Found a Svea No 14

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by magikbus, Nov 30, 2016.

1. magikbus

I found this in a 2nd hand store in Victoria BC Canada today. I'll post more of a complete run of pictures when I get it cleaned up a bit. Unfortunately there is a bit of corrosion on the brass fount, nothing that would hamper it's strength I figure, but enough to make her just a bit permanently marred. If anyone has a "fix" for brass corrosion I'd love to hear about it. It is also missing the silent cap, so if anyone has a picture of what should go there, I'd appreciate that also. It had so much "patina" on it I had to do a mild "mothers" brush just to find out what model it was when I got home. Fortunately it has the original Svea cast iron grate with it, in great condition.

From what I can glean with a quick look in the reference gallery I assume it to be an early 1900s stove.
    Stan

P1010430.JPG

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @magikbus

Stan

The most corroded brass stove I've ever worked on was a Canadian Coleman Solus, shown HERE.

To get the etched brass looking OK required patience and the gentle use of Austosol, steel wool and a Dremel with a brass wire wheel.

I don't like using steel wool on a tank, but in this case it was required.

If I have small, stubborn bits of corrosion that can't be shifted with Autosol and elbow grease, I use the Dremel with a brass wire wheel.

Cheers

Tony

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Congrats on the score.
    re your "It is also missing the silent cap... "
    From little I can see it almost looks like you have an early Svea silent tube burner. "If" that does turn out to be what you have, you can return to SRG and read through Ian's no.14 post for details. thx omc
    tag @magikbus

4. MrAlexxx SotM Winner

I like it. Great find. :)

5. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

love it two times

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

7. magikbus

Thanks Duane, that's a good read.
    Stan