1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flame Boy Galley stove

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by fyrwokr, Mar 2, 2016.

1. fyrwokr

fyrwokr United States Subscriber

These were built by Flame Boy Products of East Berlin, Connecticut USA. Available in stainless or aluminum - one or two burner. They used Vulcan Sa-fuel - the same used in the Vulcan Safety Chef. This one is stainless and near new. Very well made and heavy. The drawer in front has to be unlocked to draw out and the fuel container cup can be removed. The lever on the side rotates a cover over the fuel to shut off. The burner area is very much like the Vulcan. There are tabs on the bottom near the feet that swing out so it can be secured. The grill locks or tabs can be turned so as to remove the grill or grate. Found some reference to these on line in Popular Science and Boating magazine's from the late '60's.

P1040531.JPG

P1040536.JPG P1040539.JPG P1040542.JPG P1040556.JPG P1040535.JPG P1040545.JPG

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

So, a stove to take a fuel gel canister and the lever controls the heat output by blanking off more or less of the fuel.

Solid looking and stylish and with no fuel spillage in prospect, approved for use on a boat I see.

Thanks for posting the details and pics.

John

3. ptferris United States

I just acquired a number of Solid Safety-Fuel tins (new with keywind) from a university surplus sale, believed to be acquired by the physics department from the Navy decades ago. I've had difficulty finding much info on the internet ... a sprinkling of auctions for these, Flame Boy and Vulcan. I also had to bid on separate lot to get the original paperboard tubes for the tins.

4. ptferris United States

5. fyrwokr

fyrwokr United States Subscriber

Fuel has been an issue for awhile. I found some on an auction site a few days ago and ordered 3 tubes of 9 cans each for a very reasonable price. Will try this stove and a Vulcan if the cans fit.