1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glenwood Camp Cooker Circa 1910-1920.

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Doc Mark, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, All,

I have posted, quite a few times, about our wonderful, and seemingly very rare, Glenwood Camp Cooker stove, and the phenomenal Bluebird Oven that came with it. A wee bit of history, for those that haven't seen my comments on this stove before. I found this stove/oven right here in our own little mountain Village, at a small antique store. Asking price was $300, if memory serves, for the pair. I was not interested as the price seemed high, and there was no info on the stove. Time passed, and I watched the store move the stove/oven all over the place in their shop, trying to get SOMEONE to show interest. Finally, I went in and made them a cash offer, on the excellent advice of a fellow CCS Stovie, and VOILA, the Glenwood Camp Cooker and it's lovely Blue Bird Oven, came home to live with us. The final price was $175 for the pair, and I was quite stoked about that. As an aside, the only info to be had, at that time, came from the aged Mom of the seller. She was suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, and could only remember a few things about the set. Her own Mom had bought them, back in 1910, she thought, and their family used the stove and oven for car camping back then. She also related how to "prime" the burners, and to the seller, her comments seemed like babbling. When I told him that his Mom had gotten it right on the money, he was very happy, and even shed some tears, that his Mom had finally said something that made sense. Since he didn't know about priming stoves, I wonder how many other things his Mom said, and he misinterpreted it as babbling?!!

Here's are a few shots of the combo, back when I went in to make my offer, and bought them! You can see, right off, that this stove is gravity fed, from the gas tank, which is suspended above it, in the right back corner. I wondered how well this would work....... but, should have had better faith. It worked great, once the set was fettled!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Note the missing Mica sheet in the oven window. It was taped to the inside of the oven door, and has been put back where it belongs, now, and both looks and works, great!

4.jpg

5.jpg

Back when I found this, I scoured the 'net, looking for information on the stove, the oven, and the makers, Foss and Jones, in Pasadena, CA. The only info I had came from Flivver, when he turned me on to an excellent little book by F.E. Brimmer, called "Autocamping", in which Brimmer talks about the early car/caravan camping of the early 1900's. The Glenwood is mentioned prominently in Brimmer's book, which was published in 1923. At that time, and until yesterday afternoon(!), no other information had been found. So, I changed my dating from 1910, as the seller's Mom had remembered, to 1920-1924, plus or minus a few years.

8-Camping.jpg
    If you look on the second page here, a bit more than half way down the page, you can read Brimmer's comments about the Glenwood. In his neat little book he mentioned other popular stoves of that time, including the Tourist Camp Stove, the Kamp Kook, and many others.

9-Camping 001.jpg

Of course, I immediately began searching for my own copy of Brimmer's book, and was blessed when one very soon came to hand, and in most excellent condition!!

But, yesterday, after having been thinking about the old Glenwood quite a bit lately, I went online, and yet again spent some more time searching for more information. Finally, a proper combination of words in my searches paid off!! I found TWO excellent ads, from 1919, in which the Glenwood Camp Cooker is offered, and each ad has a bit more information about the stove, and the makers of the stove!! I now know exactly WHERE, in Pasadena, their building was, and have already mapped a course to drive the hour and a bit over there, and see what's there, now. It looks like a jewelry store, or possibly even a parking lot, from the satellite photos. Can't tell for sure. The map says one thing, the photos seem to tell another story. So, when time permits, I'm off to see for myself, and to spend an entire day, or two, in the Pasadena Library Research area, seeing what further information comes to hand!!

6-LG 1919 ad:Glenwood camp cooker.jpg

7-2nd ad for Glenwood camp cooker, 1919.jpg
    And, now, a few photos of my first attempt to get our Glenwood stove up and running. It was hopelessly clogged when I first tried to light it, and so, at CASG2, with Flivver's help and advice, I began to dismantle the entire burner sections, and proceed to try and clear the clogs.

10-gutted stove.jpg
    Something was jammed into each generator pipe, and would not pull free. Lots of heating (on Flivver's Coleman #1!!), and quenching ad nauseum, finally helped remove two rolled up brass mesh sheets, one in each burner pipe. After unrolling the absolutely gummed up mesh, I found rotted asbestos string in each one! This was quickly put into a plastic bag for proper disposal later. Lots of soaking in a citrus solution, and lots of elbow grease used, with a heavy toothbrush, and the mesh was finally "useable" again.

11-heat.jpg

12-proper foot technique.jpg
    You can just barely see a tiny tip of old brass mesh, peeking out of the end of the fuel line pipe.

13-quench.jpg

14-soak.jpg
    Finally, the gauze was "sort of" clean and kind of "useable". As it turned out, the only replacement material I had on hand, for the asbestos string, were strips cut from white cotton work towels, like the ones in the photo above. It worked OK, but not perfectly, and later began to dissolve it's cotton fibers into the gas line, which (yeah, you guessed it!) blew into and out of the jet, eventually rendering the stove clogged again!!! RATS AND MICE!!! :doh: ](*,)

15clean gauze.jpg
    Back when I setup the first CASG event, up at Montaña Del Oro Campground, near Morro Bay, CA, I had taken the Glenwood just for show and tell, as it was not running at that time. But, we surely did use the Bluebird oven, and it was never mine again!! NOW, it belongs to Sweet Bride, and she LOVES baking in it!! Cool! Below, displaying stove and oven at CASG1, and as you can see, a few other stoves dropped in to see what the "New Guys" in the collection were doing!

