1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My "new" Tilley Titan stove!

Discussion in 'Tilley' started by Doc Mark, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, Friends,

Through the kind generosity, and help of my good friend, Ian M., I now own a very nice Tilley Titan, two-burner camp stove! This delightful gassie offering was made in Belfast, Ireland, and is in outstanding condition, though without it's gas hose connection. Ian sent it to me with original box and packing sleeve, which is very cool, indeed! (Many thanks, Ian!!) :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm in the midst of trying to suss out the gas hose setup, and should have something that works, fairly soon. In any case, this stove is very well made, very well designed, and in outstanding knick, so I thought I'd share it here in the Reference Gallery. I'll post more info here as this project comes to fruition, and until then, thanks for checking out my stove. The first few photos are of a fellow we met at our very first CA Stove Gathering, at Montana De Oro Campground, several years ago. He and his family camped right next to Sweet Bride and I, in a VW Vanagon, and had his own Tilley Titan, with which I was more than a little smitten. Now, again with thanks to Ian, SB and I have our own. I'll post more photos of ours, too, as things progress. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Here goes:

1298236469-DSCN3261.JPG 1298236495-DSCN3262.JPG

The next photos came from Ian, when he was kindly offering me this stove.

1298236574-titan2.jpg 1298236614-titan3.jpg 1298236648-titan4.jpg

These last ones were taken in our mountain home, after Ian's Tilley has made it's way across the big pond, which by the way, DHL did a super quick job of completing! I'm impressed with such quick service!

1298236748-DSCN0092.JPG 1298236788-DSCN0093.JPG

More later. Thanks, again, for checking out this wonderful Tilley Titan!

Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Rick b

Rick b United States Subscriber

Hey Doc, neat, clean stove, hope you find all the bits you need to get it going!

3. DAVE GIBSON United States

how about a shot of the heat source for that grill thing in the middle..

4. hikin_jim United States

Pretty cool, Doc.

So is that a griddle basically that goes in the center portion of the stove? Mmm, pancakes!!! We'll be right over just as soon as you get her up and running. ;)

HJ

P.S. Beware of the pancake gremlin!!
    P1050425.JPG

5. Doc Mark

Evening, Guys,

Here are some shots of the underneath grill setup. You will see a U-shaped tube, which has a slot on the inside edge of both long sides of the tube. This has mesh inside it, and the flame for the grill comes out both slots. Looks like it should work fairly well. Also, please note the connector piece in another photo. It's onto this connector that I'll be clamping the fuel hose. More photos after this very nice stove is up and running. Thanks for your questions and interest, Guys! HJ, any Pancake Gremlin as sweet looking as your little one, is welcome here, anytime!! What a little cutie she is! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

1298252302-DSCN0195.JPG 1298252322-DSCN0198.JPG 1298252347-DSCN0196.JPG

6. algentry1 United States

Hi Doc.

Thanks for the photos and essay. That is one neat stove.

7. Doc Mark

Good Evening, Gents,

Well, tonight, I got my Tilley Titan up and running!! I think I still need to tune it up a bit, mostly in the bits I'm using to make it run. But, I'm VERY satisfied with the strength of the flame, and the adjustment level. The grill works, too, but I didn't take shots of that, yet. So, here goes:

1298427541-DSCN0201.JPG 1298427555-DSCN0202.JPG 1298427567-DSCN0203.JPG 1298427580-DSCN0204.JPG 1298427599-DSCN0205.JPG 1298427685-DSCN0209.JPG

I love the way this thing just fires right up, and the high flame is very strong, indeed! Simmers very nicely, too, and as mentioned, the grill works as well.

I ended up using a bit of hydraulic hose that I got at the Auto Parts store today, in conjunction with the Bernzomatic adjustment valve that I mentioned earlier. Onto the Bernzomatic valve, I screwed a regular propane stove hose and fitting, the other end of which I screwed onto a regular Coleman propane canister. Fired up without a whimper, and when I turn off the added-on valve, the stove dies in a very short time, with no extra propane left in the line. The one thing that gives me pause to consider that all might not be rosy, just yet, is that when the stove is operating, the propane canister "sings" merrily!! Hummmmm....... :-k :-k Not anything loud, mind you, just an audible tone, very much like a singing note. When I decided to use the Berozomatic valve, I did not remove the jet for the torch on which it came, and maybe this is causing some back-pressure into the canister. I may remove the jet, and see if the "singing" stops.

In the meantime, I'm thrilled to have this lovely Tilley Titan up and running, and send sincere thanks to my friend, Ian M. for his kindness and generosity in sending it my way!! Much appreciated, Mate!! Right back at you, when you need something from this side of the pond!

I'll keep you all posted as to what happens when I remove the jet from the torch valve. If the "singing" stops, I'll consider this a very workable fettle. If it continues, I'll have to give this some more thought, for as much as I love singing, I'd prefer not to hear it from a canister of propane, with a lit stove nearby!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Decided to add some photos of the grill working as it should. In the first one, it wasn't warmed up enough, but you can see it working perfectly in the second photo.

1298429451-DSCN0211.JPG 1298429468-DSCN0212.JPG

Thanks, again, for all the nice comments about this wonderful stove. I believe it is one of the best of it's breed, and look forward to using it at an event sometime.

8. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Looks good though. Makes one feel good too.

