1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSR XGK II 1981-1994

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by SNOWGOOSE, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Good Evening, One and All,

Unfortunately, our good friend, Rob, made a bit of a miscalculation in his dating of the X-GK II. I talked to him about it back when he first posted this info, but he was adamant that he'd worked it out correctly. I've long been planning set the record straight, but work always gets in the way. Suffice it to say that the X-GK II did not come on the scene until mid-1989. I'm sharing a tidbit from MSR that should clear things up, nicely. I have advertisements, reviews, and many printed comments that back up the info from MSR.

I'm very sorry to have to break the news, as I know that Rob began with the supposition that what he wrote was true, because two old friends, whom he trusted, told him it was. Not a good way to try and prove something, unfortunately, and that led to his faulty dating of the X-GK II. Below, please find a Pdf, from MSR, which should clear away the clouds of confusion surrounding the dating of this stove model. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Attached Files:

2. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

Thanks for the timeline, Mark.

I remember first seeing the Model 9 at a mountaineering shop when I was in college. I was skeptical that any stove was worth $80 (or whatever it was), though the salesman assured me it was the best stove he'd ever used. (At the time, my Svea 123 was my only stove, for summer hikes as well as winter climbs in the Sierra Nevada.) I finally got an XGK about 10 years later -- a gift from my wife for an upcoming trip to the Mexican volcanoes. I didn't really need it for that trip, but its snow melting ability ensured I never went back to the Svea for winter trips.

If I hadn't started collecting stoves, those would probably be the only two I ever used.

....Arch

3. snwcmpr United States

The DF was missed in the time line.

4. Doc Mark

Morning, All,

Mac, I surely do wish you'd bought that Model 9, all those years ago!! That would have been cool! But, the first two pumps were both problematic, and it wasn't until the third version of their plastic pumps, that MSR got it right. So, it probably turned out for the best for you.

Ken, the Dragonfly wasn't included, because it's not really a part of the X-GK family, directly. More like a "cousin", I'd guess. It's a wonderful stove, and I enjoy using the two that I have. But, the Model 9 - all the X-GK versions, is what the timeline was about, and not the other stoves that MSR has developed. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. snwcmpr United States

I meant the DF as in MF. The Dual Fuel that came out after the MF and before the G/GK.

6. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

OK so is the pump (yellow) worth anything? The reason? I just bought one on E -Bay.I also bought another XGK @ non shaker jet model

7. Doc Mark

Howdy, Pete,

As far as "worth" goes, your pump is worth what you paid for it. Many of them can be rebuilt, if care and skill is used, but some cannot and should not, be used due to cracks in the pumps. There were three different yellow pumps, so it really depends on which one you got, and in what condition. I've been rebuilding them for years, safely. BUT, I've also found the in's and out's of doing it correctly, and even recently learned some new pitfalls, even after all these years. So, how's about a photo of your pump, and I can tell you which version it happens to be. I hope that is helpful, but if not, ask again. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. 8R Pete

I bought a stove on E-Bay-looking at the stove itself and all the contents wasn't too much money.I bought anew MSR fuel pump and praying it works on this stove.

9. Doc Mark

Howdy, 8RPete,

The new pump should work just fine with your older MSR. The only snafu is when you try to use older fuel bottles, as some of them will NOT seal with the new pump, and you WILL get a nasty leak going!! :shock: :thumbdown: Have fun, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. remember to lube up your fuel line, before inserting into the pump. Otherwise, you can tear, or abrade the o-ring, and a nasty leak will be the result. You can use the silicone lube that MSR provides, or any gun grease, or in a pinch, spit. But, one way, or the other, always lube up the fuel tube before inserting into the pump. Word to the wise!!

10. 8R Pete

Thank You Doc for your information!-yes I have a somewhat new MSR fuel bottle pictured elsewhere on here.Also where can I get a Kerosene jet for my stove-currently have a XG jet in there

11. Doc Mark

Morning, 8R Pete,

Did you give MSR a call? Depending on what model X-GK you have, they may have a kerosene jet for you. Failing that, you can chum the waters of eBay, as folks somewhat regularly offer jets for the MSR stoves. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. 8R Pete

Morning Doc-snowing in NJ here! No i tried to e-mail them-no reply,so maybe a phone call is in order.I used to work for a camping store in NJ back in 1993-back then MSR actually had reps that came to the store to show us things like the new stove models.Actually Cascade Designs, since I believe at that time they were sold.Learned a lot of things working there.We used to have a guy fix Coleman products as a service.I went last weekend to the store to get the new MSR fuel pump.Will look on E bay for jets maybe something will come up.

13. snwcmpr United States

Give them a little time, they can be busy at times, but they will get back to you.
    But, as my friend Hazet says... "I (He) always call"
    I email, and get great responses.

14. 8R Pete

Just got my new to me stove from E Bay-says 07 85 on aluminum block.Looks to be in excellent shape so does the pump.-The only thing i see is there is no flint and spring that holds it-just a hole and knob is hard to turn.

15. Doc Mark

Hey, Pete,

Sounds like you have one of those were a proper date of manufacture on it. I assume your X-GK still has the wire spring around the generator loop, right? Yes, by all means, CALL MSR. You can talk directly to someone who can help you order the jet you need. I always do that, and get amazingly fast service. You might want to get one of MSR's "X" pot supports, too, to replace the spindly and somewhat fiddly pot supports on your stove. Since they sit lower over your burner, your X-GK will also perform better, too. Let me know how you make out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. 8R Pete

17. snwcmpr United States

Great shape!!

18. 8R Pete

Thanks and the pump looks to be new also and maintenance kit is unopened which is nice!

19. 8R Pete

20. 8R Pete

The pump hose separate is like wax as I touched it and it broke.I'm not even going to use the pump so anyone wants it it is for sale.