16-at CASG1.jpg

Meanwhile, SB put the Bluebird to excellent use, baking cornbread, and later biscuits and fresh cranberry walnut scones for ourselves, our fellow Stovies, and and campground guests who just happened to come through our camps during our CASG Show and Tell Day!! BajaBum, and Gordon setup displays, too, and we were all super busy that day, talking to a fairly large group, as each camper came through to see our "old antique stoves"!!

SB, working with the Bluebird.

17-SB with Bluebird:cornbread.jpg

Doc, stuffing in as many cranberry walnut scones as he can, before they're all gone!!

19-fresh scones from Bluebird.jpg

And, discussing the Glenwood with yet more campers, as they came through...

18-Doc and Glenwood:Bluebird.jpg

At CASG3, after having fettled the Glenwood back to something resembling working order, Sweet Bride made a delicious Oso Bucco on it!! You will see lots of yellow flaring in the flame, and it's not as stable as it should be. That was primarily because little bits of cotton towel were being forced out the jets, and later, we had to shut down the Glenwood, due to this crappy happenstance, and the clogging that followed!! It wasn't until CASG9 that I finally did what I should have done in the beginning. Yeah...... sometimes I'm a slow learner!! ;) :-s[-(

20-CASG3.jpg
    21-SB's Oso Bucco.jpg

22-Oso Bucco.jpg

23-.jpg
    The sharp-eyed amongst you may notice a small blue flame under the burner. The packing around the sealing nut was leaking. I later fixed that, too. It IS funny to note that the flame leak was the most blue flame we got at CASG3 on the Glenwood! :lol:

24-.jpg

25.jpg

Fast forward to CASG9, Sweet Bride and I were VERY occupied with another "new" stove, to us! That's where we paid for, and took possession of Flivver's incomparable Clayton and Lambert #3!!! Sweet Bride fell in deep love with it, just as soon as she first cooked on it!! I was in love (and LUST!) with it, too, as had been Mr. and Mrs. Flivver all the years that they owned it!! We are still very grateful that they finally broke down and sold it to us, and they know that we are honored to be it's caretakers, now!! Thanks, @flivver , and Mrs. Flivver!!!!

Be that as it may, however, I did make time to dismantle the Glenwood once more, and replaced the disintegrating cotton towel with cotton mop string, rolling it up in brand new brass mesh, which I'd cut to fit the fuel pipes! The Glenwood fired up like it had FINALLY cleared it throat, and MAN, did it look great!! It was still burning off the residue from me scouring out the fuel lines again, and from the new brass mesh, but, as you will see, it's a strong flame, with lots of controllable blue in it!! I think, after we burn a tank, or two, of Coleman Fuel through this gravity-fed Old Timer, he will work even better, with far less yellow, if any at all!!

26-CSAG9.jpg
    27-More like it.jpg

NOW, I am eager to spend a day, or two, in Pasadena, doing some deep research on the Foss and Jones Company, and seeing where they did business back in 1919!! Wouldn't it be wonderful if Foss and Jones actually DID make Glenwood Camp Cook stoves in 1910, as just as the seller's Mom remembered!?!?!! I truly believe that more excellent information is just round the next corner, and that, as time passes, and more research is done, we will learn more and more about this wonderful stove and oven combination!! Glory to God for having arranged to have this set right here in our Village, and for helping us to acquire it for a very, very fair price!!! I'll add more information, as it comes to hand, and many thanks for checking our our Glenwood Camp Cooker, and it's companion Bluebird Oven!!! So far, they are the only set of their kind that's been yet discovered!! But, as it has been with Mike's old Clayton and Lambert #3: his was the only one, at first, and remained so for more than 39 years!! Now, we know of three of those top of the line stoves, and SB and I are blessed to own two of those three!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Keep up the sleuthing, Doc! It's good to know the elderly Mom is being vindicated.

Cheers

Tony

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@Doc Mark
    Glad you got some more spare time to spend here on CCS than has been possible for a while Mark. Your post's a gem, a real treat.

John

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

@Tony Press , @presscall ,

Tony, and John,

Thanks, very much! Yes, I am truly hoping that the Mom's memory of when her own Mother bought the Glenwood and oven, is accurate. Mostly, because it would show that, maybe she wasn't as far gone as her sun had always thought! Secondarily, or course, is that happenstance would add to our knowledge about this interesting stove.

John, many thanks! I've had a great time, which is coming to an end, at least for a while. In truth, the last two days, I've "robbed Peter to pay Paul", and last night stayed up until 12:30 to try and catch up on the work load. Got up at 05:40 this morning, intending to work straight through the say, and then..... the bug to post the Glenwood bit me a bit too hard!!! Not only that, but I had been looking at another older stove, from around 1923, and had sent the seller a few questions. She seems a very nice lady, and we've worked out a transaction that will be good for both of us!! More later, but I've just bought another stove that I'd heretofore never seen before!!!! :-$ :-$ :-$ :D/ :lol:

NOW, it's back to work, for me, or else I'll be skinned, BEFORE SB cooks me up, and I fear she would choose a dull butter knife to do the skinning........!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

5. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

Those are fun pics Mark thanks for sharing.

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

A brilliant presentation!!!

7. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout United States Subscriber

What an adventure! :thumbup: Great results ,well done Doc. Jerry

8. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

A marathon post like the Doc of old.
    Absolutely brilliant! :D