MSR G - identified & moved from Mystery Stoves

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by steveross, Jun 5, 2011.

1. steveross

Hi,
    Many years ago (1995) I was given this old MSR stove from a mountaineering friend in Boulder. I'm pretty sure it's an XG-K, but I'm not sure how old or rare it is. It doesn't have a scalloped top.

Can you please help identify it? Is it valuable?

1307305435-IMG_0001_opt.jpg 1307305449-IMG_0002_opt.jpg

Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  2. RonPH

Welcome SteveRoss. It is an old model but not that rare as it comes up on ebay from time to time. We do not do valuations of stoves though we would say it depends on how much the buyer wants to spend. To get an idea, check out Ebay for the going price for one of those.

Ron

3. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi steveross welcome to CCS and congratulations on your first post and as Ron says valuations are not permitted on CCS best thing to do is look for one on ebay and add it to your watch list

4. steveross

Thanks guys. Do you know the model number?
    It has a yellow pump, btw.

5. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

That looks like the MSR G and not the XGK. The GKs and the XGKs had the looping vaporizer tube that goes over the burner (for burning kerosene). This one doesn't (can only burn white gas). So, it is, most likely, the G. It is a very early version. Yellow pump also is a marker for the early version as well.

sam

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Steveross,

Welcome to CCS, Sir!! It's always nice to see more Californian's involved in enjoying the older stoves! Actually, your stove IS a Model G, but it is not the older versions, but rather the very last version that MSR offered before discontinuing this model, and going with the X-GK. Looking at the codes on your fuel line block, it appears your stove would have been made in 1981, which makes it fall on that end of the Model G's life span. Also, the gold-colored body was adopted about that time, and most of the early X-GK's had that same body, too.

I hope this helps, and if you need some help rebuilding your stove, and getting it back to running condition, please give me a shout. I love these old MSR stoves!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc