the two stoves underneath. You'll notice in each corner a decorative marking on the clean black surface still showing. I'm beginning to think that this stove was used but not very much. There's still a gloss to the surface that not even my home kitchen's stove doesn't even have.

1373168048-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_002a.jpg

Here's a view at the two burners and where they happily sit. There are retaining buttons and also a retaining clip that hold the stove to the surface that really work. I was able to move the entire setup without having the stoves slide out. As for the weight of the entire apparatus, it's no more than 20 lbs/9 kg. Of course, that is without fuel in either tank.

1373168068-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_003a.jpg

Here's another shot taken later in the day after I spent the day wandering around in Wyoming, looking to meet some people there. All I could think about was getting more photos and checking out this antique. It's in unbelievable condition.

1373168083-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_004a.jpg

The grates are made of cast iron and exist. It's hard to find cast iron grates for one burner, but for two? Very rare to find them both and of good quality. One of the grates is broken in half. Can you tell which one?

1373168122-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_006a.jpg

Pump, fuel cap, pressure release valve screw, and the clip that holds the stove down. All there and hopefully, all original. They look like it. The entire stove must have been stored in Great Granny's attic since the last time she used it.

1373168159-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_007a.jpg

A look underneath shows the two burners and a view up through the grate. You can also see the color pinstripe on the leg on the left in foreground. Minimal decoration but definitely made to be in the kitchen than out on a campout, especially with the silent kerosene burners.

1373168196-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_010a.jpg

Definitely a kerosene burner. There's still some black residue from the fuel leaking out. It'll take a little time to clean that up or not. I would like to see both burners running and cooking something again like it did a hundred years ago. That's the other amazing thing. I'm fairly certain it will work even after all this time has passed, proving once again, they don't make things like they used to.

1373168225-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_011a.jpg

Another photo below for posterity...

1373168243-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_012a.jpg

The retaining clip is made of brass and is malleable. You have to turn it left or right to unclip and also to remove the stove. There are two other pins that hold the stove down.

1373168293-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_013a.jpg

1373168456-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_017a.jpg

If you compare the graphic on the side panel with the drawing for the setup in the catalogue image above, you'll see that there is a graphic, not the same, but one exists. Another difference from the catalogue is that the platform sits atop two rails, which are connected to the cross rail of the legs. This elevates the platform, which elevates the stoves a bit more. The platform makes a wood sandwich out of some sheet metal and a piece of galvanized metal on the bottom, which makes the stove platform quite rigid.

1373168375-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_015a.jpg

1373168405-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_016a.jpg

Two of the most curious things about the stove burner bells, is their shape. I can't even think that the shape is original, but then there is no evidence that the bells were dented or bent with any tool. They look like that just got hot and warped somehow. What's amazing is that both have the same issue or 'feature'. I think that I will leave them in that configuration unless it seriously affects the operation of the burner. The other amazing thing is that each burner has both the inner (not shown) and out burner caps! They look to be original and in good shape.

1373168486-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_019a.jpg

The fuel caps have engraved on them:

COOKING & HEATING APP. Co. N.Y.
    USE ONLY KEROSENE.
    PAT: JULY.4.93.

This is the only indication on either stove that they are Primus stoves. No other markings exist on the stoves.

1373168531-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_023a.jpg

The bottoms are clean and straight. No dents and plenty of solder to hold that bottom on.

1373168600-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_025a.jpg

A look at one of the silent burners. Definitely been used and may require some work to get it cleaned up and burning properly. Maybe I'll do it, or maybe I won't. What a story these burners could tell.

1373168647-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_027a.jpg

Here's one of the burner grates. I'm grateful to have it (pun intended).

1373168691-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_028a.jpg

The stove platform shows the retaining pins and clips. Nice to see them. I'll have to make sure find a matching screw to hold the platform down.

1373168726-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_029a.jpg

The twin burners again with their nice patina. Those burner bells sure look unusual. It'll be a nice site to see them doing what they do best.

1373168768-EarlyPrimusDoubleBurner_031a.jpg

Hope you liked it.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. threedots New Zealand

Hello idahostoveguy.
    What a beauty you have there! :mrgreen:
    Those type of burners are the best performers in my opinion. It will be nice to see them going again.
    Congratulations on a great and rare find. John

3. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Outstanding find Sam! Congratulations. I have my fingers permanently crossed that a CCS member in the USA will find some of the US product. The US made items were virtually unique to their market. Despite the size of that market they would seem to be very rare which makes you wonder how successful they actually were. We all know the product works & works well but maybe gasoline was just too dominant. Other early kero brassie's from the USA seem to be rare as well.

There's an interesting story waiting to be discovered about the brand in the USA. I'm curious what led them to manufacture under license there so early in the products history. We know that practice didn't last long.

New York seems to have been quite a centre in the brass founding industry around the turn of the 20th century.

4. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

Perhaps the odd shape is to facilitate the emptying of water when something has boiled over?

5. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

I would gather the shape is tailored for funneling the alcohol prime down to the prime ring from above, rather than trying to fill the prime ring from the side blindly.

Murph

6. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Beautiful set of stoves/stand, and thanks for posting. I was watching this one and great to see she went to a member. I had thought the burner bells were that shape due to impact damage, interesting to know it may have been by design. Too bad there are none others you can compare them to (yet) in catalogue or gallery form to help know for sure. Looking forward to some flame shots.

7. prime northwest

:thumbup: :thumbup: Very Nice. I also saw this and great that you got it. I'm not an expert but looks like the burner bells were made that way, they don't seem damaged. The shape looks smoothly formed. A rare find in USA it seems. Thanks for the great photos and description. Hope to see some flame shots later :D/ Beautiful set of stoves.

Kind regards,

John

8. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Stupendous addition to the Stove Ref Gallery Sam and to your collection of course.

Grand to see such detail on the real thing and not simply as an engraving in an old catalogue, but helpful to have included those links to make the comparison.

John

9. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I feel fortunate that this set has fallen into my possession.

It'll be a real treat to have those burners fired up and cooking something. It won't happen right away, but when it does, it'll be right here...

All the best,
    sam

10. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Finally getting back up to fettling speed and went to work on one of the Yankee Primus stoves. Being over 100 years old, maybe even 110 years old, I wanted to take my time and make sure to do a good job. Of course, I had to wait until this point in time since the personal apocalypse I had recently.

It is amazing how well-preserved the stoves are. I pulled the NRV from one of the stoves and found, to my surprise, how clean the NRV was. Usually, if the stove had found a lot of use or if kerosene was left in the tank, the NRV would be gummed up really badly. That was not the case here. I removed it and this is what I found:

1386825636-aYankeePrimus-Burner_001.jpg

I replaced the ages-old pip, which was made of cork and had almost turned to dust from sitting for so long. What's interesting is the design of the pip holder and the upper part of the air-inlet has the elongated tube. What's amazing is the condition of the spring too.

In the presscall style of exploded parts diagrams, I'm displaying the pump parts so you can see the detail of its curious design. The difficulty of this design is its intolerance for thick leather. I had to make a custom sized pump leather and it had to have very thin leather material in order for it to go into the pump tube. Sefaudi's pump leathers would not go into the tube.

1386826213-aYankeePrimus-Burner_002.jpg
    Exploded view of pump parts with Sefaudi pump leather.

1386826233-aYankeePrimus-Burner_003.jpg
    Pump assembled with custom pump leather.

The retaining nut on the pump rod was actually soldered on to the end, which I did not resolder since the threads still have plenty of solder for a tight fit and provided a 'lock' for the nut.

The filler cap had a piece of leather for the gasket, which had become hard and brittle and had rotted a bit. I replaced the gasket with a Nitrile one.

1386827020-aYankeePrimus-Burner_005a.gif

Once the pump, filler cap, and NRV were fettled, I assembled the stove and tested it to see if it would move air through the jet/nipple. It wouldn't so I grabbed a 0.32 mm jet pricker, but it was too big, so I grabbed a 0.23 mm pricker and that fit. A little bit of gunk followed it out and then I was able to 'hear' air passing through the jet/nipple. Once it passed that test. It was time to fire up the stove...

Flames follow:

1386827199-aYankeePrimus-Burner_006.jpg

1386827239-aYankeePrimus-Burner_009.jpg

1386827262-aYankeePrimus-Burner_010.jpg

1386827281-aYankeePrimus-Burner_013.jpg

1386827299-aYankeePrimus-Burner_016.jpg

That last pick was a nod to the famous Coleman Band-a-Blue ad shot from directly over the burner. I was able to get shot of the ring of blue flame around the outer cap and it turned out okay.

I'll get the twin stove done in a short while and then we'll see them both within the stand. It should look pretty good when it is all done.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  11. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Sam, looks great! :clap: I love the green flames :D/ If only Santa would bring one to my door... :lol:

Best regards,

Wim

12. Rick b

Nice job getting this oldgirl going again Sam. Great flame shots, the nrv looks brand new, amazing.

ATB,

13. threedots New Zealand

Hello Sam.
    I have a USA made Primus stove that is similar to your great examples you have shown.
    Are the burner caps steel or brass and do they have any identifying markings on them?
    The stove I have has a steel inner cap but unfortunately it is missing its outer cap. Cheers, John

14. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

John,

The inner and outer caps are made of steel and not brass. That was part of the miracle of this set. Both the inner and the outer caps were with the stove. I'm certain that the inner caps are original since they are threaded on to the burner, while the outers just sit. Usually, the outers are lost, as in your case. I'm almost certain these are original due to the similar manufacture and the fit on the burners, plus, they just look old.

sam

15. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Hey, Stovies,

Now that I've gotten back up on my horse, I went back in time to the fettle pile and have revisited the twin American Primus stoves. I repeated the fettle of the first one on the second one and now I have the twins burning brightly and perfectly. I wanted you to see them both together in action. They work so great for being centenarians, I hope I'm breathing by the time I get 3/4 of their age.

1405216811-aBothAreBurning_001.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoy the pics, because I'm sure having a lot of fun playing with them in person. I'm guessing that as good as they work, they were probably used a short while and then stored in some basement or attic for nearly a hundred years. Now they are back out for a blast from the past.

1405216828-aBothAreBurning_002.jpg
    In the dark.

1405216843-aBothAreBurning_004.jpg
    Left burner.

1405216852-aBothAreBurning_005.jpg
    Right burner.

1405216864-aBothAreBurning_006.jpg
    A little more light.

1405216873-aBothAreBurning_007.jpg
    A little closer.

1405216901-aBothAreBurning_010.jpg
    Left burner getting hot.

1405216910-aBothAreBurning_011.jpg
    Right burner getting hot.

1405216928-aBothAreBurning_019.jpg
    Modern kettle with older style copper kettle. Finally have steam.

1405216937-aBothAreBurning_020.jpg
    Steam!

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Good job Sam. What a joy to see.

Ken in NC

17. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Wow! No, really WOW! It is truly spectacular that such a complete stove has survived that long in that condition and ended up in your hands. Thanks for posting to the gallery...now we all own a piece of it.

18. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

G,,day Sam . very very nice indeed :thumbup:
    interesting to note the cast grates appear to have two expansion gaps in the inner ring !!
    some one was thinking when making this stove .
    even QD mounting of the stoves to the unit .
    I love it !!!!!! :)
    cheers
    kerry

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, @idahostoveguy ,

Sam, for some reason, I did not post on this, back when you sent me the link, and I apologize for that. Your wonderful find is the sort of thing of which Stovie Dreams are made, and I am SO happy that this set now has you as it's loving and respectful Caretaker!!! I cannot think of a better man than you, my old Friend, to have that honor!!! Huge thanks, also for your wonderful photos, and for all the "exploded" shots you took, as these are a help to me, and will be to many others, over the years here at CCS!! Well done on all counts, and again, HUZZAH on scoring this classic combination from Primus!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

20. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Mark,

No apologies necessary. You have been good to me more than I deserve. I would say that is true for many others on CCS as well.

Have a great evening,
    sam