1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Juwel no.6

Discussion in 'Juwel No:6' started by rensdb, Jan 22, 2015.

1. rensdb

rensdb Netherlands Subscriber

Hi all,
    I just bought this peculiar little stove last week.
    1421940516-IMG_8323.jpg
    In all its glory. The tank has a dent in the bottom, but nothing too bad. The patina layer is nice and even, I think I'll keep it this way.
    1421940538-IMG_8322.jpg
    The name. GB logo is Gustav Barthel of course.
    1421940548-IMG_8324.jpg
    This pump is HUGE, wow! And I also really like the loss-of pressure-vent-screw-preventor of what you may call it.
    1421940559-IMG_8325.jpg
    The flame spreader does not look original. It's rather thin, and somehow attached to the head. I have not seen an original Juwel flame spreader on this site, so I guess no one really knows what they look like. A mystery?
    1421940569-IMG_8326.jpg
    Also not sure if this is the original pan stand, but it fits pretty snugly on the legs. Too bad it's broken in two places. This thing is heavy! Cast iron, instead of flimsy sheet metal pressed in a pretty shape.
    1421940721-IMG-20150120-WA0008.jpg
    Taking it apart. The pump assembly, with the somewhat warped rubber ring in the back. This ring was definitely not a viton rubber ring as it was very soft and probably dissolved by the kerosene.
    1421940730-IMG-20150120-WA0011.jpg
    I could not bring it to pressure, so took out the NRV. Noticeably less of a pain in the backside than a regular NRV.
    1421940748-IMG-20150120-WA0015.jpg
    Now for the challenge: How do I get the NRV to work properly? There was a lot of yellow flaky stuff inside, I presume it to be some disintegrated leather seal or something. I cannot get out whatever is inside this NRV, so for the time being it's being soaked in a little WD-40.
    When I pumped, the air escaped out of the two holes on the side of the NRV, but I fear the air/kerosene can return through those holes just as easily.

Does anyone know what should be inside the NRV? Regular spring with a metal cylinder on top, topped off with a rubber or leather seal?
    I know Spiritburner has this exact stove. Can you help me out?
    Awaiting your reactions, and eagerly awaiting to fire up this old j(u/e)wel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. JacobLotz

JacobLotz Netherlands Subscriber

Wanted that one so bad... :p

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

Cap
    1421944648-image.jpg

5. Doug L

Do you have the spring and the pip?
    The spring holds the pip against the port so that fuel can't move out after each pump.

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hi, rensdb,

WOW!! Neat old Juwel stove, and very much worth fettling back to life, as you are doing!! Thanks, also, to Doug, for showing one in action. LOVELY!! I can hardly wait to see yours in action, and thanks for sharing it with us! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Hi rensdb

This is what your NRV should look like

Is the spring and the pip cup compacted down inside ?

1421946546-IMG_6678_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  8. Doug L

1421948339-IMG_1186__Copy_.JPG

I made a few of these for my Juwel stoves from a large brass wall plaque. The disc in your photos sits way too high.The 3 tabs or feet should fit between the spikes on Juwel burner and only have about 3mm clearance.

9. Doug L

Don't forget to change the fuel cap gasket and the large gasket where the pump assembly screws to the tank. No need for a lead washer at the vapor tube as it has a tapered thread and self seals with only firm hand turning.

10. rensdb

Thanks, all!

The pip and spring in the NRV are compacted inside, but I think the rubber in the pip is missing. Does anyone have tips to get them out? Heating the NRV with a torch or something?

I will change the gaskets, but probably need to cut one myself for that large pump assembly though...

I'll give it a test run with the current flame disc thingy to see how it burns, and will maybe make a nice spreader that fits between the spikes.

11. mmmilooo Bulgaria

Really nice stove. What is the diameter of the pan stand?
    Milo

12. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

If you had a regular NRV you could have put a bit of wire up through the hole and pushed gently onto the back of the pip holder, as there is no hole in this one. You could try boiling a pan of water, chucking the unit in the water, there may be enough air at the back of the pip cup, and the spring could push it out - failing that, heat the unit up with a blowtorch, let it cool down, then maybe pressure from the spring, bit of gentle pushing and releasing you may be able to get it out. I have done this many times. It works.

Viton can be bought relatively cheaply off Ebay, 100mm sq sheets, or try the Fettle Box

The spring is probably going to be knackered, replace it anyway - NRV's can be bought cheaply here in the UK, and use the spring from them.

Your bit that screws in to the bottom of the pump tube, will have to be re-soldered - (regular NRV's have a lead washer,which stops air coming up from the thread, resoldering yours acts in the same way ) You may get away with the solder that is on there, if not, solder paste can be bought cheaply off Ebay.

Look forward to seeing it working

13. snwcmpr United States

The more I look at this the more I like it.

Ken in NC

14. Gordon United States

rensdsb,

I have a few Juwels in my collection and may be trying to add a few more. I haven't purchased stoves from eBay in quite a while and was curious, if your Juwel 6 was an eBay purchase, what the winning bid was for that beauty? In reconditioning the NRV I have used a small hole punched bit of leather and it has worked well with the smoothest side of the leather against the hole it covered. Enjoy!!

Gordon

15. threedots New Zealand

Wow. What a lovely stove you have. Nice to see. John

16. rensdb

Thanks for all the advice. First I'll try to fix the NRV, so I'll keep you posted when I made some steps forward.

Gordon, I bought this one on the Dutch auction site Marktplaats.nl, a site less strict than eBay. I bought this one together with a beautiful Optimus kero heater (the one with a silent burner head covered by some heat distributor and a dome shaped reflector behind it) and a Sunflower stove (the one made for Sunflower Vacuum Oil company by Hipolito). Price for all three inc. postage was 50 euros. I was mainly bidding for the heater as I want to heat the NJN rocket stove storage with this unit, but the Juwel and Sunflower were included in the deal ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  17. rensdb

So, I heated the NRV with a torch and gave it a few taps, and our came the pip and spring. Turned out I could have just tapped the back using a hammer, as the pip has got a rod attached to it that fits into a hole in the bottom of the NRV. Looks like a different NRV than this picture, interesting!

When I get my hands on some Viton rubber I'll make a new rubber for the pip and some new seals for the filler cap and pump assembly.

1422460932-IMG-20150128-WA0000_opt.jpg 1422460951-DSC_0115_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  18. rensdb

Update: I managed to repair the NRV, by making a new Viton pip by hand and making a nrv washer form a plastic milk jug, and it's pumping now without losing pressure! The stove burns, but the new flame plate is still on its way from Doug L. Can't wait!

Doug helped me a lot with this one, many thanks to you, Doug!