1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lamb paraffin stove

Discussion in 'John Shaw & Sons (JS&S)' started by presscall, Jun 23, 2012.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Already having a Lamp petrol stove ...

Lamb petrol stove

... I was surprised and delighted to find this rarer Lamb paraffin version on Mick Emm's stall at Newark

1340480085-1.jpg

My friend Henry was taking photos and I was so taken with my find I didn't notice he got one of me, seconds after opening the box and thinking "Ahh..."

1340480094-2.jpg

Mick Emm

1340480102-3.jpg

Of course, it wasn't in the condition of the header photo when I got it. It was missing the jet nipple (unique to Lamb and with a smaller jet orifice than the petrol size) and had an old bicycle tyre valve (less the core) soldered in place as the air valve

1340480165-4.JPG

1340480174-5.JPG

You'll get an idea of the small size of the Lamb - smallest paraffin stove made I'd guess - here flanked by a Primus 96 and the petrol Lamb

1340480182-6.JPG

First job was to clean off the dirt. I knew I'd to remove the pump tube, which apart from the massive solder fillet holding it in the tank was projecting out of it too far. The bicycle air valve was discarded and a proper air valve (salvaged from a Thermidor) was prepared for soldering in its place

1340480190-7.JPG

First, I wanted to service the non-return valve and since the bore of the pump tube is too small for the smallest removal tool I have, I made one to fit out of an Allen key. The pump washer was irretrievably fossilised (meaning, like rock, and no amount of soaking in oil had any effect) and I'd to make one, since the smallest of Sefa's washers I had was for a Primus 96

1340480200-8.JPG

So, the jet nipple next. Eyeing up a generator tip from a Coleman 500 in my spares box it looked like it had the right thread form ... indeed it had. Jet orifice was about 50 times oversized though ...

Compared to the jet off the Lamb petrol stove, you can see the possibilities

1340480212-9.jpg

1340482039-10.jpg

Solution to get the Speedmaster generator tip to suit the Lamb was to use the technique I've had quite a lot of practice with in restoring lipstick burners, brazing in place a brass insert having a 0.23 mm orifice.

Here's the Speedmaster jet, bored out now and with a chamfer formed at the opening to take the insert, also chamfered ...

1340482068-11.jpg

... to fit like so (prior to brazing)

1340482265-12.jpg

The finished Coleman Speedmaster/Lamb hybrid jet nipple ...

1340482308-13.jpg

... which fits the burner riser stem perfectly

1340482517-17.jpg

Another item missing from the stove was the distinctive Lamb finger loop, which I made up from brass strip, brazed to form a loop rather than soldered, so that when soldering it to the tank, the joint wouldn't spring open

1340482479-14.jpg

A Primus 96 pump rod/assembly shown for scale alongside the Lamb's. I'd to make the pump leather

1340482492-15.jpg

1340482503-16.jpg

The finished stove - I've yet to work on the metal case, which isn't holed by rust but has lost pretty much all of the lithographed graphics it once had

1340482750-18.jpg

Priming the stove - looks like the methylated spirits has absorbed a lot of water

1340482766-19.jpg

Ignition!

1340482781-20.jpg

Actually, it got a lot livelier than that. A couple of strokes of the pump gets it going, but it soon self-pressurises and goes like ... well, I'll leave you to judge in more photos to follow in a 'reply'

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Robtz

Robtz New Zealand Subscriber

a scolded Tom cat?

3. presscall

Scalded NZ lamb maybe Robtz

1340484482-21.jpg

1340484492-22.jpg

1340484502-23.jpg

1340484512-24.jpg

1340484526-25.jpg

Tiny stove in itself, but boxed (which it has to be to use it, because of the pot rests), the size comparison with a Primus 96 evens up somewhat

1340484541-26.jpg

1340484554-27.jpg

1340484572-28.jpg

1340484583-29.jpg

What's left of the box graphics

1340484593-30.jpg 1340484610-31.jpg

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

Congratulations John. That was a great score & a very sympathetic restoration. I can't remember how many people I pointed that stove out to & said "That's rare & a bargain"

5. teletim United Kingdom

Cute
    Great job on the restoration.

6. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Its seems that we have another variation, my pump cap screws into the pump-tube, and the burner basket is different. I have got holes either side of the slots, on the burner basket.

7. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John congratulations on a fabulous score, and all so congratulations on a brilliantl documented thread and restoration.
    I thought the little Pifco, was the smallest paraffin stove, until seeing the lamb paraffin stove.With it standing side by the 96, we can see how small the lamb is, and with the pump tube removed, we can see how small the pump is just over twice the diameter of the NRV.
    A brilliant job you have done removing all that eccess solder around the pump tube and pressure realese screw and resoldering it all it looks so much better i know some like to leave it as it is as its part of the history but see it as a bad repair.
    I have resoldered quite a few badly soldered stoves, and it makes me wonder how many realy did leak from these joints,or was the real fault a hardened filler cap washer, and the previous owner seeing the washer still in place, beleiving the fault comming from a solder seam, and then reaching for a over sized soldering iron.
    Do you know John what the burnning time is on a full tank.Once againJohn well done on outstanding restoration and score

8. hobowonkanobe

if another is known and/or available, a budy of mine is lookin for something working and TINY,... I do believe this fits the bill.

9. Dutchmike Netherlands

Admiring the craft needed to give a rare stove a new lease of life; the notion of 'ability to own'
    is on my mind. Any idea of it's age? How does this stove cum housing compare to the Primus 70 in size? As usual, very captive story and pictures John, thank you! Regards, Mike.

10. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Presscall,

Have had a closer look at your pictures, you have got " Made in England " under the filler cap, same as mine.

As I said earlier, the burner basket and the pump are different.

Spiritburner has the Governor logo, on the side wall of his tank, which just shows the variations we have so far.

11. Lance United States

Another lovely little Lamb saved for the flock. Well done lad and may you retain such lovely Lambs for the future of our craft.

lance

12. loco7stove

loco7stove United Kingdom Subscriber

Fantastic work John :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 8) :thumbup: . as always 8) :thumbup: , George had my conical burner for his Lamb as it was languishing in my spares box & needed a good home :D :thumbup: all i need now is a fount for my nearly finished 123 :doh: :D :thumbup:

Stu :mrgreen: :D :thumbup:

13. linux_author

linux_author United States Subscriber

always beautiful pics, wonderful restoration, and best of all - FLAME SHOTS!

:lol:

thanks!

willie
    on the rainy Gulf of Mexico

14. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

excellent fettle John! Looks like a really powerful little stove too.

How long did the jet nipple repair take? Looks like that is a slow and steady job there with all the chamfering.

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Howdy, Presscall,

John, your work is absolutely stellar, Mate!! The jet replacement part is something that is so beyond any and all skills that I might possess, that I am gobsmacked at how yours turned out!! :shock: :shock: :clap: :clap: :D :D It doesn't get much better than that, me thinks!! Thanks for once again sharing a fine fettle, and outstanding result, John! All this talk of "lamb", of course, reminds me of an odd variation of an old rhyme, however..... "Mary had a little lamb and tied it to the heater, and every time it turned around, it burned it's little........." :oops: :oops: O:) O:) :whistle: :whistle: 8-[ :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry, my oddball sense of humor tends to work like that, now and again!) Great job, John! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. presscall

Many thanks to all for the kind and constructive comments, not least from the redoubtable - and evidently poetic - Doc Mark!! Thanks Doc and all.

Time I got around to answering questions posed.

Brian (Mr Optimus) asked how long this stove might run on a tank of fuel. About the same as a Primus 71 of equivalent size I guess, so an hour or so.

Paraffin burns hotter than white gas does in theory but I've found it's noticeable in practice in a stove or lantern of small size in terms of the onset of vapourising of the kero in the tank and consequent self-pressurising.

I've the Lamb petrol stove to compare it with and the behaviour of a couple of Optimus 930 paraffin lanterns and a Coleman 249 kero one (compared to something like a full-sized Petromax).

A quarter-of-an hour to pose for photos then boil a kettle has been the most I've felt comfortable with (!!!) given there's no pressure safety release on this stove.

Interesting point out of this is that the instructions on the box of the other Lamb paraffin stove in the Stove Ref Gallery says nothing about stopping the stove by releasing air from the air-valve, but says the user should blow out the flame - as with the Lamb petrol stove or a Primus 70.

Taking the view that having sourced and fitted an air valve I'd go ahead and use the darned thing, I did so when the stove had been 'lively' and got ignition of the hot paraffin vapour exiting the air valve (the exit hole of which I'd been careful to orientate downwards when I soldered it in place). This was no unquenchable flamer as would have happened with a petrol stove if the filler cap was released in those circumstances and was just a mild 'pop', but alarming nevertheless, but suggests that John Shaw, the makers, were aware of that characteristic and ensured their instructions didn't mention the air valve.

Ian (Iani) showed interest in the whereabouts, or absence, of the Governor logo - and had spotted the 'Made in England' script that wasn't too obvious in my photos.

Here's the Governor logo on the top of the tank ...

1340648503-32.JPG

... and the Made in England engraving on the tank wall below the filler cap

1340648522-33.JPG

John (Big BTU) wanted to know how long it took me to turn the Coleman Speedmaster jet nipple into the Lamb pattern one. Well, it's an absorbing handicraft re-jetting those lipstick burners, but practice has made perfect and makes it a quicker and surer process than with prototypes and the Lamb jet nipple construction wasn't much of a variation. An hour doing it at at leisurely pace and including tea break I recall.

Finally, Dutchmike queried the size of the Lamb compared to a Primus 70 and box. Here's a line-up that I hope makes it clear, with a Primus 70 unfinished (correction, unstarted) fettling project on the far left, and 'short' (Primus 71E) and 'tall' (Primus 71 from 1951) tanked Primuses alongside, with their respective boxes. The Primus 70 box, absent from the line-up because I haven't got one, is about the same size as the Lamb's I gather

1340648579-34.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  17. presscall

Age of the stove, Dutchmike? 1930's is as near as I can suppose. Although there are a couple of Governor catalogues from that decade in the Stove Reference Library both feature just the Lamb petrol stove and not this paraffin version.

Here's one of the catalogues

Governor catalogue, including Lamb petrol stove

John

18. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Like it lots John. :thumbup: Steve.

19. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Presscall

I reckon much earlier, I suspect there are a few more variations yet.
    Have you seen these adverts

20. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

As Iani has intimated the Lamb, in petrol form at least, predated the Primus 70/71. A feather in the cap of the British manufacturer I reckon.