1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first coleman502

Discussion in 'Coleman No:502' started by mr optimus, Jun 16, 2011.

1. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi stovies i have only ever owned a coleman stove a modern duel fuel533, which is a superb stove but being i like classic stoves it was given to a friend who wanted one being a keen fisherman.
    i have all ways liked and wanted a coleman500 or 502 and Sam/idahostoveguy sent me a PT and very kindly and generously offered me a 502 and today it arrived

1308240517-P1010121.gif

A few hours ago there was a knock at my door and the courier delived it. and here it is complete with the pan set.

1308240642-P1010122.gif

1308240690-P1010123.gif

1308240734-P1010124.gif

1308240758-P1010125.gif

As you can see from the above pics the stove is in perfect condition and i can not wait to fire it up i am going to up loads some flame shots of it once i get some coleman fuel for it

1308241171-P1010127.gif

The above pic shows the under side of the tank with all the information and model number it has the number 65 after the model nuber so i assume this is a 1965 model.
    A big thank you to Sam for his generousity and now i am a ver proud owner of a fantastic true classic 502

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Oooooh! Nice one!

3. davidcolter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. mr optimus

Hi sparky and dave many thanks for the info Dave being as i only have a few white gas stoves in my collection i will start of with coleman fuel when i am in or near colchester i will get some

5. kerry

brian :thumbup:
    its a lovely example you have there :clap:
    well done to sam for sending it :clap:

6. teletim United Kingdom

I agree Brian the older ones are very appealing.
    The green makes them look rather classy.
    Good on Sam for sending it over.
    Cheers Tim

7. mr optimus

Hi Kerry it realy is a nice example and in mint condition and well looked after and seviced and top marks to Sam for his generousity

8. mr optimus

Hi Tim very true the green does give the stove a classy look better than the metalic paint work on some stoves

9. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

The 502 is a easy stove to fall in love with, has to be the most reliable and well-mannered stove made.

Follow the instructions, and it's warmed up and running in all of 25 seconds, if not faster, and so controlable, you'd swear you're cooking on the stove top at home!

And I've only got ONE, ask the blokes here that have them by the dozen!!!!!

Murph

10. mr optimus

Hi Murph i make you right the 502 is a stove you can easy fall in love with it realy does look a realy well made stove and such a shame they stopped making them

11. RonPH

Brian, congratulations on your 502 :thumbup: . And Sam you are a generous man :thumbup:

The 502 is as everyone has said a well built stove best for car camping, reliable, efficient, and easy to maintain - nothing more to say. The added bonus which is the tin is really the icing as you can cook and fry. You can fashion a handle with flat bar aluminum and a webbing to secure them for storage.

Look forward to see it lighted.

Cheers

Ron

12. mr optimus

Hi Ron thank you very much for your comment sorry Ron it has got the handle with it i just forgot to photograph it to be honest i was a bit to excited today.
    By the way Ron i watched your video on youtube on the 502 a great video well done there

13. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Brian

Great gift from a generous stovie.

Something to watch out for is that the control wheel is uncomfortably close to the dished burner surround, which obviously gets pretty hot in use. Easy to get burned - been there, done it, bear the scars (well not really, just a slight scorching, soon healed up).

John

14. nzmike New Zealand

This is exactly why I like this site so much! Very cool stove :thumbup:

15. pshaw United States

a bit of foil in front of the wheel will deflect much of the heat. Not classy but it works. Good to see good will towards men these days.

16. mr optimus

Hi John on the way home i stopped of in one of those outdoor places that sell all camping stuff etc a bought a littre of coleman for £6:00 i will use aspen4t infuture and fired it up for the first time a brilliant stove i see where your comming from the shut off valve is quite near the very hot pot rest winshield.

Hi Nzmike and Pshaw thank you both for your comments and a good idea Pshaw using tin foil

1308322461-P1010131.gif

1308322483-P1010129.gif

Here we are Gentlemen a couple of flame shots of this suprb stove, I would like about this model to the present day models is that you have a lot more control of the flame from full power to simmer, where as the modern coleman have just full power and and simmer and not much inbetween and that it looks better and more sturdier and the pot rest is much better, the only advantage the newer versions have is they are easier/more user friendly having just one controlfor the first time users of liquid fuel stoves.but all coleman stoves old and new are brilliant and well made and ahead of there time

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  17. linux_author

linux_author United States Subscriber

Wow! very nice 502! love mine as well!

18. Sparky

I have Coleman Stoves from the 500 (two of them) to my Exponent 550b. My 502 is my go-to CF stove, and my new-old #51 is my user kero stove. Built like tanks and very functional.

19. mr optimus

Hi linux and sparky since i got mine i keep thinking why did the stop making the 502 every one who has one loves them,very true indeed sparky they are built like tanks and are very practacle

20. Sparky

Sadly, one can only assume that Coleman found a way to make these stove at less cost by removing some of the features like good simmer control and steel burner construction.