1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSR Dragonfly, dated October 1998

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by presscall, Jan 15, 2016.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Cheap for a Dragonfly, though without a pump (no matter, I preferred a Duraseal) stuff sack, kerosene jet, tool, spares, instruction leaflet or fuel bottle. I was unaware until I received it that it was unused.

image.jpg

image.jpg

They're a popular stove, have been in production for over a decade and they're still available new when I wrote this (early 2016) so I'm not presuming to be telling anyone anything they've not already discovered for themselves about the Dragonfly ... just my impressions of something I've not tried out before.

Legs/pot rests folded up, as has often been said it's not the most compact to pack.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a clever design, unclipping the pot supports from a stowed position relies on their natural 'spring' to flip out into the in-use position ... simultaneously swinging out the burner assembly from it's stowed to clipped-open position.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jet removal, only necessary to swap a kerosene (DK) jet for the gasoline (DG) one. I'm using the MSR tool/wrench with the burner inlet tube cleaning tool as a lever.

image.jpg

That cleaning tool acts as a reamer in the fuel tract once the burner control spindle has been removed and the wire handle swapped from spindle to tool (and back again after the cleaning's been done).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Firing up the Dragonfly on gasoline (Aspen).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

... and it's renowned capacity for simmering. I can vouch for that, very controllable, best of any bottle stove I'd say.

image.jpg

Like the MSR Firefly and XGK I have though, it's LOUD, putting out an unremitting shriek.

That doesn't bother me particularly, but it's good to have an optional silent mode and it was fortunate that this Duo-Burn kerosene stove converter cap that I'd previously adapted to instal on an Optimus Nova fit the Dragonfly perfectly and performed very well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Full blast - not a usable setting

image.jpg

A very usable simmer.

image.jpg

Finally, some observations on the Duraseal pump. On the Dragonfly version of the Duraseal pump, but not on the version of the Duraseal for other MSR liquid-fuelled bottle stoves (which have a smaller-diameter pump connection tube) there's what MSR call a poppet valve in the stove tube inlet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It serves to prevent fuel from dribbling out of the pump when the stove is separated from it after use and would stop fuel flow if the pump valve were to be inadvertently left open when the stove is disconnected from it.

I'm a real fan of the Dragonfly. Late coming to it, but better late than never.

John

2. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Nice one as always mate. Where can I get the silencer from, or point me in the way to make one. John you have so much nice stuff.

Si

3. presscall

@Big Si
    I don't know if you ever bought one of those Primus 4010 converter caps for a Primus 100 when Base Camp were selling them, but the Duo-Burn cap is the same specification apart from being made of brass rather than Primus Metal.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Once the Dragonfly's roarer flame spreader's been removed the Primus cap sits in the burner bell just as comfortably as did the Duo-Burn cap without tipping or getting stuck in there once the stove's been fired up.

@cottage hill bill
    Moreover, having used it at lunchtime to cook those TRUE GRITS and brewing water for tea a few times since, I can confirm that it gives the necessary thermal conduction to the burner bell to maintain vapourisation and not just while the stove's still hot from the priming charge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Simmer setting for the Grits.

image.jpg

I notice that in THIS recent post, Ross said,
    So even if Base Camp have sold out the Primus product, there's a possible alternative source.

The Grits by the way ...

... uncooked

image.jpg

... cooking

image.jpg

... cooked

image.jpg

John

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. presscall

A few final thoughts on the Dragonfly, having used it a lot in the past couple of days.

The pot base level set by the pot rest height above the burner may well determine the manufacturer's commendable commitment to producing a stove with a minimum of carbon monoxide emissions, but it extends boiling times too much for my liking.

In his in-depth analysis of the MSR XGK Rob (Snowgoose) presented this photo of an XGK line-up to show how the changing fashion of pot rest height affected that model. The Dragonfly goes way over the top of these, literally.

1329335059-02.jpg

Although I wouldn't contradict the manufacturer's stance and am all for stove safety, given that I'll not be using it in-tent or indoors I'll be shortening the pot rests - cutting out a section of each vertical rod and silbrazing up the final version.

True, the use I've made of a silent burner converter cap has probably worsened the effect of the large distance between burner and pot base. The roarer burner has a distinctly vertical flame pattern and the silent burner directs flames horizontally - an endorsement here then for the manufacturer's recommendation not to stray from their specification or modify their product. Fair enough.

Snow fell and I took the Dragonfly out for an evening session.

IMGP4565.JPG

IMGP4561.JPG

IMGP4562.JPG

The converter cap can get overawed by the power of the Dragonfly.

IMGP4566.JPG

IMGP4568.JPG

With the throttle turned down a bit, it's fine.

IMGP4567.JPG

John

5. theyellowdog New Zealand

This stove, more than any other modern stove I have used needs a wind guard. With one boil times are good.

6. presscall

No doubt that's true. It's me messing about with a silent burner converter cap.

7. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

just to add my 2 Toonies worth, I have had mine for several years and I love it. Yes its LOUD, so my fellow campers send me to the next valley when I drag it out to cook a meal, but it does keep the bears far away
    Jan