1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSR XGK with Yellow Pump

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by idahostoveguy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Hey I was wondering if this MSR XGK was a good deal. I just got it off the bay. Paid $37 + shipping and includes what looks like a Camping Gaz stove. The seller said both are unused. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this little guy...

MSR-XGK.JPG

2. Matukat United States

From what I've seen on the bay and even on Craigslist for USED XGKs, Sam, I'd say you did GREAT! The gassie is just a bonus!

3. RonPH

Hey Sam, you da man also :thumbup: great buy there as IIRC the yellow pumps were great. Congratulations.

Ron

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

I know it's not the oldest of the XGKs but this one has the old pot supports, which I kinda like! Is this one of the quirky XGKs? From what I can see in the picture it looks like it has a yellow pump and body.

sam

5. Knight84 Canada

Great deal Sam!!!

Gotta love the flint starter too on the XGK.
    To me all MSR stoves are quirky. :lol:

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. DAVE GIBSON United States

Yup--great deal..looks brand new.i have one and that yellow pump is the only MSR one that i can get a simmer with..i would get a couple carts for that gaz stove,i have one of those too,and stash it away for a back-up.

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

It has a flint starter??? I hadn't noticed. That's not native to the stove, is it? Added after? If it came that way, that makes it even more quirky. Can't wait to play with it.

Dave, as for the gassie, I'm not sure what I'll do with that, as I've already got one of them. It looks like an S200 CG. I guess I'll just throw that on the shelf too. They don't sell very well, I've noticed. They work great though.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. hikin_jim United States

:lol: Oh, so you're the dirty rat that outbid me. :lol:

I think you got a good deal. Looks like a nice, early XGK. The gassie is nothing much. I've seen those go for 2 or 3 dollars on eBay.

The flint starter is the hallmark of the earliest versions of the XGK. Later versions of the XGK, even those with the old style pot supports did not have the flint striker. I'm not sure whether MSR discontinued the striker because it wasn't very practical or because they wanted to cut costs. Doc, might have some insights into that.

The yellow pump is probably MSR's best design. The pumps that came thereafter are inexplicably flimsy. The yellow pump just makes so much more sense when you look at how it's put together. I don't get it why they switched, but I've heard that they wanted to cut the weight of their products.

Your pump is missing the air supply tube which should extend off the bottom of the pump. However, the pump should still work as is (unless there's something else wrong). It's a very common problem with the yellow pumps that the air supply tube breaks off at the base. Since it's just an extension of the pump, a broken off tube isn't a catastrophic problem. If on the other hand the fuel pick up (the thin tube that angles away from the body of the stove) is missing, then your stove would not run properly when the fuel gets below about half full.

Nice catch off of the 'Bay!

HJ

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Morning, Sam, and All,

Sam, your X-GK is a VERY nice one, Mate!! It's not one of the earliest ones, but is still nice and early. If you check the tag on your pump, I'd appreciate knowing what it says, please.

The pot supports on your stove may well have been the first version that MSR raised, in an ill-conceived effort to combat carbon monoxide poisoning. My first X-GK has those same supports, and whilst not like the original pot supports, being higher, they still work just fine!

As to the sparker, that one went away when the X-GK Shaker Jet II came on the scene, I believe. Personally, I like the sparker! Use good flints, and not the El-Cheapo ones that you can find around at stores and such. Also, it only works if you are priming with Meths, or Coleman fuel, not any other fuel of which I'm aware. I would warn against burning auto gasoline, even though the X-GK "will" burn it (and just about any other kind of fuel, too!), as it ain't good for your punkin' haid! =; [-X [-(

HJ is right in that one tube is missing from your pump, though your pick-up tube appears to be there. But, once I get some time, I'll post a report on how to fix that, quite easily, actually. Just need to be careful when you do it, as there are some parts which are under spring pressure under that hose, and if you are not careful, you may lose those parts permanently!! How do I know this? Don't ask!! :oops: :oops: :whistle: :whistle: 8-[ 8-[ :doh: :doh: ](*,) ](*,) :lol: :lol: The yellow pump, as Brother Dave mentions, does seem to simmer better than most every other one that MSR designed. However, it also has one fatal flaw, of which we all need to be aware: IF you screw down the adjustment knob too tightly, you can, and will, crack the pump body! IF that happens, the pump is only good for parts, and cannot be repaired!! So, be careful using that knob. Of all the yellow pumps I have, only one has been cracked by a former owner. You will probably want to keep an eye on the O-rings in the pump, just to make sure they are soft and supple. I can send you the instructions for your stove, if you don't already have them. I won't have time to do it before next week, as we're up to our eyeballs in work right now. But, if you need them, please let me know.

By the way, your stove is in perfect condition, from the photo, and the price you paid made it a STEAL, and not just a good deal!! Well done, Sam!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: As you probably already know, I consider the X-GK stove, and it's variations, to be the single most reliable stove ever developed for backpacking and mountaineering!! None of the many I have, have ever quit on me, for any reason!! The late, and very great, Colin Fletcher, is the person that "turned me on to the X-GK", through his writings, and were he with us today, I'd thank him, sincerely, for his praise of this stove. He was absolutely right, and thanks to him, I got my own first X-GK. Now, I have a real family of them!! ;) 8) :D :thumbup:

Last comment, do yourself a favor, and get a nice simmering plate to use with you stove, if the yellow pump doesn't let you simmer as we as you'd like. Remembering that, no matter which X-GK you have, nor which pump, this stove was not designed to be a simmering stove. But, it can be made to do so, with a good pump, a deft hand, and and good simmering plate!

