1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manning and Bowman "Alcolite" Stove ca early 1900's

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Stovost, May 21, 2016.

1. Stovost

Stovost United States Subscriber

The latest Alcohol Stove completed and added to my collection. This one is a "Manning and Bowman" "Alcolite" Stove, manufactured in Meriden, Connecticut, U.S.A., in the early 1900's. It was uncovered, at a large Flea Market, in Brimfield, Massachusetts, U.S.A. Nice working example, (boil time of 2 cups of water, 5 mins, 23 seconds!) with a removable Cast Iron Grate and a built in "Primer", that when pumped repeatedly, fills the Pre-heat Cup". It took some fettlilng, to bring the Primer back to life, but it's just an amazing testament to the antique engineering and design, that a spring, over 100+ years old can be brought back to working order, with some penetrating oil and some gentle persuasion! Hats off to our engineering Forefathers! Please enjoy the pics!

Maning Bowman Alcolite Stove Side View.jpg Maninng Bowman Alcolite Stove Angle View.jpg Maning Bowman Alcolite Stove Grate.jpg Manning Bowman Stove Grate Embossing.jpg Manning Bowman Stove Grate Alcolite.jpg Manning Bowman Alcolite Stove Burning.jpeg

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

Love the fancy cast iron black-grey trivets on these against the chromed fount and the black frame. Just a handsome stove.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. expat United Kingdom

That is lovely! :thumbup:

4. fire bug

fire bug United States Subscriber

Beautiful stove!
    I did a double take however because when I was growing up we had a Manning Bowman electric dril, 1/2" so it was somewhat sizeable but well made. So I just did a search on the history and found this:

http://www.meridenhistoricalsociety.org/2014/page/2/

MANNING BOWMAN – AN OVERVIEW

Peter Slavinski – president of the Meriden Historical Society, has put together an exhibit of this prominent Meriden manufacturing company. From its inception (Middletown CT 1832 – moved to Meriden in 1872), the Manning Bowman Manufacturing Company was geared towards the creation, manufacture, and sale of consumer products for the American home. Chafing dishes, toasters, waffle makers, coffee percolators, curling irons, clocks, cocktail shakers and more. These were well designed, well made products that found their way into the homes of the very wealthy as well as the more humble homes of middle class America.

Like other manufacturing companies in Meriden, Manning Bowman affected by the depression. In 1938 Manning Bowman was sold to the Fostoria Ohio based Bursted Manufacturing Co (later to become McGraw Edison Electric, better known as Toastmaster). The company closed its Meriden operations in 1941 and moved out of town.

Anyway, nice stove and thanks for posting!

5. Stovost

Me, as well, Doug! Makes them appear so ornate and as if covered with Cast Iron Lace, I imagine.

Once again, thank YOU, for your support and shared respect of these fine old Burners!

6. Stovost

Thanks Expat!

7. Stovost

You're welcome, Fire Bug! Thanks for your support and the History lesson on the Manning Bowman Co., as well!