1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefly Rebuild

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by Pstm13, Oct 27, 2015.

1. snwcmpr United States

[​IMG] @Gotdibbs
    I found the photo. It is not close enough to really see it. That is stainless steel? Did you make it?

Ken in NC

2. Pstm13

Pstm13 United States Subscriber

I found a similar aluminum pan from an old mess kit that I am going to convert to a wind screen. What do you suggest I use to cut out the pattern (saw the aluminum)? I'm not much good at working with metal.

3. snwcmpr United States

4. Got Dibbs United States

Awesome partner! I'm truly honored that you used my forum to help rebuild your Firefly. I'm also really glad I was able to lend a hand. I'm quite the newbie compared to a lot of people on this site when it comes to collecting stoves as I started out with just lanterns. I've only been collecting for around 4 years. Now 250 lanterns, 200+ stoves, 30 heaters, 20 tents, and countless other camp equipment later, I've become quite an expert on this type of stuff. Simply by trial and error from taking apart, cleaning, rebuilding, and finding optional components to replace parts that are no longer being made or too expensive. Like using a stainless steel dog bowl to replace the windscreen on the MSR Firefly. Or finding parts at a hardware store to rebuild the old MSR yellow fuel pumps that part kits can't be gotten. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

5. Got Dibbs United States

Hey partner, I was wondering what you did with the original clamps that held the old brittle fuel line on your stove? I see you used some kind of newer hose clamps to fit the black fuel line. Did you keep the original or toss them? You have the second of only two original pre recall Fireflies I've ever seen. Although I can't find any actual evidence of my claim besides mine and your stoves and some information the original owner of my stove told me. I still stand firm in what I believe about these MSR Fireflies. If you happen to find any information out please post it on this forum. Thank you

6. snwcmpr United States

He sold it on an auction site.

7. Pstm13

I actually listed it twice and cancelled it each time because I could not part with it. I currently have the original stove, yellow pump, 2 fuel bottles, and the earliest repair kit for the Firefly (including fuel line) that I have ever seen.

8. snwcmpr United States

My error, I thought it was gone.

9. Pstm13

@Got Dibbs gave me a heads up as to what I may have my hands on so I pulled the listing. It was almost gone. I owe him one. His prior post also helped me ID the version. I can't thank the guy enough.

10. Got Dibbs United States

Hey no problem! Very very glad I could help out. So Sorry about the huge delay in messaging back. Been very busy lately. Got a Awesome Tilley Guardsman lantern (not stove, Sorry) and I'm in the process of cleaning it now. These older MSR Fireflies are gorgeous. So gorgeous in fact that I'm on my 15th in the collection. Always looking for a possible trade though. Once again happy I could help out another stovie!