Hauck and Son Meths Stove *

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Doc Mark, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, Friends,

Here is a very small, but nicely designed, Meths stove, with the Patent date of 1872. This is the oldest stove in my collection, and it was made by C.J. Hauck and Son, in Brooklyn, New York. I was told by a collector of Civil War equipments that this stove was originally designed as a US Cavalry Officer's tent stove. I comes with it's own leaded tin pot, with handle, pot supports, burner, snuffer, and also a lamp attachment, which turns it into a small lamp, or sorts. I bought this stove, many years ago, at a local swap meet in California. I later saw on on Ebay, which was purported to be having been designed for Nurses, to warm convalescent's milk, or tea. It's nicely made, and works very well.

1354760013-DSCN1502.jpg

1354760020-DSCN1501.jpg

1354760029-DSCN1500.jpg

1354760036-DSCN1498.jpg

1354760048-DSCN1497.jpg

1354760006-DSCN1496.jpg

And, finally, here it is, burning merrily away, amongst some of it's Meths Bretheren! :D 8)

1354760058-DSCN2042.jpg

So, there you have it, Lads. Thanks for checking out my old Meths kit, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. G1gop United Kingdom

Doc,
    I am SOOOOO envious of your collection!
    I love meths stoves the most and never see them up for grabs.
    Well done
    Alan

3. oops56

There was one up last week on e bay almost went for but it said one piece missing if i knew what it look like then i would have got it doc is one week to late [ show and tell ]

4. Doc Mark

Hey, Alan,

Thanks, very much, Mate! As has been said recently, when one of us owns a stove, and shares it with everyone, we ALL "own" that stove! So, in a sense, you do have this one, too, even if it's only here at CCS! Thanks, again, for your kind comment, Alan, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Doc Mark

Hey, Robert,

Yeah, I saw that one, too, only it was probably a month ago, when that stove was first listed. It had an opening bid of somewhere around $50, and I decided it wasn't worth that price, to me, as it was missing the lamp attachment. I probably should have bought it "for parts", but since mine is complete, and none of the parts are moving ones, decided against it. If I see it again, I'll give you a shout, if you're interested. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. oops56

If i knew what i know now i would have got it now that i see the missing part oh well next time

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Doc

Aren't those very old meths stoves fantastic??!! :D :D

8. hobowonkanobe

That first one is a trip, I like the whole break down INTO the pot.
    1870s??? WOW, is that the one you were posting as your oldest stove?

9. Doc Mark

Hey, Hobo,

Yep, that's the one. I would imagine that, eating anything out of that leaded pot, couldn't have done anyone any good at all!! :shock: :shock: Neat little setup, however, and it doesn't weigh much, either. Thanks for asking about it! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc