French Military Mess Kit

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by RonPH, Oct 26, 2009.

1. RonPH

Having looked at a lot of cooking accessories and searching for a good cooking-mess kit, I decided this item was suitable for what I needed. First, the case is made of aluminum (lightweight - not necessarily as this one is made to take abuse) real thick aluminum;

The first picture is the top view I suppose.

1256582066-SANY0099.JPG

The bottom view looks like this and comes with a bracket to hold the kit in one piece which snaps to the sides of the mess kit and has two metal spring toungues on the underside of the bracket holding it firmly and a half round handle on both sides to carry it. It also can be used if you intend to hang the pan over an open fire.

1256582218-FMK002.jpg

1256582521-FMK001.jpg

When you open up the tin, there is another pan inside half the height with a cover to cook a meal as shown here. It does not rattle inside as the outer cover holds down the inner pan/lid in place.

1256582587-FMK003.jpg

So you have two pans with matching lids.

1256582623-FMK004.jpg

I love to have rice with my meal and the bigger pan will cook just enough rice for two people. The gap between the inner pan cover and the outer pan cover could be utilized to put an aluminum pan gripper, food condiments or even a small stove.

I have to remind myself to pick up small non metal utensils that would fit inside. I have a plastic bag sealer and do a bit of emergency rations such as (two) 2 cup rice and (4) Japanese toppings packets consisting of dried bonito and seaweed so that there is no need for main meal if am kinda lazy to cook. Otherwise, it will also have just add water mashed potatoes and of course the just add water home style brown gravy to go with it. Now that's really being prepared.

Dimensions are 6" in diameter and 4 & 1/4" in height. Weight is about under 2lbs. The kit arrived and looked like it had been in the shelf for ages with dust clinging all over but after a good wash with soap and cleanser it looks good.

I might get three more for each of my kids emergency backpacks.

The item can be ordered at Billings Surplus shop (not an advertisement) and is in their website catalog for those interested. Its NOS so they claim and never been used.

Ron :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. itchy

Seen one like it somewhere. If it was the same, you can stack the 3 pots on one another, + a top lid to keep all the food warm while cooking.

3. RonPH

Yes, they make it also in stanless steel made in India or Taiwan IIRC but it is stacked and not one inside the other I believe. Anyway, this one is quite compact so fits well into the backpack.

4. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi Ron

The s/s stackable unit is called a "tiffin" i believe.

5. dday

dday Subscriber

Thanks Ron,
    They look like a nice kit and I might have to pick one up for the son who is in scouting! I really like the Swedish Camp Kitchen, but my wife wold kill me after spending $499 on one plus the shipping :roll: . Take care,
    Dan

6. Riddarn

I had it on my tounge..

It´s "Tiffin time".. :p :p

They used containers like that,stacked on top of eachother
    maybe as high as five or six, to deliver lunch to working people
    in India.
    It was a major industry, I have read somewhere that they
    distributed millions of lunches each day in that fashion.

I guess that it will be a very good kit to take out in the wilds,
    and with room for a little nice stove in it.

All my best

Uffe

7. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    The India delivery system is amazing. They carry the containers bundled together like ladders. Google it and you will see. I saw a show once where they show food being sent out in mass quanities and it is amazing the orders get to the buyer correctly. There was a show years and years ago called You Asked Fot It! they did an episode where they hid a mesage inside the food container and when it got to the person inside it was the message.

8. RonPH

Hey Dan, I like it a lot and does sit well on the small stovies I have. That one will see more use on my fishing trips and will keep the food warmer for an extended period. And they are reasonably priced guarranteed not to break the bank. Am sure your kids will love it albeit a tad heavier than the Little Scout mess kit being sold. Another one of my favorite would be the GI SS mess kit for as plates, easy to clean and put away.

Ron

9. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Hey Ron, how about a link, I can't find it at Billings army navy store...

10. RonPH

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. rik_uk3

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Said in my best 'Colonel Klink' accent...
    Veery Interesting ! :-k :lol:
    I might just have to get one.
    On a side note, I did get one of the 'Czech' kits a while back, good quality, nice and thick alu, good kit for 1+

13. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

one of my stove "hobbys" is to buy these cheap mess kits and try and find a stove that will fit in along with minor cooking gear,pot gripper,fork,ect.
    the fan powered Zip wood burning stove will fit into the Czech kit,without the second smaller pot of course.