Optimus 5S

Discussion in 'Optimus No:5 (inc. S & J)' started by John Leah, Dec 6, 2009.

1. John Leah

This is the Optimus 5S I've just finished renovating.

It's not standard as it's been repaired at some time which necessitated re-soldering (badly) the burner spigot to the tank resulting in the (homemade) spirit cup being made captive. It also has a non-standard SVEA 815 burner.

It is NOT polished brass but was probably originally nickel plated - although time has weathered this to an attractive silver bronze.

It has a powerful yet easily controllable flame and is the best burner in my collection.

1260108083-Optimus_5S_-_1.jpg 1260108107-Optimus_5S_-_2.jpg 1260108136-Optimus_5S_-_3.jpg 1260108308-Optimus_5S_-_4.jpg 1260108348-IMG_0590c.jpg 1260108727-Optimus_5S_-_5.jpg

Cheers,
    John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Well done john that is a very nice restoration job bringing a classic back in use to what it was intended. I don't think looking at the pics it was nickel plated probably just lost it's sheen over the years well done :clap:

3. John Leah

Thank you very much. I've fettled a few things back to working order in the short time since I got the bug but, driven by me new found enthusiasm for citric adid, this is the first one I've also tried to properly sort out the appearance on.

The pictures don't show the colour very well but when I place it alongside one of my brass stoves the difference is clear. I believe nickel or chrome were options and I initially thought the 'S' stood for silver (until Kerophile put me right :oops: ).

Bom Bom may have hit the proverbial nail when he said: If the stove was nickel plated the citric acid bath will remove the plating. So, my quick dunk may have removed some of the plating leaving the base coat showing through.

Whatever, as Kerophile said, they aren't rare so I won't lose any sleep over it but just enjoy the stove - I even cooked tea on it last night (SWMBO was out :lol: )

Cheers,
    John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015