1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor C11 Stove - My first Paraffin Stove

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by MrEd, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MrEd

Got this on the recommendation of Rik, its a great stove and has done me well with cooking for a group when we went camping, we had to use a couple of rubbish gas ones aswell so now im going to get another paraffin stove, prob a half or 1 pint one!

Any way its a Monitor C11 Stove, ex military with the broad arrow on it and date stamped 1956. It came in a box with laods of spares - just needed a bit of brasso and some matt stove paint on the pot stand and legs as they were a bit rusty and its good as new.

Filling it up - i now have a period correct metal filler funnel to make this easier
    1278953855-Monitor_Stove.jpg

lets get our prime on
    1278953866-Monitor_Stove__1_.jpg

pump it up now
    1278953876-Monitor_Stove__2_.jpg

and thar she goes!
    1278953888-Monitor_Stove__3_.jpg

Lovely stove, the paraffin smell and the noise bring back memories :D

hooked now - going to get another stove now :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Mr. Ed, looks like a beauty! I found one in an antique shop in Monroe Louisiana, USA but it has seen a hard life. I am still waiting for gaskets and a burner collar. I hope is burns as well as yours!

3. MrEd

i got new gaskets and pump cup thingy from www.base-camp.co.uk
    dunno if they do overseas shipping though, might be worth giving them a ring they sorted me out!

4. teletim United Kingdom

Hi MrEd,
    Monitor C11 are great stoves,it took me a while but I did eventually get my hands on a No15 the silent sister to the C11 a stove worth looking out for to add to your new collection :lol:
    Great pictures thanks for showing us your stove.
    Cheers Tim

5. rik_uk3 United Kingdom

They will post anywhere, but remember our Turkish member who makes just about the best pump leathers going :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. MrEd

yeah i found out about him after i had already done the base camp order, future ones will come from him tho!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Twodogs United Kingdom

Nice one Ed ........... :lol:
    Cracking looking stove
    Cliff

8. madmaxdoom

hi yes our Turkish member makes excellent cups i bought off him threw eBay and he told me next time to pm him
    Ive had a go at making them myself but his are much better than i can do

9. Go Scout

Go Scout United Kingdom Subscriber

The collapsible C11 roarer stove has a C15 silent burner sister.

The number 11, fixed legged roarer stove has a fixed legged silent sister, the number 15.

10. SimonB

SimonB United Kingdom Subscriber

I've got one of these Monitors too and I'd like to try it with a silent burner if possible. I don't have one to fit but the Fettlebox sells silent burners for 2 pint stoves quite cheap. Are they a straight fit?

11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Simon, you can ask Ross at Fettlebox. I believe that he tries these burners on Swedish and British upstands before offering them for sale.
    Don't forget to buy some heat-resistant burner washers at the same time.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. Go Scout

Hi Simon,

I swapped my silent burner (on my Monitor 15) for a modern 'Liberty' roarer burner, as I'm missing an inner cap for the original silent burner. It is running very nicely indeed in this configuration. The Liberty roarer was a straight swap - no screw thread issues, suggesting to me that a Liberty silent burner would be a straight swap too. Think they came from Parafinalia maybe.

However, as it happens, any day now I should be getting a couple of Fettlebox silent burners, so I'll do a test fit and report back in a day or two.

Baz

13. Go Scout

I have just received two of these silent burners from The Fettlebox. They are 'Liberty' burners and I tried one on my Monitor 15. It fitted like an 'original manufacturers part' and I had no issues with the screw thread. Here are some photo's . . .

1. The first shows the Liberty silent burner in place after initial firing. To the left of the stove is the Liberty roarer (also a good fit) that I normally use with this stove. To the right is the original Monitor silent burner that I can't use yet, as it is missing the inner and outer caps.
    2. On the left is the original Monitor silent burner and to the right, the new Liberty version.
    3. Meths pre-heat of the new burner
    4. New Liberty silent burner operating on my Monitor 15
    20160426_115041.jpg 20160426_115126.jpg 20160426_112723.jpg 20160426_113037.jpg

Regards

Baz

14. SimonB

SimonB United Kingdom Subscriber

That's good to hear, thanks for reporting back. I think I'll have to draw up a list of bits I need and place an order with the Fettlebox soon.

Simon.

15. Toad of the Cape New Zealand

Hello folks,
    My first uttering, Have been madly following the mostly excellent advice and the how too's , if that's a word on here and sister forum about lanterns. A question, I have a monitor 405 roarer burner new old stock, what had they been used on.
    Alex

16. kerophile

Hi @Toad of the Cape . The Monitor 405 roarer pattern burner is listed as a 'No.1 size burner' and is intended for Monitor stoves Nos. 11, 11b, and 19.

These are basically 2pint capacity kerosene stoves, equivalent to Primus/ Optimus/ Svea No.1 stoves. Your No.405 will likely fit any of these Swedish stoves, or their British equivalents.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

17. Toad of the Cape New Zealand

Thanks Kerophile, what time is it over your way presently, just placed an order for parts, and hoped I haven't woken anybody, he he. I must say again, what an out standing resource here in this forum.
    regards toad

18. kerophile

Hi, NZ is currently 13 hours ahead of the UK, so it is now 0845h here.
    However, CCS never sleeps.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

19. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

It's a fine stove. When I got started moons ago Basecamp had a big supply of C11 collapsibles, as well as Hipo 1s. One of each were my earliest buys....

20. Toad of the Cape New Zealand

Hello Ed not seen many monitors latterly here in NZ, hope to find a fount for the 405 sometime.
    regards Alex