1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military Valor 55?

Discussion in 'Valor' started by Shed-man, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Just got this Ex-Military Valor. It has no Model number but I think it is a No55. It has a silent burner and still has its pan-ring. It works very well and is in very good condition. The markings on the bottom of the tank are "Cat. No4906" the "military crows foot or broad arrow", and date "1951". It also has the marking "3D" on the bottom. It has three decals that are partly still legible; one is warning to use only clean paraffin (Kerosene), the next is warning about not attempting to light the stove too soon, and the third is the lighting instructions. I would like to know if it is a No55? and does anyone have one with the full decals in completely readable state?. Also does anyone know what the "3D" means?

1288692990-Valor_1.JPG

1288693029-Valor_5.JPG 1288693043-Valor_2.JPG 1288693055-Valor_3.JPG 1288693066-Valor_4.JPG

Steve.

2. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hi Again, Just asked if anyone has the stove with complete decals and wow! today found another one with the decals complete. Still no model number though, so still seeking confirmation that it is a No55. Best regards to all, Steve.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Steve, I reckon you probably have a Military version of the Valor No.55 stove.

Here are some photos of a "donor" civilian Valor No.51 that I have, and it shares several features with your stove:

1288799056-Donor-stove.-Valor-No.51-1.jpg

1288799068-Donor-stove.-Valor-No.51-2.jpg

1288799089-Donor-stove.-Valor-No.51-3.jpg

1288799118-Donor-stove.-Valor-No.51-4.jpg

1288799135-Donor-stove.-Valor-No.51-5.jpg

1288799156-Donor-stove.-Valor-No.51-6.jpg

The Valor No.51 was the roarer sister of the No.55.

The filler cap/air release looks to be identical to the one used on your stove. However, whereas my Valor uses a conventional air pump (soldered directly into the tank) your stove appears to have a fully removable air-pump. Perhaps this was a Military requirement. I have seen a similar one on a SH&S paraffin stove made for the WD:

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/4082

Hope this helps,
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hi Kerophile, Thanks for the info. I am sure that you are correct. It is the same apart from the removable pump tube, and having been in the military myself I can understand why they would prefer a removable pump tube; easier to just replace the whole assembly rather than fiddle with NRV remoaval tools and pump leathers in the field. Best regards Steve.

5. Sugarman6 Canada

Can anyone direct me to a supplier where I can find the pump packing for a Valor 55 stove?

6. kerophile

Hi, Welcome to CCS.
    If by "packing" you mean the leather pump washer, these are common to most classic 1.75/2 pint classic brass stoves.

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/typical-pump-assembly.14026/

The best ones are made and sold by a Turkish CCS member, Sefaudi, but you can also find leather pump washers listed on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-PUMP-...010241?hash=item4153fdb581:g:YGwAAMXQS6pRvs4i

If you don't mean leather washers, post a picture and we will try to help.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile

7. Sugarman6 Canada

Thanks for the advice. Yes it is the leather pump washer I would like. Unfortunately not many places here in Canada have them. The stove is a Valor 55, but I do not know the diameter of the cup/pump washer unless it is the same as the diameter of the pump tube

Tony
    [​IMG]

8. kerophile

9. janders

janders Norway Subscriber

@Sugarman6 Send a PM to @sefaudi and he will help you get what you need. Unless he is familiar with the stove, it is the inner diameter of the pump tube that is required.

And @kerophile had a solution a few seconds before me...

10. kerophile