Just got my first Optimus 8R

Discussion in 'Optimus No:8R' started by swedmiro, Mar 1, 2017.

1. swedmiro

IMG_20170301_205434.jpg IMG_20170301_205455.jpg IMG_20170301_205518.jpg

Took a few snaps. Its a transitional 8R with an 8 tin and a maroon cookie cutter. The tin is blue with some wear but clean from rust. The nickel plated tank has a small dent to the left of the tank lid. It is at the moment unlit but it will be my companion this summer.

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Not bad. I have some nice ones and some not that nice, but they are neat. Did not realize for the longest time that one of my 8s was a transitional 8R. One does have the 8R sticker over the embossed 8 on the case so that one is a keeper.
    Duane

3. Viscara

Originally Silicon Valley now in Netherlands.
    That is a nice one as hiker said some are not so nice and that one is a nice one. Nice tin as it looks to be in good order with the paint condition. also the control knob look to be good too. I would take care of it and hold on to it. Can I rub your foot and hope the lucky treasure hunter skills rubs off on me...

4. tofta

tofta Subscriber

Lucky it did not explode in the post. :lol::lol::lol:

Yes those are great little stoves – and the coffee is just as good with a dent in the tank. That I know from experience.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

I sort of like the 8 a bit more, but I guess it’s just because I have used that one the most. It is not often one find that old a stove with such a nice case, so you did good spotting that one. And I suspect you got it very cheap …

A good little fettle and you will have a companion for years to come.

All the best, e

5. swedmiro

@tofta actually, that was another stove. The Gazoline filled one was a Primus 71 in an awful shape. The user had been using regular unleded Gazonline instead of the 4-stroke alkylat as recommended.

6. shocker

Apologies for my ignorance but what is the difference between the two fuels ? Im not implying that they are the same, I would just like to know - the info could come in handy some day...

....thanks !

7. tofta

tofta Subscriber

OK. I took a chance as you had a dating.
    I was a bit unpopular at our local post office (at a grocery supermarket) last autumn as I got a packet dripping paraffin – the very smelly kind of paraffin.
    I guess it’s a part of the game.

All the best, e

8. swedmiro

The ordinary Gazoline in sweden is called Bensin, the thing that comes out of the pump into the car. For lawn mowers and other engines in the garden or woods you can buy alkylat-bensin which is pure with no additives and burns VERY clean. It is quite expensive though.

9. shocker

Oh, like the stuff you get in the states for running light machinery, doesnt absorb water to mess up carbs that are left unused for a while ?

10. swedmiro

Yes, that's one of the advantages. Also keeps your small engines healthier for a longer time.

11. swedmiro

oh..and also kills you less fast than the ordinary stuff.

12. shocker

Cool ! Nothing like a slow, lingering death to cheer yourself up !