1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good places to buy fuel.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Trojandog, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Many of us have problems finding reasonably priced fuel so I've started this thread hoping that members will add posts giving details of good locations to buy fuel. Not limited to the UK - info regarding any country is welcome.

I know there are not many members in Sussex but here's my contribution:

Paraffin/Kerosene on self-serve pumps at the following 'LocalFuels' filling stations in Sussex, UK (75.9p per litre when I bought some today, also have red diesel at 99p per litre):

Hawkswood Service Station, A271, Hailsham, BN27 1UG
    Horam Service Station, A267, Horam, TN21 0BN
    Clayhill Service Station, A26, Nr. Lewes, BN8 5RU
    Selmeston Service Station, A27, Nr. Polegate, BN26 6UE
    Bolney Cross Service Station, A272, Nr. Cowfold, RH17 5QY
    LocalFuels Depot, B2192, Shortgate, BN8 6PH

Panel Wipe (Naptha) £11.99 for 5 litres at Autopaints Brighton, 93 Westbourne Street, Hove, BN3 5FA

Regards,
    Terry

2. rik_uk3 United Kingdom

Good thread idea Terry.

Down here in South Wales I'm in a fuel 'black spot' the only 'local' place is charging @£16 for panel wipe and Aspen is down toward Swansea so I rely on a mate picking it up for me and I collect at camp.

3. ryland United Kingdom

very useful having just paid 6.99 for 4 ltrs paraffin at ripoff B&Q ^^

4. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Currently 59p a litre at the Localfuels outlets I listed above.
    Terry

5. webster Germany

Here in Germany there is a seller on ebay who sells "Bremsenreiniger ohne Aceton" which is "brake cleaner without acetone" in english.
    That is basicly white gas or "Waschbenzin" in german.
    It costs like 50€ for 30 liters if I recall correctly.
    I haven't tried it but other members from the pelam.de forum use it.

greets
    Simon

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

7. sa3spd

sa3spd United States Subscriber

Hi,

Here in the States we have three liquid fuels that are fairly easy to find, if a little pricier here in Southern California than other parts of the country.

Coleman fuel (white gas) is available at Wal-Marts, many sporting goods stores and sometimes supermarkets/small markets in areas where camping is popular. Prices (SoCal) are running from about $13-$17 USD per US gallon. Sometimes other brands are found, but it seems they're disappearing quickly.

Both Coleman and MSR sell a "boutique" version of white gas, at prices from around $6-$10 USD per US quart. Wal-Marts sometimes have the Coleman brand. Some of the chain sporting goods stores sell either Coleman or MSR. I've tried Coleman's version, and am not sure they're worth the extra price unless one's fuel bottle is dry and they're the only thing available!

Kerosene (paraffin) is available as what's called K-1 kerosene, and advertised to be fairly clean burning in kerosene heaters. Most big box home improvement stores and hardware store chains have it. Packaged in 1 gal, 2 or 2 1/2 gal, and 5 gal sizes (all US gallons), prices run from about $12 USD/gal for a single gallon, to around $9 USD/gal in the 5 gal size.

There's also a "synthetic" kerosene, or "kerosene alternative" called Klean-Heat. It's a little harder to find, but is made by one of the big K-1 distributors, so "the usual sources" are good places to start looking. Price runs about $11 USD/gal. I don't have a kerosene stove, but have used it in wicked lanterns (storm or hurricane style), and it does burn cleaner with a lot less noticeable odor than K-1 in them.

Rick C

8. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Great idea for a thread Terry. Alas, I'm in the sort of fuel blackspot that Rick spoke of in terms of no sources for cheap paraffin, although I can get Aspen a short drive from my workplace, at:

Horn Garden Machinery, Unit A, Tom Horn's Yard, Claughton On Brock, Preston, Lancashire PR3 0RB. Tel. 01995 643999

The thread's inspired me to look harder for paraffin ...

9. webster Germany

A widely available version of kerosene in Germany is barbecue lighter.
    You can get it in most supermarkets and hardware stores.
    One has just to be careful to get the mineral oil based version and not the ethanol gel.
    In hardware stores it is often overpriced.
    The price in supermarkets is around 2€ per liter bottle.
    Another option here is lamp oil.
    It's a bit pricier than the bbq lighter but often of better quality/pureness.
    Although you should stay away from organic(bio in german) and scented/coloured lamp oil.

Cheers Simon

PS:
    If you're in Germany
    "lamp oil" is "Lampenöl" and "bbq lighter" is "Grillanzünder" in German

10. Stonehopper

Stonehopper United Kingdom Subscriber

Love the way some German words are almost self explanatory.

Lamp oil in the UK is often laced with aromatics, which do not do much good to to generators in pressure stoves/lamps.

11. wahiba

wahiba United Kingdom Subscriber

GOoutdoors.co.uk the camping chain were selling ethanol and meths in larger than 500ml containers. might have been 5l or some odd size inbetween. Ethanol definitely clean substitute for meths.

Pauls hardware in Silsden sell Paraffin, but it is pre-packed and aint cheap (although I'd rather Paul had the profit than B&Q)

12. Stonehopper

Most expensive paraffin I saw on offer was a four litre pre-packed can for £9.99 - hardware shop opposite Chalfont & Latimer Station. And that was five years ago.

13. OldGreyDog United Kingdom

In the south of Essex, McGregor hardeare shop (Kiln Road) sell paraffin by the gallon (take your own can), and Blackwater Fuels (http://www.blackwaterfuels.co.uk at Tollesbury & Bicknacre) sell 28sec oil at a reasonable price - i've been using this in my lamps and camping stove for a while now with no problems.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  14. Stonehopper

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  15. Pietromax

Pietromax Philippines Subscriber

Here in the Philippines, kerosene can be bought at almost all pump stations at around $1(45-52 pesos) per Liter. its called kerosene or "gaas"(pronounced as the first syllable in "lady GAga" and "ASS" (donkey)

16. Darto501

Darto501 United States Subscriber

To the cigar store clerk:

Gaga ass please!
    A what?
    A pint of lady donkey!

17. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

For Tasmanian kerosene buyers:

Sandy Bay Caltex (Regent Street), Kerosene @ $1.91/litre.

Cheapest kero around (better than eBay $80/20litres)!

Cheers

Tony

18. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day . for Aussies .
    Bunnings will get Shellite in a 20 litre drum .
    last time it cost me $80 something .

kerry

19. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Subscriber

:-k I must be pronouncing Lady Gaga incorrectly, then. :doh: Still, I rarely, if ever, feel the need to bring her name into a conversation so it's not likely to present a problem. :p

BTW, Pietro - if you ever come to the UK, the other name for a donkey is not pronounced like 'arse'. These are two ENTIRELY different things... ;) :lol:

20. dday

dday United States Subscriber

I am in an area of Ohio that has a large population of Amish families, so white gas (Coleman fuel) and clear K1 Kerosene is sold from the same type of pumps that we fill our cars from. I buy my fuel in Middlefield Ohio and just paid $4.90 per gallon for crystal clear white gas (Coleman fuel) and then paid about $4.20 per gallon for K1 clear Kerosene all pumped into my own containers. Actual Coleman fuel in the 1 gallon cans cost about $13 a gallon at out local Walmart stores and packaged gallon containers of clear kerosene at most home improvement stores are close to $10 per gallon to give you an idea of what things cost that are prepackaged.