Optimus 8R won't shut off.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by northome guy, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Billyboy

Yeah. 80's or 90's.

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @northome guy

To be on the safe side, use only graphite for the packing. If you require some (enough for that job) I'm sure someone in the USA can send you a strip or a pre-made one; or you can buy through this site's Trading Post (see under Member Services); or I can send you a bit.

Cheers

Tony

3. gremlin70

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

5. northome guy

If I can ever figure out how to send a picture of my R8 I will. As to the year of this blue
    Optimus R8, I have had it for about 40 years. I am 65 years old and remember my brother using it in the Boundary Waters Wildlife area in Northern Mn and Southern Canada. Bob

6. sa3spd United States

Hi,

On the graphite packing material, some hardware stores (in the US, at least?) will have a suitable material in the plumbing section. It's a dark colored (charcoal grey to black) "string" you can wrap around the spindle as required. It looks a lot like the silvery material on the left side in the picture gremlin79 posted. There may be a light colored (almost white) material, too. I think it's Teflon and you don't want it.

Here's the stuff I've used on my Sveas: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28918296

Rick C

7. northome guy

Thank you Rick. I found some at Ace. 5fI used to use the white stuff for big water pumps but I found the stuff you talked about.

IMG_20160307_121341582_HDR.jpg

8. snwcmpr

That's good to hear. It can withstand the heat?

9. abman47

abman47 Subscriber

Try a burn test; if it melts or ignites with a match(or lighter), use it on water valves only. Graphite will not burn.

10. snwcmpr

@northome guy
    What I meant was .. send me a private message if you want me to send a piece of graphite to you.
    Nevermind if you found something else.

Ken in NC

11. northome guy

Oh that's really nice. I still think the blue one I have is older than the 70's but I could be wrong. Mine works better with the needle out of the burner for some reason. Hope I can find more of these. It's a lot of fun tinkering with stuff like this.

12. northome guy

Does anyone know if all the R8s like this were gold in color when new. Mine looks so silvery that I can't imagine all the gold color wore off completely.

13. itchy

northome ...

Be careful with that graphite from the plumbing section, it may contain some filler used to keep it flexible. If so, the filler will turn to goop from heat.

Some of the tanks on 8Rs were plated so they do look silvery. You can polish up the brass on any of these till it shines like gold, but unless you protect it, it won't last.

14. Cattleridge

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and thanks to this thread I figured out why my 8r was losing gas in storage. Almost embarrased to say but thought my 8r was off when in the clean position ie key fully anticlockwise. (and in fairness to myself it would turn off as the needle blocked the jet), guess I never put my cooker right on full (which would have been off) because low was so powerful. ah well can laugh about it now and at least I don't have any leaks and the unit works perfectly fine. :)

15. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Hello @Cattleridge , great news!
    The 8R is a great little reliable stove and should give years of trouble-free service :thumbup:
    When you have time, a couple of photos of your gear and maybe a wee introduction would be great. NZ Scenery is always stunning..... :content:

Alec.

16. Cattleridge

My boy two nights ago we went for an overnighter in the Tararuas.

20160325_235953.jpg

17. itchy

Excellent.

18. Duran

I apologize profusely for hijacking Northdome Guy's thread and reviving a year old thread. I have a similar problem with my 8R, it wouldnt shut off. Originally, i found a leak coming out of the jet hole. I removed the cleaning needle, works a little bit better but not to its potential. When i prime it, it acts like i have the valve slightly open, and when i shut it off, there is always some small fire i have to fight with. Tank Valve is checked, new Viton seal added to it, cleaning needle removed, the valve control nut is tight.

is it time to attack the spindle? would i need graphite tape?

thanks and so sorry again

19. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

You can remove the spindle, but if equipped with a cleaning needle, remove the jet and the needle first. Once the spindle is out, check for crud in the seat and wear on the spindle. Maybe even flush the system by pressurizing the tank and opening the valve with the jet and needle removed before removing the spindle. Check member services, you can acquire some graphite there or salvage what is there. I have a couple that after doing all this, still leak a little. Finally decided no big deal. I can blow the flame out then release tank pressure.
    Duane

20. Duran

Removed the spindle, fixed the wick, put the spindle back on, now it is leaking where the spindle goes into the tank. Should i put some high tem thread sealant? my biggest issue is that i can tell the spindle has been removed before by the previous owner. where do I stop when i screw it back on? cant be too tight but more afraid of it not being tight enough. if i have to chose, better tigher than loser i would suppose?