M-1950 Question

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Greeley, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

Hello - I acquired my second M-1950, a Rogers 1951, at an antique store recently. Needed the usual NRV pip, pump washer, etc, all nicely supplied by Old Man Coleman. Also a new control knob as the old one was in quite bad shape.

Pic01.jpg

As you can see from the pictures I had to wrap the valve body with 3 or 4 layers of fuel-proof teflon tape, without which the valve would sit so low that the control knob had in the past actually dented the tank.

Pic02.jpg

Also note from the picture that the burner sits at a bit of an angle.

Pic03.jpg

The valve now sits tightly in the font with room for the control knob, without any leaks, and the stove burns with a clear blue flame (should have added a flame shot).

My question is - will this remain leak-proof and safe with these layers of tape?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

2. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

Looks to me like you are missing the valve wheel stop pin from the burner shroud. The previous owner may have broke or cut the stop pin off. Only time will tell if the Tape fails. The red valve knob will touch this pin when at full closed to full open. I do have a few stoves that the valve entered the tank more than I usually see but those are working just fine.

3. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

@HercL4D2 - Sharp eye! You are correct, it is missing, and yes, previous owner. I have a manual for the M-1950, so know the positions for off, light, run. I have a friend who is good at brazing, and will have him make the repair.

As you said, I'll keep an eye on the tape.

Thanks!

Tom

4. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber