flaring Optimus 111B

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Jur, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Jur

They say 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but I just couldn't resist dismantling this new old Optimus 111B and anyway, even though it worked fine, it needed thorough cleaning, so that's at least some excuse.

Put together and filled again, the stove had difficulty getting started, especially when preheated only with meths output was either minimal or - after lots of pumping - so strong that it blew out by itself. When finally burning, it tended to flare very easily when opened up further. There were no leaks, tankpressure etc being OK.

Then I remembered it was said somewhere on this forum that petrol is better to preheat the 111B's relatively large burner assembly. It did, but even then a strong pulsing flare started when opened fully, which only after some time gradually developed into a proper blue flame.

Question remains thus for me how to make certain that the 111B makes a proper start and then burns without first flaring. Normally I'd think one should first build up pressure by pumping and only then start preheating and lighting.The stove's original instructions however state to preheat and light first, and only then give the pump 10-15 strokes. This makes me wonder what exactly the pumps function is, and especially how and when it should be used further once the stove is lighted and burning in full swing.

So I hope somebody here can answer these questions.

Thanks, Jur

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Jur,

I only use meths to prime kero stoves. When using petrol stove, I use petro. Actually, I use and burn Coleman fuel. It always heats up the works so that they function properly. In my 111B's, I usually give the pump about 4-5 strokes, then open the spindle to let out enough fuel to fill the priming cup. While the priming fuel is burning, I give the pump a few more strokes, just for grins. Once the priming fuel is almost burned off, I open the spindle, keeping a match at the ready, and the 111B usually starts right up. I let the burner plate get nice and hot, before I pump any more pressure into the tank. That usually works fine for all my 111B stoves, and maybe it will work for you, too. I find that, on the later 111 models, with the rubber O-ring, instead of the leather pump bucket, the pumping is more "odd" and things don't always go as smoothly I'd like. But, most of the time, they do, and the 111 model stoves are among my favorites. Good luck, and I hope that helps some.

Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

3. bark2much

Hi, Jur,

I own two 111B. The younger version exhibits the same symptom: it sputters and blows itself out, if you open wide the spindle after priming is done.

I use alcohol for priming for both stoves, and the older one lights up immediately without any trouble, while the younger one sputters as you describe. Each one displays a different personality.

Once the troubled one gets warmed up, it performs admirably, however, as well as the other.

I did try priming with while gas. The sputtering is gone, if you use enough gas. But then white gas flares up a large fireball, and I do not like its unnecessarily large "announcement" of a yellow fireball. I just use a healthy dose of alcohol (3-4 dropper full) to get it heated up. Once the burner is lit, I gradually turn up the heat. It takes a little longer, but it will come up to the speed, shortly after you place a pot over the rack: it helps trap heat and raise the temp of the burner.

I thought about the reasons why one stove would perform well, while the other, less, on the same alcohol priming. Unfortunately, my brain lacks enough power to tease out the likely answers, except: they are of different metalic composition. The older one seems to be of brass, while the younger, of copper. Somehow a brass burner primes better than the copper one? I don't know.

By the way, did your 111B perform without sputtering before you dismantled it?

4. hobowonkanobe

That was my Q. Bark2much. Jur, you may have water in the pipes of the burner assmbly.
    I used my 111B for 2 yrs on the road, I started it up the same way every morning and nite; gave it 3 pumps, opened the regulator letting some petrol into the spirit cup, ans just as the flames are dieing out open the valve. She worked a treat every time.
    That's the beauty of these, self priming and lighting if done right.

5. Jur

Thank you all that has been very helpful, and certainly shows that these stoves each have their own temperaments; mine btw being one of the older (1960's), leather bucket variety

And yes Bark2much, at first there probably was some water left inside the burner assy (after rinsing off the cleaning vinegar) which must have made that first start so very difficult; but by now that should have been evaporated completely (I hope?).

I'm planning to take this stove on my next motorcycle campingtrip - hopefully sometime in the next few months - and am confident that we'll get fully used to each other's habits then.

Jur