MSR WhisperLite

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by idahostoveguy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Continuing the series of MSR stoves from Idaho, this is an unfired MSR WhisperLite stove, not to be confused with the infamous MSR WhisperLite Internationale. This one I believe uses Coleman Fuel only. I don't think it can use other fuels. It's a fairly late model stove that comes with the latest red pump style. It is definitely a robust pump compared to some of its ancestry, other than the yellow pump.

Not much to say here other than view the photos and enjoy - or not!

sam

1268114958-whisperlite-01a.jpg 1268114968-whisperlite-01b.jpg 1268114975-whisperlite-02.jpg 1268114981-whisperlite-03.jpg 1268114992-whisperlite-04.jpg 1268114997-whisperlite-05.jpg 1268115006-whisperlite-06.jpg 1268115013-whisperlite-07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. hikin_jim

Nice, solid MSR Whisperlite, Sam. Unfired by the look of it. Yes, they are meant to run on Coleman Fuel or the equivalent only.

What does it say on the aluminum fuel tube block? :)

HJ

3. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Sorry Jim I don't know what is on the block. I let go of the stove and only have the pictures you see above.

sam

4. Knight84

Wise choice.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. hikin_jim

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. armydude

Have you used this stove yet?
    (Mentioned it was unfired)

I received a Wisperlite International a year or so ago and just replaced the pump under the "pump replacement program"
    The new pump seems quite a bit harder to operate (turn up and down). Any suggestions as to a fix?
    The pump has only been used once.
    ](*,)

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Armydude,

Welcome to CCS! As to your new MSR pump, they are much more robust than most of the older ones, though their ability to simmer is not great. I use a good simmering plate with most all my MSR stoves, except the few that actually DO simmer, like the discontinued Firefly, and the current Dragonfly.

Other than the simmering problem, the only other thing I've heard about the new pumps is that the pump bucket is no longer leather (BOO!!), and instead is some kind of plastic/rubber, which can cause problems when used in the cold. Using a good silicone lubricant on it may help that, though.

That's about as much as I can tell you about the new pumps. Did you have one of the Whisperlite Internationale's with the red fabric covered fuel line, or the newer (and better) Internationale 600 with the braided brass covering the fuel line? If you have the older one, you will very probably have problems getting it to burn any other fuel than Coleman fuel, unfortunately. The new #600 was designed to overcome that problem with the older Internationales. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc