1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor No 1 Cabinet Stove 1939 ?

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by Admin, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

The first time any dating of these, appears in this advertisement in a 1939 catalogue
    I have always had a suspicion that they were earlier than 1939. The labelling on the box is identical to the Ironmonger Buyer Guide 1933
    I am not suggesting that it was made in 1933, but somewhere in between.

The tin is steel, gold painted - whats left of it

1352926238-IMG_8839_opt.jpg 1352926308-IMG_8831_opt.jpg 1352926328-IMG_8832_opt.jpg 1352926352-IMG_8838_opt.jpg 1352926379-IMG_8840_opt.jpg 1352926407-IMG_8845_opt.jpg 1352926441-IMG_8846_opt.jpg 1352926475-IMG_8847_opt.jpg 1352926499-IMG_8848_opt.jpg 1352926524-IMG_8849_opt.jpg 1352926570-IMG_8850_opt.jpg 1352926601-IMG_8852_opt.jpg 1352926622-IMG_8843_opt.jpg 1352926646-IMG_8842_opt.jpg 1352926670-IMG_8858_opt.jpg 1352926693-IMG_8841_opt.jpg 1352926727-IMG_8844_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Ian,

Bunch of nice features on this stove that differentiates it from later post war versions in the aluminium case.

There is no dedicated pressure release. The whole filler cap has to be looosened like a number of Veritas stoves.

I like the concept of the filler cap being replaced with the transit one with the long tube. Should be effecive as long as the stove is kept upright. Although in my opinion the later version with the cap on top of the burner is more effective.

The later post war version also has a captive flame spreader. However yours seems to have been brazed permanently onto the burner bell. Given that the bell has cut outs, do you think this is an original factory set-up, or possibly even a replacement bell that someone has then brazed the spreader to?

A missed opportunity is with the transit filler cap. It would have been really neat if this also fitted the meths can to aid getting the meths into the priming cup.

Thanks for sharing. Definitely one to add to my list.

Cheers, Graham.

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Ian

Yet another fascinating stove.

One of the things I looked at was the flame deflector plate.
    Do you thing someone got tired of it falling off and so bent the lugs and welded them to the burner bell?

4. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

All these Monitor half pint stoves appear to be based on and around Monitor 127

The cut outs Graham, are just another spin off from the 127. The burner plate is fixed, perhaps specifically for this Monitor No 1, the lugs have been bent in half and soldered to the burner bell although perhaps intended for something else originally.

This tank is off a 17B. They were just using up old stock. You can find the fixed burner plate on later models.
    1352980185-IMG_8863_opt.jpg

Another difference I have seen with the 17B, is with its tin. The colour background under the tank, as with the lettering, can be more pink in colour.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

As usual Ian, a nice presentation. I take it that this is the smaller half pint version, as your last photo refers to it as a Cyclists Stove? Edit - you answered my question while I was typing it :) .

I must admit to having a soft spot for Monitors and their quirky little innovations, such as the transit tank cap with the vent pipe.

I've started to pay Monitor closer attention and am mid-fettle on a Monitor Regal with it's filler syringe and NRV below the burner. Also have a Picnic winging it's way to me.

Regards,
    Terry

6. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

I have got a soft spot for them, as generally they are so well made.
    Thicker brass etc etc, they put Primus 96's and equivalent to shame.

7. Bom Bom Bom Bom

There are of course two versions of the 17B tin. One says "Tourist Stove" as in this link to Ross's stove in the SRG, and the other says "Touring Stove" as in this link to Paul's stove in the SRG.

I have a 17B that has very little use with an almost mint tin, and the cardboard box it came in which shows the tin lid scene on the side of the box. It's interesting in that the tin and box are labelled differently. One says "Touring" and one says "Tourist". Trouble is, from memory I can't remember which way round it is as it's not in front of me.

I also have a 127 in a pretty good condition tin. The problem is the stove doesn't run very well at all. It took me very nearly an ice age to work out that at some point in it's history the top of the stove has been compressed such that I suspect the pick up tube is jammed against the bottom of the tank thereby restricting fuel flow. Anyone any suggestions as to how to overcome this? I've shied away from the obvious approach of screwing in the burner, securing the burner in a vice and trying to "pop" out the top through brute force. Any other more gentle suggestions welcome as the 127 isn't a stove you come across every day of the week.

Cheers, Graham

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

If you can find yourself an old lipstick, that you can afford to throw away, try squeezing that in a vice and pulling the tank.

I have no idea whether there is a nut thingy on the pick up tube, inside the tank - be surprised if there wasn't.

What I have used before, when I have had to take a pump tube out, to pull dents out - I dont know what you call it, but it is a thing that is used for fixing whatever to plasterboard - it is a spring loaded thingy, as you push it through the hole, the two arms shoot out.

When I have tanks that have been pushed in from the top, and have a bog standard silent/roarer burner, just give it a good yank.

Goodluck Graham

9. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll deliberately vandalise a scrap 96 tank and get my hand in with that first, just to get the feel of it.

Cheers, Graham.