1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first Coleman C530 B46

Discussion in 'Coleman No:530 'GI'' started by Manoj Nayak, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Manoj Nayak United States

Hey guys and gals,

Just got my first Coleman C530 B46 off of eBay a couple of days ago and I gotta say - I'm stoked!! Have been watching quite a few Youtube videos and reading up on pages of articles and how-tos about this stove, all of which came in handy to get the stove up and running. The person I bought it from said he'd used it last spring/summer and it had been put away. Sure enough, when I got it, I pumped away till I was blue in the face with absolutely no pressure whatsoever in the tank! A little Neatsfoot oil soak later, we had all kinds of pressure! Amazing what soaking the leather gasket in some oil will do. Here are a few pictures from the eBay auction, of the gasket and eventually, of the working stove. To the best of my knowledge, it is all original (and we have a few rusted screws that hold the top of the stove, and a broken small screw that holds the pump assembly on - both of which I'll be replacing soon enough). Talking of replacement screws - I think I found a replacement set of 4 screws online that holds the top of the stove, but any idea where (or what size) can one get the little screw that holds the pump assembly?

Manoj

s-l1600.jpg s-l1607.jpg s-l1604.jpg IMG_2204.JPG IMG_2210.JPG IMG_2211.JPG

2. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 United States Subscriber

3. Manoj Nayak United States

@HercL4D2 Thanks :). I really like it. Good thing I'd watched a few videos of the "Roarer" - so I wasn't surprised when I lit it up for the first time and the flame shot up 2' in the air! And thanks for that link - that's where I found the screws, but I believe those ones you linked to are the ones that hold the top of the frame to the fount. I'm also needing the little tiny screw that holds the pump to the fount. The screw that I currently have on there is functional, but has half the screw head missing. So, needless to say, last night when I had to try and get that off to remove the pump, it was a royal pain, having to use needle nose pliers to grip what was left of the head to unthread it. Any idea who might sell that little screw? Or is it just a regular size I could grab at a neighborhood hardware store?

4. HercL4D2

That little screw is not a common screw to find. If you have a Nut and Bolts Bin store in your area you need to take the screw in and have them match it. Fastenal or Grainger may be your next stop. Lowes and Home Depot do not carry them but, if you can catch the supplier that stocks their bin they might help you out.

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/man.php

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. Jim Henderson United States

Re the pump assembly crew.

All the Coleman 530 stoves I have seen did not have any screw holding the pump assembly anywhere. There was typically a "U" or "V" shaped bail wire that had two inward pointing ears that fit thru two small holes in the pump collar and then into the stove pump tube. It was pretty much a spring retainer.
    It looked a little like a miniature paint can bail handle.

Jim Henderson

BTW it looks pretty original and complet. Usual missing items are teh heat diffuser plate, the wrench(expensive to replace), and funnel, also expensive. Sometimes there is a spar parts kit clipped to one of the uprights.

6. Manoj Nayak United States

We do have a Fastenal in town - I'll definitely pay it a visit. Also, working at an automotive dealership, our Parts manager has a huge collection of old screws and he said he might be able to match one that works.

Interesting. The Coleman 530 only uses 1 screw to retain the pump assembly - maybe I'm calling it by the wrong name? The owners manual refers to it as a "Pump Plunger". I know the type of spring retainers you're talking about. My Coleman 425F dual burner camp stove has the retainer you're talking about. It also has two holes that each end clips into, whereas the 530 only has one.

I'm glad it wasn't missing anything. Many of the ones being sold on eBay didn't have the funnel, wrench, diffuser plate or the utensils. I loved the fact that this was complete and original. Unfortunately, no spare parts kit :(

7. HercL4D2

@Manoj Nayak Both of my 530 stoves just have the single screw. I have not seen the Bail clip that Jim Henderson speaks of. Canada did produce these after Coleman stopped production. Does not mean the Bail clip did not exist. For your funnel, diffuser plate; leather pump cup; pump check valve (air stem); wrench and generator go to this link and type "530" into search box for parts.

Is this not more exciting than balancing your checkbook at the end of the month?

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php?cat=23&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=16

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  8. Manoj Nayak United States

@HercL4D2 That's what I thought. I know that many of the 530s I've seen had only the single screw. And I have the link for Oldcolemanparts.com bookmarked. That's exactly what I'd done was to type "530" in the search box since all parts relating to the 530 start with that number. That little screw was the only thing I did not see there. Figures.

LOL. Definitely, though I balance my checkbook everyday :D. Which dates me I suppose. I mean, how many of the newer generation know what a checkbook register is anyway? LOL

9. HercL4D2

@Manoj Nayak The newer generation does not know what a checkbook is. They are all tied into a smart phone with a bank app for a daily balance of $$ to spend after funds are deposited. By the third day They are hitting the Parents up for cash loaner until the end of the month.

10. Jim Henderson United States

As far as the bail clip, I need to take another look at my collection of 530's.

I might be visually imprinting my imagination with the all so common clips used in Coleman commercial products until the plastic pump collar came in. The 530 was a commercial product but maybe it did have a screw, since it was a civilian follown to the USGI stoves, but my memory says no.

Maybe check this weekend.

Jim Henderson

PS... Looking at the stove reference gallery, shows most 530s with a screw if anything is shown at all. So I maybe be imagining things.

11. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

@Manoj Nayak

I have two of these stoves. One with no burner bell, so I had to use some parts off of a M 1950 model which worked out quite well. My second 530 came complete except it didn't have the screws to hold the pump. I have looked on oldcolemanparts and can not find the screws so I used a pump clip and it works fine. It may not be an original factory item, but it does work. You can get these pump clips from oldcolemanparts or eBay.
    P4130032.JPG

Cheers,
    Norman

12. Manoj Nayak United States

@HercL4D2 Know what you mean there!

@Jim Henderson I know mine does not have a clip. It's a single screw. There's only one hole on the pump assembly - so unless I drill another hole on the other side, I couldn't put a clip on if I wanted to.

@teckguy_58 Norman, did you drill a hole on the other side to make that clip work? My 530 only has one hole that the screw goes in. I'll take a closer pic to show what I mean.

13. Manoj Nayak United States

Actually, here is a write up on the Coleman Collectors forum that came in handy. And if you look at around the 9th step in the write up where he talks about removing the screw for the pump plunger, there is a mention that the 530 only has one screw.

14. teckguy_58

@Manoj Nayak

You are right and I was mistaken. I have too many stoves and I'm starting mix then all up in my mind. I was defiantly thinking of another stove. My 530 has only one screw.
    Sorry again for my mistake.

Cheers,
    Norman

15. Manoj Nayak United States

@teckguy_58 That is a problem I wish to have someday myself - too many stoves :D. No sweat! My next endeavor would be a Coleman 502 :)

16. teckguy_58

@Manoj Nayak

Just in case you are interested you can get a very nice simmer out of these stoves using the cleaning needle. Coleman designed them to simmer via the cleaning needle.

Cheers,
    Norman

17. Manoj Nayak United States

@teckguy_58 That's what I read. I haven't gotten around to using it to actually cook on yet - was planning on doing some cooking tomorrow but we ended up with an impromptu motorcycle ride from Oklahoma to Eureka Springs, AR tomorrow over the weekend.