1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimus 111 conversion

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Peterpaddler, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:52 PM.

1. Peterpaddler United Kingdom

I have an Optimus 111 and have been thinking about converting it to white gas which I would think is a cleaner burn and simpler to fire up. Is this a simple change of jet or more complicated? It is an old roarer design. Probably 40 years old and very little use but I am thinking of using on kayaking trips instead of gas. I hate having half empty canisters.
    Is it worth doing or are there other issues I have not considered. More flammable? Less safe?

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Hi Peter, the 111 was designed to run on 'clean' petrol as well as paraffin.
    The 111B was designed to run on all types of petrol (gasoline) including leaded.
    However, a well set up 111 runs better on paraffin than petrol (Coleman fuel, Aspen, Panel Wipe, etc.). It gives good clean burn.

Give it a try.

111.jpg

3. Peterpaddler United Kingdom

Thanks to everyone for responses. It would seem that this is quite a common question now I have looked at the forum in more detail. Overall it would seem hat the kerosene is a safer option for general use. I will probably do a good service on the cooker and try to use it more.