9. Doc Mark

Evening, HikerDuane,

Thanks, very much! I added two more photos, after you had made your kind comment. I really like this stove, and look forward to using it. Built very well, indeed, and well designed, too, I think it will "work a treat", as our Brit Brothers say!! 8) :thumbup: :D :D :clap: :clap: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. johnsnz

Hi Doc,

Long time no speak...

Any chance of a shot of the fitting where the hose attachs to the stove..

I commend your current set up but I fear it might be prone to leaks...

I have a good supply of female 1" UNEF ( coleman cylinder fitting) camping stove feedlines that I can send you these are solid tube and keep the coleman canister at a good angle for feed into the appliance.

Let me have a shot of the connection and I can have a look for you. I'll keep an eye out on CCS over the next couple of days...

Cheers

John

11. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

On mine the hose is permanently crimped to the stove when it leaves the factory This hose has a companion fitting to fit the smaller gas bottles (3kg).
    The jets have a strange sintered filter in them that is nearly impossible to clean but the burner and jet is the same as the broken old Tilley go gas tramping stove I had in the parts bin. Mines not as shiny as yours but goes just as well now.

12. Ian

Ian United Kingdom Subscriber

Looking good, Mark. :D

13. Doc Mark

Hi, Guys,

John, I'm posting some photos of the connection underneath the stove. Ian took these, and they show the setup very well, indeed. I think that this connection, held fast by a hose clamp is not going to leak, nor go anywhere.

1298490527-titangasfitting3.jpg 1298490544-titangasfitting2.jpg 1298490561-titangasfitting1.jpg

As you can see, this fitting should hold the hose and clamp very well. However, I have my doubts about the Bernzomatic valve setup fitting right. The brass tube coming out of the valve is quite tight in the hose, and won't fit in there as well as I'd like. So, I may remove the jet from it, insert a smaller brass tube into it, then solder them together. Then, once the hose is fit better onto the bit of smaller brass tube, I believe the hose clamp will hold it nice and tightly. What do you think, Guys?

Ian, thanks, again, for a great stove! I love it already, and can hardly wait for Sweet Bride to return home from her latest teaching jobs, so she can see it, too! It's a sweet little stove, and I'm looking forward to taking it to the upcoming OSG, later this year! Take care, Friends, and as always, God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Guys, do you think I should "lube" the brass tube coming out of the Bernzomatic valve, then just force it into the hose, then clamp down tightly, instead of doing the soldering of a new bit of smaller hose? Thoughts, please? Thanks, as always!

14. johnsnz

Hi Mark,

I'd agree the connection fitting into the stove will be sound as the fitting has a 'barb' on it so when the hose is compressed by either a swage or a 'hose / jubliee clip' the hose material can deform as it has somewhere to go. This gives a good gas tight and strong mechanical seal

Ideally you want a 'barb' on the other end where your 1" UNEF canister fitting is so you can get a good gas tight and mechanically strong seal as well.

With plain pipe without a Barb you may get a good gas seal but the joint is mechanically weak.

Do you or Ian know the thread spec of the fitting with the barb that screws into the stove??

I could likely make up a supply hose for the appliance with the correct fittings and High pressure rated gas hose. it could either have a 1" UNEF female fitting or a fitting for a 20# propane tank...

Any how let me know no problems either way...

Cheers

John

15. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

Hi Doc,

Great looking little stove, love the grill. Are the legs designed to sit at the angle you have shown in all your pictures or are they supposed to sit flat on the surface? I was just thinking that with a heavy load it looks like the bottom tray/case would be damaged with legs sitting at an angle.

16. Doc Mark

HI, John,

Many thanks for your kind and generous offer, my Friend! I appreciate it, and will give thought to that. One thing that I want is a valve in the line, so that I can turn off the gas flow to the stove, before it reaches the stove, itself. Doing it as I am now, it works a treat, but as you say, and as I supposed, the joint between the hose and Bernz valve is not going to be good, mechanically. Could you please send me an email photo of what you have in mind, John? If you need my email address again, I can send you a PT with that info. In the original fuel line to this stove, the fitting to the gas cylinder had a knob which functioned the same as what I'm doing with the Bernzomatic valve in the line. Thanks, again, John, and I'll talk to you further about this. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Glad you are safe and sound, with all the rocking and rolling that's going on Down Under!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  17. Doc Mark

Hwy, Big BTU,

John, though svelt, the case on this stove is very heavy duty, and the assembly is very much like locking puzzle, where each piece snaps or fit into the next, and all are interlocking. This give it pretty good strength, and even when I press down, hard, with both hands, there's nary a squeak, or any movement in the Titan, at all. I think it's pretty much up to any regular usage you might wish to send it's way. It's made MUCH better and stronger than most of the propane double-burner stoves I see today, including those from Coleman, sad to say. Thanks, very much, for your comments on this neat Tilley Titan, and I'll keep posting photos as more comes to pass on it. Not forgetting the "CCS Regulation Tea Test", either, for a future post!! ;) 8) :thumbup: :D :D :D/ Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

18. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

Thanks Doc,

It has similar legs to a Coleman suitcase I know when I don't have it set just right the legs can sit on the apex of the bend like your pictures show.

19. pshaw United States

Is the pan in the middle for drippings or for broiling?

20. Doc Mark

Hi, Pshaw,

I believe it's for either usage, actually, but have not tried it as of yet. Great design, me thinks. Thanks for your question, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc