1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N°530, A 46

Discussion in 'Coleman No:530 'GI'' started by Wim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi all, this week another "new" stove arrived at my humble dwellings! This time I found a nice N°530, a great companion to my N°520 and M 1950. There was no tool, metal container nor funnel (and the screw that holds both parts of the filling cap together is missing :cry: ) but the stove itself looks beautiful! I rinsed out the fount with acetone, replaced the seal in the filler cap and oiled the (dry but in perfect condition) pump cup. Filled the fount about half way to 2/3 with wasbenzine (panel wipe) Cleaning (not that it needs much) will have to wait till warmer temps. Today I lit the Lady;

1360417411-P1050040_opt.jpg

As is normal, a flare-up! This did disturb my feathered friends...

1360417525-P1050038_opt.jpg

Don't believe what they say about waiting 3 to 5 minutes before opening the tab fully, we had a roar in less than a minute! Outside temp +3°C, same as the fuel & entire stove.

The following photo's show the stampings on 3 legs, for ease of reading these are sideways.

1360417762-P1050042_opt.jpg

1360417793-P1050043_opt.jpg

1360417817-P1050044_opt.jpg

And a frontal view

1360417853-P1050041_opt.jpg

Finally, a steamy one of the boiling kettle, sorry you can't see the bubbles but because of the cold all I got was steam dampening my lens!

1360418028-P1050045_opt.jpg

To much light for a decent flame pic, but she produced a healthy roar for sure! :D/ If weather permits, I'll take some flame shots this eve.

Hope you enjoyed these!

All the best,

Wim

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Tea belly United Kingdom

Nice find Wim, I would like to get my hands on one of those. Never having served in the military I wonder why this stove and it's british WW2 counterpart evolved the way that they did, slim and tall rather than low and compact like the Enders and Optimus military versions? If anyone has any thoughts it would be interesting to hear them.

Malcolm.

3. itchy United States

Malcolm,

I've read in a few places (doesn't mean its true) that the US Army's original request was for a stove that should be no bigger than a 1 quart thermos bottle. Perhaps Coleman just took that literally.

I'd also suggest that while the Enders style is certainly more stable, it requires a large flat and level area to be used. A stove with a small footprint, while tippy, has many advantages on natural terrain which is seldom flat or level.

4. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Malcolm, if you sat the 530 next to a M1950, you'll see that the M1950 is shorter, and the fold-out legs make it act like a much broader stove

It's also shorter than the 530 by a fair nick, makes the stove less "wobbly" with a mess kit sitting on it, as well.

Murph

5. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Nice one Wim! Love the 530s (non-military), M-1941s (520), M-1942s, and the M-1950s (536).

They are quite durable even with their steel tanks!

Leveling and stabilizing your camp stove on uneven ground is a skill required for just about any stove while you are out in the wilderness. Some stoves make it easier and some don't.

sam

6. bob robert

All the troops have an entrenching tool. The secret to stabilizing the coleman stoves was to get pumped up ready to go, dig a small 3inch deep hole, insert the stove bottom, bank with dirt or sod, tamp down dirt, fire it up. It was very stable this way, then apply pot, heat grub and eat.

According to my WW2 relatives, the stoves were used to make coffee and tea more than anything, :thumbup: To heat canned rations, they added 2 inches water, punched a tiny hole in the top of the ration can and stacked as many as would fit in the pot, with the boiling water kept below top of lowest can heated stacked rations.

Bob

7. Tea belly United Kingdom

Itchy, you make a good case that the M1950 being a smaller footprint could be better on uneven ground and Murph your point about the three legs being stable is a sound one. You would only need to scrape away a little of the surface soil to create a workable platform. I must make an effort and fettle my Hurlock and give these theories a try. Thanks fellas.

Malcolm.

8. Tea belly United Kingdom

Bob what you say makes perfect sense, I'm glad I asked the question.

Malcolm.

9. ulysses

ulysses United States Subscriber

The 530 is the only one in the sequence (M41, M42, 530, and M50) that does not have stabilizing legs. I wondered why Coleman didn't supply legs to the civilian model. Other than that, it's a great stove.

Flivver, a member here, told me a story of being able to light an M41 stove in a driving rain, when he was a member of a mountain rescue team.

Paul

10. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Some "flameshots in the dark"! :D/

First, the usual flare-up

1360438436-P1050046_opt.jpg

1360438459-P1050047_opt.jpg

The first bleu O:)

1360438524-P1050048_opt.jpg

Then, turn that valve wide open! :D/

1360438582-P1050049_opt.jpg

A view from "down under"

1360438805-P1050050_opt.jpg

And, after the fun, valve closed :cry:

1360438655-P1050052_opt.jpg

Final glow...

1360438720-P1050053_opt.jpg

11. Tracer

Tracer Belgium Subscriber

Great addition to the collection Wim. Nice flameshots. Congratulations.

12. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Thanks Erwin!

Groetjes,

Wim

13. Rick b

Rick b United States Subscriber

Hey Wim. Great little stove you have gotten, nice flame shots too! Good thing you didn't scare your feathered friends.

14. Nordicthug United States

Mountlake Terrace, in the Puget Sound basin.
    I thought I had three of this style of stove. I could only find two on the shelves in my snake pit. Must've lent one and forgot to whom. That's what comes of keeping records in one's head.

I brought them both upstairs, the M1942 labelled as belonging to the Dept. of Civilian Defense and equipped with one pot/cover held on by a spring detent and four folding feet making the base effectively 8" across and quite stable. The other is as I thought, a 530 B46. I've had them so long I forgot where I got 'em. I think the 530 came from a flea market and the M42 from a garage sale. I doubt seriously I paid more than a few dollars for each. I've never done any more than wipe the obvious dirt off, and fueled 'em up with coleman fuel. Both light as designed and run very well. I'd be well equipped if either were my only stove.

All things considered, I'd give the edge to the M42 because of the feet. I fished a couple of six inch squares of soft buckskin out of my scrap box to put inside the Pot/Cover of each stove as the knobs and pump handles get smokin' hot while the stove's running. A handkerchief doesn't quite do the job.

I have got to figure out how to get the images from my camera to my computer! The Senile Center Down Town has free computer classes three times a week and as Da Missus works there, I should go and pay attention. The gentleman who teaches is very well versed in all areas of computer use, and repair. A good man to know.

Gerry

15. Lance United States

Gerry save yourself some time and trouble and go grab-a-hold of the nearest teenager in the neighbourhood. Treat him or her to free soda and pizza and he/she will teach you all there is to know, or your brain can absorbe, about 'puters. Ideally a curvy young lady of blonde hair in the age group of 25-30 years would be nice. [-o< [-o<

He or she will be pleased to assist the old man down the street. Since i know the war department would wreck havic on you should you misbehave i'm sure the lad or lass will be on safe solid ground visiting with "the old phart" with the well mannored pooch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lance

16. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Malcolm, here's photos of the 530 and M1950, side by side:

1360645007-M1950-530.JPG

The M1950 is a much shorter stove, and the feet give it a nice wide stance, along with being able to use 8-penny nails through the holes in the feet, to keep 'er steady.

The M1950 is also a MUCH faster stove to repair in the field, with its own tools and spares kit built in!

The one upside to the 530 is being able to adjust the flame more accurately, other than that, as much as I like my 530, I don't feel as bad about giving a M1950 a good thrashing in the great outdoors!

Murph

17. monkeyboy United States

Found a 530 today, with the funnel attached with the chain, and the bottom and top pot.
    Cost was $59.50.
    What do you guys think about the price. I have no idea of value.

buzz