Have fun with your new X-GK, Sam, and again, congratulations!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Here is the whole banana yellow MSR XGK. There are some interesting aspects to this stove:

• The first thing is that it is yellow along with the pump.
    • There's that coil spring around the generator tube over the burner.
    • Built-in flint starter.

1267159092-xgk-01.jpg

1267159099-xgk-02.jpg 1267159104-xgk-03.jpg 1267159109-xgk-04.jpg 1267159115-xgk-05.jpg 1267159120-xgk-06.jpg 1267159125-xgk-07.jpg 1267159130-xgk-08.jpg 1267159135-xgk-09.jpg 1267159140-xgk-10.jpg 1267159146-xgk-11.jpg 1267159151-xgk-12.jpg

11. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Well, it is definitely not an unused stove. I would say that there are parts on the stove that are unused, like the flame spreader and maybe the pump, but I doubt it. Even with that, I feel that I've gotten a pretty good deal.

Sorry Jim about that high bid. Snipers really come in handy when you can't be at the computer. Didn't think that I would win it as I bid relatively low. About that tube that goes at the bottom of the pump. It looks like something has broken off but don't know what I'm looking at.

Doc, I posted pictures of the tag that was on the pump. Mostly safety stuff.

Well, here it is. It's got that yellow body to it. The coil spring around the generator tube is interesting. I suppose it's for extra heat for the fuels that need it, like paraffin.
    xgk-01.jpg

There's that flint starter that actually came with the stove.
    xgk-04.jpg

Ok Doc, here's that tag on one side...
    xgk-07.jpg

Here's the other side....
    xgk-08.jpg

Here's the end of the pump. Looks like something broke off. It pumps and holds pressure in the bottle. Any danger without the tube inserted there?
    xgk-11.jpg

12. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

I got to messing around with the pump and figured I probably have a faulty pump. I managed to pull the studs that hold the air intake tube inside the end of the pump. The pictures shows what popped out when the second stud came out.

It looks like I could insert a new tube with the right dimensions and pop everything back in and it would work. Finding a compatible tube may prove problematic since it has to fit inside the end of the pump and fit with the brass lock collar on the inside of it. I guess it will be worth searching for a tube unless someone knows of a source and what the dimensions of this tube ought to be. Anyone?

sam

xgk-13.jpg

13. hikin_jim United States

You can see the broken off remains of the air supply tube inside the pump's body. Typical for whatever reason. Did you pull the cable out of the fuel line to check it? Are there any letters or numbers imprinted on the aluminum block at the end of the fuel line (where the fuel line inserts into the pump)?

Nice looking stove.

HJ

14. hikin_jim United States

Sam,

Doc will know what kind of tube you need. At least one of my yellow pumps has the same issue as yours. The material that MSR used on the air supply tube seems to grow brittle with time and break off, at least on the light colored air supply tubes. The darker air supply tubes I've seen on some other yellow MSR pumps seem to hold up better.

They will work with the tube broken off. However, now that you've removed the spring and the little disk, I don't believe the pump will work. IIRC, you do NOT want to lose that little disk.

No problem on winning the bid. I thought I was going to get away with a low bid, silly me. :)

HJ

15. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Yep, I didn't realize there was a tube there until I pulled the gunk out.

Pulled the cable out to see how gummed up things were. I've got a Whisperlite that came completely caked up. This one was in great shape comparatively but still has a slight discoloration.

Two numbers on the aluminum block: 022 and 883
    Any significance?

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  16. RonPH

Sam sed
    Am fairly new at the MSR line so like are all the cables removable for maintenance purposes or is it only limited to certain stoves - just for knowledge.

Ron

17. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

As far as I know, the MSR stoves like this X-GK and Whisperlites have that cable. I've got a Whisperlite International (so popular with Doc) that you can pull the cable out and clean. It's hard to clean the inside of the tube but at least you can pull the cable and clean it and spray solvents into the tube to get _some_ of the gunk out.

sam

18. RonPH

Sam, thats the reason I asked since I was a recipient of a Whisperlite (through the generosity of HJ) and was wondering if that cable extended all the way to the loop and into the jet. So its removable then. Whats the scale of difficulty putting it back?

Ron

19. Knight84 Canada

"Two numbers on the aluminum block: 022 and 883"

March of 1988 I think... sounds right. Doc knows more about dating codes. I am still trying to figure out Primus some days. :lol:

Great pictures and stove too! Thanks

Jeff

20. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hey, Guys,

Sam, DO NOT LOSE THAT LITTLE DISK, whatever you do!!!! If you do, you are screwed, period!! That little guy is made of teflon, and is irreplaceable!! :shock: :shock: ](*,) ](*,)

I use 1/4" OD polyethyene clear tubing that has a 1/8" ID. I buy it at Ace Hardware, and it does not seem to break down in fuel, or at least, not so far. It is supple, and seems like it will last a good bit longer than the original brown tubing. However, the fly in the ointment is that the holes you will need to punch through the tubing, so that the pins have a place to go to hold it in place, need to be done with a very specialized punch. I will post a photo of it when I get back from this current gig. Sweet Bride had one, and so far, I've used it with 100% success on the air tubes I've rebuilt, have worked like champs, using that special punch. I'd never seen one of these before I got hold of Sweet Bride's. The only problem that I foresee "possibly" happening, with the tubing I use, because it is softer than the original MSR stuff, is that you might rip it past the pins, if you're not careful in handling it. So far, that's not been a problem, but, in thinking about it, I can see how it "might" be, someday. If so, it's easily fixed.

So, there you have it, Mates. Please give me a shout next week, and "remind" me to post that photo, Guys. Lots of work on our plate right now, so I may forget. Gettin' old, Ya' know!! :roll: ;) :lol: :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc