Firefly Rebuild

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by Pstm13, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Pstm13

image.jpg

First time post. I came across this site while researching my new interest in MSR stoves.

I just purchased 2 old stoves. The first is a garden variety Whisperlite from the mid-90's. This is the second one. It looks like a very old Firefly and of course the fuel like is totally broken. I plan on having a friend repair it with a section of fuel line. Sorry for the bad picture. I'll post more when I can. Any suggestions on the size of fuel line, other parts for it, anything else?

2. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Welcome to the forum.

You might be able to find a replacement at an auto parts store. They have generic fuel line in a few different sizes that they will cut from a bulk roll. It's important that the fueline fits snugly on the old fittings. I think the problem you will find is replacing the braid on the fuel line.

I've used pex crimp rings to attach fuel line before.

Sam

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings,

MSR used to offer replacement fuel lines for their Whisperlite stove line, but I don't know if they still offer those. If you could find one, you could get the best of both worlds in that you can just remove the line and jet for the WPL, and braze the new fuel line onto the Firefly. Back in the late 1980's-early 1990's, MSR actually use to retrofit a new braided fuel line onto the customers FF stove, and they charged $30 to do this. Here's my first Firefly stove, with the new MSR retrofit fuel line, and also an old Perfektus silent burner cap.

FF w:new fuel line.JPG

I wish that MSR still offered this fuel line retrofit, but sadly, they don't do such things anymore. But, if you can see out a replacement line for the WPL stove, you can do the change I suggested, and it should work nicely, though the fuel line will be a tad shorter than the one in this photo. Good luck, and remember, BE SAFE when working on this Firefly fettle!!! Any leaks in your fuel line could spell disaster!!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. geneislucky

Welcome to the forum. You can already see the friendly, helpful environment we have here.

5. Pstm13

Thanks guys. I'll get a section of fuel line and make sure it is sealed tight. I should have updated pictures this weekend.

6. Pstm13

The Firefly works great.

It came with the original replacement hose. However, the thing was like wax. It even came with replacement instructions. So I went down the street and got a 50 cent fuel line. I clamped it on and fired it up in a flame/explosion resistant box with a ventilation fan at work (no kidding).
    image.jpg

The old yellow pump was missing the intake tube and would not suck up any fuel. So I switched over to my red pump and everything worked great.
    image.jpg
    I used a 3/16 inch fuel line with the original clamps. It is rated at 50 psi and 175 degrees. The MSR stoves run at 20-30 psi so it is ok for now. But, if there were a problem I don't think this fuel line could handle it. So I ordered a metal braided line for $3.00 and free shipping from eBay and it should be showing up in a few days.

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Looks like the FireFly is flying! I like the explosion resistant box. I need one of those! Okay, I know it is not practical for home use, but thanks for showing your fix of the FireFly. It's burning really cleanly.

Sam

8. Pstm13

It was 1/2 humor and 1/2 caution. I primed a Whisperlite with denatured alcohol for the second time and thought the flame was totally out (it wasn't). The container shot across the room and blew out a ball of fire. I was very careless and got lucky. I didn't want something like that happening with an old untested stove.

image.jpg
    This is a shot of the original fuel bottle and pump from @ 1983. I was able to get a small section of hose for the pump fuel intake to get it working.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

How did that happen, if I may ask.

Ken in NC

10. Pstm13

Primed stove the first time and flame went out ( so I thought) because the fuel bottle was low but I didn't know it. Primed it a second time by just using a can of denatured alcohol rather than my small bottle. The can was almost empty and had fumes built up. There was still a small unseen flame in the stove. The next thing I know there is a jet of fire shooting out of the can and it flies against the wall and a nylon bag (not my stove bag) was started on fire that was about 5 feet away but in the path of the flame.

I was very careless and got lucky. I feel stupid but figure someone else can learn from my mistake and avoid a problem.

11. snwcmpr

I thought the stove went across the room. Now I see it was a can of alcohol.
    Yes, the invisible danger of burning alcohol.

Even with an insufficient prime, of alcohol, the white gas of the Firefly should start at low setting just fine on one prime. If not vaporized, it will squirt some WG and that can be used for priming.
    I always prime MSR stoves, that burn WG, with WG. I never see a need to have alcohol to prime a WG stove. I even prime my WL Universal with kero to burn kero. An added wick helps that a lot. I get some soot, but that burns off after the stove gets hot.

Ken in NC

12. Hazet

Love the look of those old MSR fuel bottles, great graphics!

13. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Ken, +1 on WG prime with WG stove.

14. Pstm13

I was just trying to avoid the soot build up. I plan to continue the alcohol prime with the WL because I don't like the soot or the idea of it in my backpacking gear. I really appreciate everyone's input.

My next quest is to find a wind screen and super cool coffee pot and take a picture with the braided hose.

15. snwcmpr

You can make a firefly windscreen from an angel food cake pan.

I don't get soot with WG. I get soot with kero. And that soot is gone when the stove gets hot.

Ken in NC

16. Got Dibbs

Got Dibbs Subscriber

Tractor Supply carries dog bowls that are the exact dimension to the original soft aluminum windscreen that came with the MSR Firefly from the factory except it's made out of stainless steel. I mean they are exact, down to the circular indentations in the bottom of the windscreen. You should also know that your Firefly is a little more rare than the typical Fireflies. MSR had a recall on these particular stoves. The fuel lines were once made of the clear rubber whose that was also used on the ends of the yellow pump. These specific fuel lines didn't have any flame retardant braided fabric around them and were prone to dry rotting and fire hazard. They're easy to recognize because the ones that survived like yours are brittle and broke. I also have one of these pre recall stoves listed in the forum on this under Got Dibbs. I was able to gently pry open the hose clamps on the brittle fuel line and reuse them to attach a fuel compatible hose I picked up at Ace Hardware. Normally used for lawnmowers and weed eaters. Awesome find for your first stove. I love these and have 15 of them. Around 40 MSR stoves all together. Hope this helps and check out my Firefly post. I believe one of those dog bowl windscreens is also pictured.

17. snwcmpr

Could you add a link to that image, please?

Ken in NC

18. Got Dibbs

Got Dibbs Subscriber

Im not sure how to post a link but if you go to stove fettling forum and look for a post headlined MSR Firefly question written by got Dibbs on the 28 of August I believe. You'll see the stove I have like yours and the windscreen in the background

19. Pstm13

This is the original plastic fuel line (replacement section) that came with the stove. It is basically a wax plastic mix that crumbles under stress. image.jpeg

I found an old coffee pot that goes with the stove. I am hoping to field test this set up next weekend.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

20. Pstm13

Your post is one of the first posts I found on how to repair my stove. I appreciated the info. I used yours and a couple others as models for mine.