1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Juwel 33

Discussion in 'Juwel No:33' started by Etherman, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Etherman

Etherman United States Subscriber

I find myself lucky having stumbled onto this find. I stopped into a consignment shop and asked if they had any stoves. They quickly replied with a no. after a quick look around the store I began my departure. As I was out the door the store clerk said did you check upstairs. I said not aware another store is upstairs I will have a look. Same response when asked about stoves he said unlikely.
    Located in a nice wooden display case were the stove, funnel and parts tin, in various spots. Fetched it for an unbelievable price and now it has a place with a greatly appreciated owner.

Ive read that the Jewel 33's were issued to German military armored vehicles crews. Also have read they were used in mountain expedition crews. My understanding is the esbit folding stove was the standard WWII stove issued.

image.jpg

2. Etherman

Inscribed on the brass fount

Juwel 33 CTR5 Gustav Barthel Dresden NUR FUR BENZIN alessence for benzine gasoline

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Great find! And, after all these years it still performs beautiful, wow! Possibly a "war trophy" brought home by one of your boys after WW2. Does it have an eagle stamp somewhere? As far as I know, they were also sold to the public before the war, not so sure when the N°34 took over.
    I am not to sure about the armoured veh's, but you are right about the (elite) mountain troops. Also yes, the 'low' footfolk used the Esbit stove, as did I when doing my national service in the Belgian army in the seventies (still have 2 of them and some fuel:content:). Dunno if they still use them, I'll ask one of my serving friends.

Best regards,

Wim

4. Etherman

Hi Wim

I would tend to agree with you in that this could have been an elite mountain group issued stove. It's just speculation from what little I have. The first pic shows a missing bottom cup. Long expeditions that this may have endured equals desire in shaving weight. Since one of the cups is gone both size and weight was possibly reduced. As old of a stove I believe this to be it's merely speculation.
    Fuel tablets in my opinion still have a respectable value. Nearly all of my stoves require a liquid or vapor storage which easily can be lost to atmosphere. Here are the contents in the hinged tin. image.jpg