John Shaw & Sons (JS&S) - 'The Lamb' petrol

Discussion in 'John Shaw & Sons (JS&S)' started by Trojandog, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Been hunting on Ebay again for more odd listings (aka…. bargains) -

This John Shaw & Sons 'The Lamb' petrol stove was poorly titled and poorly described with a dodgy single photo, so I took a chance and got it as the only bidder for the starting bid of £9.00.

It came with the travel cap which was a surprise as it couldn't be seen in the photo.

It is the version with the flat filler cap, circular handle and no pressure release stub. The filler cap seal was rock solid and the cork seal in the travel cap was in bits. Other than that, it is in good order. No case, but you can't have everything :lol: .

The decision as to whether to leave alone or clean & polish was made for me by the seller using a scourer or wire wool to reveal the engraved logo. Looks a bit silly with a shiny logo patch. Lit first time and ran quite happily once it had settled down:

1363647718-Lamb1_opt.jpg 1363647735-Lamb2_opt.jpg 1363647769-Lamb3_opt.jpg 1363647783-Lamb4_opt.jpg 1363647802-Lamb5_opt.jpg 1363647815-Lamb6_opt.jpg

I'll post more detailed photos once I've given it a wash & brush up.

Regards,
    Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. blaze

:clap: :clap: :clap: Congratulations, that's a nice stove. Of all the petrol stoves it's got to be one of my favorites - as old or possibly older than the Primus 70??

Enjoy a great stove

Blaze :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

3. islandpiper

Being a Shaw myself on my dear departed mother's side and a member of Clan Shaw, I'd own one of them just to make tea when I felt like it. Excellent find.

Piper

4. Vintagetwinshock

Hi, congratulations on winning that stove for a car boot sale price, :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :thumbup:

My #70 cost that just for the postage from South America plus the few bob for Stu's first class job, fixing it. There again, how do you put a price on these things when market forces are ruling the roost? I'm perfectly happy to be the proud owner of a nice vintage working teamaker & have since turned up an army tin dipped mug, either of WW1 or WW2 vintage, I don't know which. That makes a nice shelfmate for it. Being a metal mug, it should be able to stand up to a burner OK. I believe it's type may well have sat on a trench cooker similar to a 'Tommy's cooker'.? :?: As to it's age, I think it's anybody's guess. :?:

Best wishes for many fine cuppas to come,

John.

-------------------------
    If in doubt, brew up.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

You mentioned the absence of a pressure release 'stub' Terry.

That's the norm for a petrol-fuelled Lamb. It's just the paraffin-fuelled one has a pressure release.

Just as well.

Not exactly easy like a candle to extinguish, it takes a fair bit of lungpower to blow out the flame when it's got rorty - but you'll know that by now.

John

6. Trojandog

Hi John.

I think I used the wrong terminology. You illustrate it in this Link where you refer to it as a "pressure release pin" (a better description than mine :oops: ).

BTW, do you know if the burner unscrews from the tank or is it soldered in place? I don't need to remove it, but I noticed that the Shaw paperwork on CCS (shown below) states "This stove has an exclusive feature in an indestructible metallic wick which will not char and therefore never require renewing". But the same document lists "Part No 2721 Metallic Wicks", which seems odd if it will never need replacing, and suggests that access to the wick is possible :-k :

1210141455-lambstove_lab.gif

Regards,
    Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Ah, I see what you meant Terry. I was slow on the uptake.

It's possible to see the tail of the metallic wick through the tank filler hole and taking a peek at it and taking heart that it was shiny and not a rusty mess is as far as I've got, since the stove works fine.

Your logic's flawless concerning the manufacturer making spare wicks available and therefore the stove having a means to instal them.

I can't see how there'd be any other way to do that but by unscrewing the burner stem. If I had a non-runner (wick detached or corroded) I'd give it a go but other than that, not.

John

8. Trojandog

I just removed the jet and you can see the top of the wick. Perhaps they were inserted down the riser tube from above? Like you, I'm not going to fiddle with a working stove, but I did wonder if maybe the wick could be pulled out with a pair of needle nosed pliers? But not worth doing unless the stove was knackered and you had a replacement wick to hand.

Terry

9. blaze

Hi all

My Lamb had a split vaporizer tube. I removed it and the wick with no drama, silver soldered the tube and reassembled the stove with a new wick and it works great! The metal wick is just a normal cotton wick wrapped in a fine metal mesh to prevent scorching and to aid vaporization. Similar effect to the plug fitted in the 96 stoves. I will try and find the photos

Regards, Blaze