Member number 6000

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback & Problems' started by logen, Feb 3, 2016.

1. logen Norway

We are now almost 6000 registered members. Screenshot_2016-02-03-13-12-25.png @jbkim almost made it, welcome! :D
    But who will be number 6000?

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Interesting!

We had 6037 members when we vacated CCv3 last summer. I purged many members when we moved - those who registered over a year ago but had never visited or posted since registration.

We've had 1251 new members sign up since CCSv4 was launched on July 11 2015 so have made up for those I purged! I've been culling spammers so I'm confident they are genuine members. Sign up rate is roughly double since we moved. That's quite a growth curve!

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

WooHoo
    Congrats Ross!!

Quite a growth curve indeed,
    someone made a comment to your post of Aug last year,
    "Another point stove collecting is increasingly popular. ...
    I think the hobby is global and growing and we'll realize years from now that this was a growth spurt of sort."

Who said that... well, I don't want to mention any names but his initials were omc.

Gieorgi's "last week hunted" post, in this same meanwhile, has over 17,000 views... has me wondering if that is quite a growth curve too (seems like it) and if the two may be, to some extent, related.

thx omc
    tagging, again, @gieorgijewski

4. Spiritburner

@Siljan was our 6000 member (6000th 2nd time around!)

No congrats to me. It's the community who choose to come here!

Post, thread & attachment count are on the up.

Post count fluctuated on v3 between 1200 & 2600 over the year to June 2015. Since we moved it's grown month on month from 2127 posts in July 2015 to 3875 in January 2016. Since October 2015 threads have also increased month on month - up to 346 last month.

Stoves are still keeping us busy!

5. OMC

Above Ross wants to "credit the community", ok,

Congrats to Ross !!! and congrats to our camp stove community!!! Another CCS milestone is reached, 8000 members.
    Best wishes to all for a happy healthy year ahead.
    thx omc
    Forum Stats:
    Discussions: 33,512
    Members: 8,000

6. Longilily

You have a lot to answer for, Mr Mellows :lol: ;)

Congratulations CCS :clap: :clap: :clap:

7. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

Sounds good Ross, some very dedicated people here. There must be a lot that don't post, just look. It seems the same ones post all the time and a spattering of the others. In all a very inspiring site. Well done.

Cheers
    Rob

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Could be worth seeing if you can identify those users that havnt logged in for a year. If you can then you can put up a message saying please log in if you havnt for a while. Then a couple weeks later purge those that havnt logged in. Some people are members but view anomalously only logging in to post

9. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Why?

....Arch

10. geeves

I wonder how many people go to a forum and register to ask one question probably never to be seen again. Then sometime in the future go to that same forum for something else but cant remember the login so register again

11. ArchMc

Could be, but some of us (myself included) have "left" for a considerable time and then returned. It's nice to still have a user name and just be able to pick up and participate again.

....Arch

12. geeves

Obviously those paying the subscriber fee wouldnt get checked.
    If you look back through the last 6 months of the forum you will see 80% of all posts from less than 100 users and 99.9% of post from a maximum of 500 users. Where are the other 7500?
    This forum does better in this regard to a lot of others My clubisuzu forum has over 4000 but total posters in the last 6 months barely clears 100

13. ArchMc

Ok, but when I wasn't keeping up with the forum, I allowed my subscription to lapse. It was still nice to come back and find "I" was still "here". I just wonder why you think this is necessary. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

....Arch

14. OMC

Hi guys, I thought I'd mention above Ross mentioned he purges stagnant members, those who do not log in (I guess).
    geeves, i'm sure you're right vast majority of members do not post. Comparing hits/views may be enlightening as well (i'd guess beyond 7500?). PLENTY non-member readers/viewers link directly to posts from a google search, don't log in. They're here seeking details for stove(s), not to post. Occasions arise that they register to access more details and site functions. thx omc

15. geeves

Is there a limit to how many members the forum software can handle? We dont want the whole thing crashing down around our ears because of a few members that arnt actually here any more.

16. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@Spiritburner

Hi geeves,
    I may be wrong but I don't think that the number of members causes problems.
    However it is good that the displayed figures fairly reflect the number of CCS members.
    This is why on occasion Ross deletes the members who have shown no activity for a long time.
    I hope Ross sees this post and can clarify matters.

17. Spiritburner

I've done that when we've moved platform. It shaves some weight off the database. In the past the criteria has been something like members who signed up more than 1 years ago, never posted & never revisited since they day they registered. On the old software that will have been a lot of spammers. Far harder for them to get that far here. No plans to do it as a routine thing. It's been said I want the number to be as high as possible to make CCS look good but that was after I deleted a load of members - go figure! When we moved here I checked new members to see if they were bona-fide & I reckon over 99% are. I don't so much now - the spammer counter meaurea are pretty good. The ratio of posters to members has always been small. It's the same on most forums I think.

18. OMC

Stats are not accurate long term due to major changes (which will continue) and data purged and updated etc., but given that caveat, stats reflect, for short term, milestones and forum participation:

2017, Aug 23
    Members: 9,000
    Discussions: 34,920

2017, Jan 17
    Members: 8,000
    Discussions: 33,512

[ 2016, Feb 16 ]
    [ Members: 6,000 ]

IMO higher percentage / frequency of CCS hits while web searching is biggest factor for number of visitors / readers browsing site.

Re hobby:
    Readers / members increase here is but one measure (small part of bigger picture).
    Interest levels vary among lurking readers some may have a very high level of interest w/o registering. While some members may, one time, find what they need and not return.

Users or collectors, "classic" stove or not,
    heating food and brew-ups on a portable / camp stove in nature setting will continue.
    How or if this continuation relates to growth of our classic stove hobby and how we might evolve and expand for "next generation" of stoves and stovies is a trend to maybe watch and learn.
    carry-on, thanks omc

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  19. OMC

Ross,
    Thank you again for all you do to keep this humming along, so much that you do transparent to readers and membership.

If this is easy for you to answer:
    I just viewed "current visitors" I'm sure I've seen many robots in past (maybe a majority), not so many just now.
    Robots just confuse the question I have but there are still probably typical trends. So re: robots, be that as it may.

Question: Do you have a counter of # of CCS visits / hits per month?
    I am curious number 1, over past years are there consistent peak months / seasons that stand out?
    thx omc
    PS I guess, although I've avoided lamps to date, I'm curios how those CCS #s might compare with CPL?
    @Spiritburner

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  20. Spiritburner

The only robots I've allowed are bingbot,googlebot,yahoo! slurp All others are blocked at admin level within the software & by scripts on the server as some can often slow the site down by excessive spidering.

I'll get some stats later when I get a fresh login to the server panel.

In the meantime some usage stats:

CCS
    ccs_stats.JPG

CPL
    cpl_stats.JPG