Optimus Cover Up Label

Discussion in 'Stove Decals' started by Spiritburner, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

This big label was used by Optimus during their period post 1962 when they owned the Primus brand for liquid fuelled stoves. They often printed the Primus logo on the tin but if they used the tins for the equivalent Optimus product they covered up the Primus logo with this sticker. It is 7cm in diameter. Drop me a PT for the high res.

Some minor imperfections but looks good & you could tidy up more if you wanted.

1285887865-optimus_coverup_sticker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi spiritburner.
    The decal is in great condition. I am sure that image was on the lid of both my 8R stoves, purchased, 1959/ 60. It was only about 25mm in diameter, placed in bottom lefthand corner, I think. Would it be possible to adjust the image down to that size & maybe fix it to the case with double-sided tape or am I being too naive. Best regards. Alan

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hello Optimust

I think your sizing of 25mm diameter is incorrect.
    Ross's size of 70mm will be correct.

You could try re-sizing the image yourself, but in case that is not possible, here is a cleaned-up image with a diameter of 70mm.

1417460870-Optimus_post-1962-7cm.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  4. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Optimust, I'm throwing a wrench in the works here.

edit: oops, below I had checked pics, I got offmy arse and chkdmy old 8R, it has EXACTLY as Optimust describes small optimus logo 24mm across in lower right corner. Gold back ground vs silver shown here.

-------------------------------------
    Ross does not mention model. BUT refers to the Optimus label covering a Primus label. For the blue/red Primus 71 / Optimus 80 tin Ross comment in-total including size is spot-on.

BUT we're talking 8R. A Optimus/Primus 8R might be embossed made in Sweden, 8R made in Sweden or have no emboss.
    A 59/60 OPTIMUS 8R would have embossed letters, maybe Optimus logo too? Is that what you have?
    In ANY CASE, I'm thinking 70mm is too big for any 8R.

I just quick double checked a few examples.
    I see a round Primus label centered above embossed "8R" about as wide as the letters 8R.
    I see a just slightly larger Optimus label located in the same place. The label I checked is EXACTLY like this label shown only smaller.

I'm not saying your round label was not in the lower right.
    Seems like maybe the most common is newer version silver rectangle optimus label lower right corner.
    thx omc

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I have seen plenty of examples of the 7cm label.
    I might have seen the smaller 24mm label but obviously don't remember it.
    But it is no problem. Here is the 24mm diameter label - though still with a silver surround.

1417524944-Optimus_post-1962-24mm.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  6. Optimust

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the posts. The refurb of the case will be in the near future when the shade of blue has been decided. From your locations, I do hope we meet up @ Annfield and following the guide lines on the forum, hope (fingers crossed) to have a few examples of the images. Enjoy your celebrations, and I wish everyone a very good & healthy New Year. Best regards, Alan

7. Optimust

Hi OMC,

Thanks for your post and the checks you made. My case IS exactly as you describe with the Optimus logo at the top and a very small indent(probably a production tooling mark) centrally beneath, made in Sweden under that & 8r at the bottom. On closer inspection with a 10x eyeglass there is, in the bottom left corner, a slightly brighter blue 25mm circle suggesting a label was in that position.

Thanks again & best regards,

Alan

8. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Love the cleaned up version. I must get some printed out!

A couple of my 8Rs have the 24mm ones on the bottom right corner of the cover. Size/location depending on whether they were re-branding or marking up an existing product I suppose.

Alec