1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSR Whisperlite Universal

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by presscall, Sep 7, 2016.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Doc Mark's Stove Reference Gallery entry for the Universal is HERE and I can recommend his post for its thorough coverage of the stove's features and his attention to detail.

I agree with Doc's conclusion that it's a fine stove, but THIS post raised an issue that priming when burning kerosene could be problematical due to a priming cup that's too small. That's certainly what I found in respect of kerosene on trying out the stove on the three fuel options of white gasoline (Aspen), isobutane and kerosene, prompting a modification of a 'stacked' priming cup of around three times the capacity.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's the stock primer cup (which also clamps the jet and feed tube firmly in the base of the stove's riser tube) with a 2-pint kerosene pressure stove primer cup silbrazed onto it. I happened to have a nickel-plated brass example, which more-or-less matched the finish of the stainless steel stock primer cup.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Alcohol poured into the top cup cascades into the bottom one in chocolate fountain fashion.

image.jpeg

Ignited.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Plenty of heat for vapourisation of the kerosene.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Perfect combustion.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The lowest setting I can manage.

image.jpeg

Maximum's a real scorcher.

image.jpeg

John

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

I made a glass fiber wick for mine to get a much longer burn time, works a treat. I'm starting to add them to all my paraffin stoves as it IMHO gives a more focused prime that lasts longer and is more fuel efficient.

Si

3. snwcmpr United States

Very nicely done, as always. There is more here.
    http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/msr-whisperlite-on-kero.28581/
    I added some comments there, too.
    I added an additional large cup, but I just set it underneath the primary cup.
    Oh yes, an additional wick really helps the kerosene prime the stove.

As said in a lot of posts, prime with meths, yes. But, it is good to know how to prime with the stove fuel also.

Thanks John,
    Ken in NC

4. dgold United States

I'm glad others have gotten this stove to work for them. For me, this stove had great promise, and I really wanted to like the stove, but have more or less given up on it. I pretty much gave up on the idea of running the stove on kerosene. In addition, I've been a bit disappointed with the performance with white gas also. While it runs great at full blast, I had read that this version (universal vs the earlier international) had good simmering ability on white gas, but I have not found that to be the case. Mine does not simmer well and kind of chugs at low flame, regardless of whether I use low pressure or high pressure at the pump. So I've more or less settled on using this stove strictly with canisters. I will say that the stove runs really good on canister gas, with a really excellent low simmer to blast furnace range. However, there are other things about it that drive me nuts. The extremely stiff fuel line, which wants to tip over the stove when moving/inverting a canister. And it's so stiff that I'm unable to use one of the taller 500 gram canisters with it unless the stove is mounted on a raised surface. Changing a jet out requires removing the fuel line/generator from the stove, which on mine is not easy, because the jet tends to get wedged in the stove body and does not pull out easily. Also having to change the pump connection also is a bit of a pain. If I had to do it again I would have just bought a windpro.