1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor No.5 - 1930's

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by presscall, Nov 23, 2015.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

A thoroughly pickled and lacquered stove, completely stripped of whatever patina it had acquired over eighty or so years that would indicate age. Even the new, replacement caps are lacquered and the jet orifice is bunged up with the stuff. Though the stove evidently wasn't intended by the last owner to be fired up, the pump cup is new and oiled yet the seals were shot or absent.

A pity to polish up a rare vintage classic to such an extent in my view, but I appreciate not all collectors feel that way. Shiny Happy People. I'm more emo and 'Everybody Hurts' I guess.

Loss of patina apart (always assuming it had any) - what's left is form (handsome), function (seals and jet having been replaced) and its rarity. Enough cause to buy it I felt. The only other example in the Stove Reference Gallery is what I'm supposing is an earlier example (Parkinson and Cowan named on the fuel tank) from BernieDawg.

image.jpg

Missing a pan ring, for this shot I borrowed an unused one from a Canadian Coleman Solus, just to get the effect.

image.jpg

Though with 'wings' on the fuel cap on this one, the family resemblance with BD's stove and the contemporary catalogue illustration is indisputable.

image.jpg

The raised, stamped lettering is distinctive.

image.jpg

image.jpg

A couple of cosmetic flaws - a dent here ...

image.jpg

... a chunk out of the primer cup there

image.jpg

Otherwise in good shape.

The filler cap ...

image.jpg

... pump knob and pump end cap - the latter with no lettering

image.jpg

Deep-shrouded burner with new steel inner and outer caps

image.jpg

I swapped the steel outer cap for a brass Townson and Coxson one

image.jpg

The only marking on the burner is this ...

image.jpg

... and on the riser tube of the stove is a capital 'A'

image.jpg

No markings on the base

image.jpg

A final shot with the burner's lacquered finish still intact before fuelling up and firing up the stove - minus the Coleman Solus pan ring

image.jpg

Of course this jet had to be replaced - clogged up with lacquer and with a curiously off-centred jet orifice

image.jpg

The Monitor has endearing burning characteristics, powerful and controllable flame.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

John

2. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Much underrated stoves IMHO, they are a good work horse of a thing and I've found them to be cheep as most "Collectors" seem a bit snobbish about owning them, to some people, if it's not Swedish or American then it's not worth owt! A some what controversial statement I'm sure, but that's just me.

Si

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout United States Subscriber

Great stove and fettle with exceptional photography John! That green background really sets off the brass :thumbup:. Jerry

4. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

As to your comment about being a workhorse of a stove, Si, I've a Monitor C11/15 here, bought new, and the darn thing runs like a Swiss watch, and puts out heat like one wouldn't believe!

No stove snobbery to be seen here, I've some of everyone's offerings here, Russian, Swedish, and British, to go with the home-grown variants. No shelf queens to be seen, either!

Murph

5. bluecat United Kingdom

excellent pics.i have a monitor stove that requires a new jet.And i am struggling to change it. but i will get it eventually .i intend to use it on my boat alongside a primus 210 also needing a jet .brilliant flame shots

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

I thought I'd round off this thread with a comparison photo between the Monitor No.5 and its descendent, the fixed leg '15' that Big Si was referring to.

Apart from the obvious differences, the No.5 is heavier, tipping the scales at 1.4 kilos against the 15's 1 kg., attributable mostly to the thicker gauge brass of the fuel tank.

image.jpg