1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Juwel No 6 Discovered in the U.S. of A.!

Discussion in 'Juwel No:6' started by Stovost, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Stovost

Stovost United States Subscriber

Greetings,

Luck has found me again! From this completely random shot, of some Coleman items of interests, posted by a fellow member of a Facebook Coleman Collector Group, at the Group page, I spotted a gem of much more interest to me! Can you spot it in the pic?

Juwel Stove in Antique Shop.jpg

Yup! A Juwel No. 6! Complete with a Box, Original Pricker and it's ORIGINAL FLAME SPREADER!
    I had to have it! Unfortunate thing though, after contacting the poster of the pic, he admitted to me, that he couldn't remember the name of the particular shop the Stove was in, having been to so many shops that day! WHAT???!!! All he could remember, was that it was in Hendersonville, NC! I immediately got on the Internet and started contacting as many shops as I could find there with websites, and sent them a desperate e-mail and the photo, asking if this booth, was in their shops! Two replies came back and both said no!

Weeks went by and I patiently and repeatedly contacted the original poster of the pic and tried to jog his memory, but to no avail. An entire month went by and he FINALLY contacted me with news of his Father-in-Law's, who made the antique excursion with him's recollection of the whereabouts of the Stove! WOOHOO! Finally!

I contacted the shop and they indeed had the Stove and after many texts of pictures and some negotiating, I purchased the rare beauty and had it shipped to me, without ever actually laying eyes, or hands on it! The rarity and probability of having another chance at ownership of one, took precedence over my hesitation!

She'll need some soldering, fettling and some parts, as well and is currently on the back burner, if you will, having so many other projects going presently, but as I say, the time to buy something so rare, is when you see it! Can't wait to fire it up, when it's time comes!

Can someone please date the Stove for me? I've shown some pics of some markings I found on the Stove. One a "J", is on the Fuel Cap and the "R", or "B", is on the Bottom. Also, it appears that there may have been some name plates that someone removed, is that the case? The Solder remains, are seen in the pic of the Stove with the Flame Spreader, leaning against the Stove.

Please enjoy the pics!

Juwel Stove Box.jpg

Juwel Stove in Box.jpg

Juwel Stove As Found.jpg

Juwel Stove Flame Spreader.jpg

Juwel Stove Name Plates.jpg

Juwel Stove Pump and Fuel Cap Unfettled.jpg

Juwel Stove Fuel Cap Marking.jpg

Juwel Stove Bottom Marking.jpg

Juwel Stove Pump Unfetteld.jpg

2. snwcmpr United States

My research had them at 1908-1914.
    I have one with stress cracked tank and without the flame ring. (Don't lose the flame ring)

3. Stovost

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Really?????!!!! That old???!!! I'm shocked! It shows it's age, but I didn't realize, that old! Thanks so much for the info!

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Great story and a wonderful stove.

5. Stovost

Thanks! Very excited about this new addition, to the collection!

6. Stovost

Can anyone clarify my confusion with the marking on the Bottom of the Fount? Is it and "R", or an incorrectly stamped "B"?

7. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

It looks like the captive bar above the pressure release screw has been removed. Not sure why anyone would do that. Might have been done at the factory or it may have broke off.
    Great story,I'm so jealous of that flame plate. I have been trying to find one of those for a while.
    Snow camper is correct,about 1907 till WWl when German products may have stalled in America but I think they still may have imported them again later until the late teens. Check the catalogs and the ads.
    The missing plate on your stove would show it was sold out of Boston.

8. Doug L

Looks like a B on this one.
    IMG_2222.JPG

Captive bar
    IMG_2221.JPG
    two missing plates
    IMG_2254.JPG
    I may have those missing plates

9. Stovost

Thanks Doug, the story of the first sighting and the following hunt and purchase is a great addition to the discovery! The entire process was such an agonizing, yet exciting adventure and left me drained with the ups and downs of it! To see it, although on the Internet, right in front of me and then not be able to locate it, was excruciating! Weeks of e-mails to potential Shops and explaining the whole unusual inquiry, only to have either no reply, or a reply of "no sorry, that booth isn't in our shop", was taxing, but I was hopeful and determined, to locate and obtain the Stove!

To finally get an actual location and to at that point, actually converse with on the phone and through e-mails, the shop owner and through them, the Stove owner, was so relieving! The whole process took approx. a month plus! All along through the search, praying that, as my luck is such, to not finally locate the correct shop and find out that the Stove had already been sold!

The extremely harder to find Original Flame Spreader, was just Icing on the Cake and to have found it with a Box, is beyond belief! It's missing a few items and will need soldering to where the Fount and Burner Coupling are affixed, but it's safe and awaiting it's turn at restoration!

Thanks so much for your interest! It brings me joy, to share the finding of such a Stove with you all!

10. Stovost

Dave,

Yes, yours does look like a "B". Do you know what that signifies? And the "J" on the Fuel Cap?

I saw that the Pressure Release Screw "Captive Bar" was missing from the Fuel Cap. Unfortunate, but certainly wasn't going to keep from the purchase.

A Ha! The missing Plates! Very Cool! I figured something should have been there! What do the two plates say, Doug? Would you be willing to offer the plates you have, for sale?

Never mind about what the plates say, I just figured out the "Top" Plate says, "Made In Germany"! I Like it!

11. snwcmpr United States

An I am an hour away from that shop.

12. Stovost

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! See what I mean about hoping it wouldn't have been gone, before I was able to locate it! WOW! Too funny! I'm nearly 15 hours away! The shop owner suggested I stop by the shop, to save on shipping costs!!!!!!

13. snwcmpr United States

Honestly, i would have done that for you.
    And, I'll pass through Mass soon.

14. Stovost

That's very generous of you! I'll keep it in mind for the next Juwel #6 I find down there! Hahahahaaha!

15. Funfundfunfzig

Funfundfunfzig Australia Subscriber

Well done! Your persistence paid dividends! Great chase and capture!

16. Stovost

Thanks! The thrill of the Hunt, is certainly part of the Capture, isn't it? The reward, was sure worth the persistence!

17. Doug L

Stovost here is what I have

AA.JPG AAA.jpg

18. Stovost

It's not the pair, but I'd be interested in it. What would you need for it?

19. Doug L

no charge