1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gypsy Model 10 U.S.

Discussion in 'Coleman No:10 Gypsy' started by StanDahl, Apr 18, 2014.

1. StanDahl United States

This greasy little stove is pretty unique compared to most other Coleman models. It is a bargain model, and pretty small for a suitcase stove, smaller than even a 425. It has several unique features, such as the wind wing brackets, the lack of legs, and the fact that it requires an external pump. It is also the only Coleman suitcase stove to have wires to operate both the preheat feature and the auxiliary burner. This is the only U.S. stove that actually has a name, not just a model number. It is only one to have a fitted snap-shut latch-less lid rather than just a flat lid with flip-over legs. They were made from 1927-1933. They made lots of them, but you hardly ever see them. I'm guessing most were run into the ground and then junked like an old Chevette.

It's a great little stove and could use a full restoration, but I use it pretty often to cook breakfast on the patio. I'm not one to repaint a stove unless it's a complete basket case. The upper parts of this one have already been repainted with a brush, but I suspect if I strip and repaint it I will stop using it, so I think I'll just leave it as it.

I tried to label the operating rods, but I don't know if it's very clear. You can probably see the details much better on ScouterJan's gorgeously restored model 10.

John

1397858923-A.jpg

1397858971-B.jpg 1397858982-C.jpg 1397858992-D.jpg 1397859003-E.jpg 1397859015-F.jpg 1397859026-G.jpg 1397859037-H.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. rbhodges

rbhodges United States Subscriber

Another nice suitcase. I like your labeling on the last pic. Much of this sites use for me, is as very useful reference tool and details like that can help a lot. Thanks

Rick

3. snwcmpr United States

Another outstanding example of what must be a fine collection.
    Thanks Stan,
    Ken in NC

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

The elusive Gypsy!

The missing link in my collection.

Thanks for sharing,
    sam

5. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

:clap: real nice John, I had heard there is also a model w/o the tank cover. Its odd that mine was brown under the rust, never seen another brown Gypsy b/4. True story, met a gal, a new collector,at the last PNW gathering, she had a Gypsy set up in her display, asked her where she got it. She answered an add about lanterns, the old guy says sorry, sold them all but I have this stove, you can have it for free cause the lanterns were all bought up
    Jan

6. StanDahl United States

Y'know, the parts lists over the years only show the model 10 without the heat shield, but I've never seen a real one without it. (I haven't seen very many of them, but they've all had the shield.)