1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Shaw & Sons (JS&S) - 'The Lamb' petrol

Discussion in 'John Shaw & Sons (JS&S)' started by Trojandog, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Another example of the petrol version of the John Shaw & Sons (JS&S) Governor 'Lamb'. Picked it up from Ebay. Fully expected it to go for three figures (well beyond my budget) but was pleasantly surprised when I got it for well below my fairly modest maximum bid! It was described as a 'Miniature Petrol Stove' so perhaps the big buck collectors in the far east missed it.

This is 'as received' (no keeping the patina with this one). I have not cleaned it:

1344973739-IMG_5665_opt.jpg

No case and it is missing the travel cap and chain (the stove has no control valve so if transported with fuel in the tank, it could leak out of the jet. The travel cap was screwed on in place of the bell to form a seal over the jet).

On receipt, I did a dunk test in hot water to check for leaks, fuelled it up, primed and lit. Burned with a green flame for the first minute or so then settled down nicely:

1344973793-IMG_5679_opt.jpg

After firing it up I gave it a proper clean and polish:

1344973858-IMG_5684_opt.jpg

1344975390-IMG_5688_opt.jpg

This petrol stove appears to have come in three versions:

School lab version: (Image courtesy of Kerophile's post Link) : - this version came with three different burners: Fishtail, roarer and bunsen (shown):

P1000156_edited.jpg

Tripod version: (Image courtesy of Bom Bom Bom Bom's post Link) :

1238662328-P3310055_opt.jpg

Cased version: (Image courtesy of Presscall's post Link) :

1255468895-Case_it_Pic_7.JPG

Discussions in the Stove Gallery date these to the 1920/30s and they pre-date the Primus 70 etc.

There are two types of tank cap. Flat type and winged type (Presscall's image):

1344975951-IMG_5683_opt.jpg 1255469109-Filler_cap_Pic_19.JPG

There are also two handle designs. 'Circular' type and 'following tank contour' type (Kerophile's image):

1344976171-IMG_5681_opt.jpg 1339751055-St.104.-Lamb-with-conical-4.jpg

A 1924 advertisement shows the round handle and flat tank cap (image courtesy of Mick Emm):

1238105748-lamb_1924.jpg

I would venture to suggest that the flat tank cap and round handle version is therefore the earlier version. The round handle has only a very small contact point with the tank so would be prone to knocking off. The handle contoured to the tank is much more secure.

The stove had no case but it fits perfectly into an old Brit Army No7 case I had spare:

1344978180-IMG_5686_opt.jpg

A line up for size comparison:

1344978266-IMG_5689_opt.jpg
    Left to right - Coleman 442, Radius 42, Brit Army No7, Svea 123, Primus 71, 'The Lamb'.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Ian

Ian United Kingdom Subscriber

Pardon me for being a picky so-and-so but the 3rd stove from the left in the comparison line-up above isn't an Army No.7. It looks like a regular Optimus 80. An Army No.7 is an Opti 80 tank with Svea 123R topworks, thus.

3. Trojandog

Hi Ian. For some reason it's an Optimus 80 tank with a 123 (not 123R) burner. Not sure why. It came in a No7 case. Maybe the burner got replaced at some time. Dunno. I actually prefer the non-R burner anyway - I've never got on with built in cleaning needles.

Regards,
    Terry

4. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Terry

I remember reading somewhere, I think it was in the advertising literature, cant remember whether it relates to yours though, there was no tin supplied with one of the models.
    I reckon the wing nut filler caps were changed/introduced later. The rounded filler caps got very hot, burnt fingers.
    Best
    Ian

5. blaze

what a bueaty i love the lambs

regards Blaze

6. Ian

Ian United Kingdom Subscriber

So it is.
    Right & wrong simultaneously - serves me right! :lol:

7. blaze

Hello all

i am just about replace the missing handle on my lamb its the type with no pressure release and a round filler cap what shape handle should it have

regards Blaze

8. Trojandog

Hi Blaze.

I think that the only one I've seen without the pressure release is Bom Bom Bom Bom's Link . His handle is circular.

Regards,
    Terry

9. Trojandog

PS... Let me know if you need dimensions or close up pics.

Terry

10. Trojandog

Finally got around to tarting up the No7 case. As it is a military case and I didn't fancy Army Green, I had free reign to go with any colour. In the end I went for matt black VHT paint on the inside and 'Simoniz Steel Wheel' on the outside. Not too bad for my first attempt at spraying a case. Perhaps one day I'll come across a pukka Lamb case.

1345454918-IMG_5698_opt.jpg 1345454931-IMG_5699_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  11. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

Mmmm, Tasty! :thumbup:

12. Bom Bom Bom Bom

That looks pretty good to me. The one fettling skill I've never properly mastered to my satisfaction is spray painting so I'll give a tip of the titfer to your result.

Cheers, Graham.

13. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Truly handsome finish to that stove case TD.

John

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Morning, Terry, and All,

I recently "found" the neat little Lamb that you so kindly gifted me back when you and the Mrs. joined us for one of the CASG events! I wish it had come to hand in time to accompany us on the event from which we just recently returned, but I now have it in a place where it won't "get lost" in a huge box of other stoves, and it will be joining us on our next camping trip!! Many thanks for giving me this neat little stove, and I very much look forward to using it!! Best to you and Mrs. Trojandog, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

15. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I always thought the lamb was bigger than the rest so this is very interesting