1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Juwel No.12

Discussion in 'Other Juwel Models' started by igh371, Dec 21, 2016.

1. igh371

igh371 United Kingdom Subscriber

DSC05094.JPG

This Juwel No.12 2-pint stove seems to be very similar in most respects to the Juwel No.15. The key differences are that, firstly, this is a roarer burner, not a silent burner, and, secondly, that, on this No.12 at least, all of the tank legends except the Juwel name and the number are in Chinese characters!

DSC05086.JPG DSC05087.JPG DSC05088.JPG DSC05089.JPG DSC05092.JPG DSC05091.JPG DSC05090.JPG DSC05093.JPG

Nothing at all of what you can see in the pictures was visible given the thick covering of filth that enveloped the entire stove. What you see now is the remarkable result of a mere 1/2 hour of soaking in a mild citric acid solution, some sensitive attention from a tooth-brush and chamois dry-off:thumbup:
    Can anyone make sense of the Chinese legends (assuming that I have photographed them the right way up:oops:)? And dating, at a loss with that too, maybe the combination of alphabets on the burner might give some clue with that? Help needed!

DSC05095.JPG

2. igh371

igh371 United Kingdom Subscriber

Well, a reliable translation of the tank base Chinese inscription is a little underwhelming: it seems that the text here DSC05093txtclose.JPG simply reads 'Made in Germany' :doh:. Still, it is useful to know with certainty:lol:.
    My informant also says that the larger inscription on the top is some sort of non-specific, general, description of the production company.
    Ian.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Ian, you have an interesting stove there.
    I can't help with the Chinese lettering but for the Russian Cyrillic, I guess the same situation applies as to Swedish-made stoves:

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/cyrillic-lettering-on-swedish-stoves.26123/#post-265699

The Cyrillic inscription on the burner of your stove is in the old orthography, so the burner is likely no later than the late 1930s, and could be considerably earlier.

The fabricated pan-ring also looks 1920-30s

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.