Mongolian Fire Pot

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by Trojandog, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Picked this up at my local market this week.

1326492042-IMG_1491_opt.jpg 1326492072-IMG_1492_opt__1_.jpg

I believe it is called a Mongolian Fire Pot and is used over charcoal. Very common in Asia but never seen one around these parts before.

At £3.00 I thought it was worth a punt to try on top of my wood burner. Both parts are brass and it looks to be tin lined. I'll give it a clean up and try it this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Big BTU

Are you supposed to put water inside and then cook on the lid?

3. Trojandog

I think you put soup/stew etc inside the pot and the lid is just to keep the heat in. Not too sure really!

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I guess it works exactly like the wonder top oven, discussed elsewhere on this forum. Might be the fore-bear of these!

Best regards,

Wim

5. itchy

Yep. Soup or broth goes in the bottom part and the whole thing sits on a charcoal fire. Sort of a Kelly kettle for soup.

6. RonPH

Actually you can use it not only in charcoal but also on asian butane stoves. The idea on the hot pot really is for soup based food either beef, pork, or even seafood with veggies on sour broth cooked right on the table so the food stays hot. That is indeed a nice item you have there.

Ron

7. nzmike

Cool item. Easy to use and well tasty. Like a fondue for people who would rather raid, pillage and despoil. :thumbup: Make the meat and veg bits rather smaller than larger and the broth fairly strong. By the end of the cook session the broth will be well tasty. You can always scoop some out and water down to taste.

8. Jim Henderson

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. Trojandog

Jim, thanks for the links. I searched CCS for 'Mongolian Fire Pot' - I new I should have searched for 'Vintage Brass Thingy' :lol:

10. Jim Henderson

Take a look towards the bottom of the webpage I mentioned, http://fantes.com/mongolian-hot-pot.html

They show several new models made of Copper and tin lined. VERY EXPENSIVE piece of kit. Maybe your Brass Thingie is actually a Copper Thingy. Sounds like the older designs were copper and sometimes tin plated.

I have a modern aluminum one I bought in some Asian store in Beaverton Oregon years back. It has served me well.

Yours looks like the stove top or fire pit type pot. Mine has a a base that holds charcoal, sterno, trangias etc. Alcohol burners seem to work with less smell and are hotter, if you add some of those lava rocks you find at BBQ supplies. They help spread the heat around and slow the heat from just going up the chimney. Charcoal works best in mine but is messy but more like camping, at your kitchen table.

Just my thoughts.

Have fun, lots of recipes out there.

Jim Henderson

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

HotPot is a very popular item in Vietnam restaurants. I saw one large restaurant in Hanoi that serves only HotPot dishes. They typically use sterno-like bricks under the pot.

Yonadav

12. justin sanford

very popular with the bushcrafters,i have one and use it the same as a kelly kettle.