1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our Second Clayton and Lambert #3!!

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Doc Mark, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, Stovies,

Recently, I found a stove on the bay of evil, and knew, right away, that I was going to "go big" in my bidding, if need be, to get it!! As it turned out, I did win the stove, and was very happy I did not have to "go big" to do it!!!

Today, our second Clayton and Lambert #3 arrived in the Post, safe and sound.....all 40 lbs of it!!! As many of you know, Sweet Bride and I are blessed to be the current Caretakers of Mr. and Mrs. Flivver's, wonderful, and very rare, Clayton and Lambert #3, the first ever found, and we absolutely love and adore it!! We know of a second one that was offered in Arizona, a while back, and sold to a Gentleman in Florida, and he has become a friend during our correspondence on his stove, and it's unfortunate damage in shipping, and arrived with broken parts. He is actually a member here, but will remain anonymous, unless he says otherwise.

So, that accounts for what, until I won this other #3, were the only two stoves of this kind that have ever come to the fore. Imagine my surprise when I found yet ANOTHER one, and on the bay of evil!!!! It was listed as a "project stove", and that's, indeed, what it is, and it's missing it's original stand, which means very little to me. I have a nice, early steel Coleman stand that will work just fine with it. In any case, I wanted it as a "parts stove", in case our #3 was ever in need of replacement parts or repair. The opening bid was more than fair, and in fact, unbelievably fair, and so I waited until auction's end, and tossed in my bid. Imagine my surprise when NOBODY bid against me, and I won the stove for the original opening bid!!! I only told Flivver, and Gentleman who now owns the AZ-sold #3, and did not want to post anything here until my stove had arrived, safe and sound. Mike did a little research, and found out that the stove had been listed a total of FOUR times, and nobody had ever bid on it! So, by the Grace of God, it now lives here in our mountains!! Thank you, Lord, for our many blessings, both big, and small!!!

The seller did an OUTSTANDING job in packing, and I'm very grateful for his skills in this regard! Here's what I got:

DSCN6604 copy.jpg

DSCN6606 copy.jpg

DSCN6618 copy.jpg

Lots of surface rust, which will be dealt with in time.

DSCN6609 copy.jpg

DSCN6610 copy.jpg

DSCN6611 copy.jpg

DSCN6618 copy.jpg

Here are the parts that are rusted together. I've begun soaking them, and know that they will eventually break free, and work again.

DSCN6614 copy.jpg

DSCN6615 copy.jpg

Both Flivver, and I were surprise and tickled that this stove, other than the missing stand was so very complete, right down to the burner heat reflectors!

DSCN6613 copy.jpg
    Here's a little damage that will require some new skills from Ol' Doc. Once I get this burner apart, I'll see about making it all right.

DSCN6616 copy.jpg

DSCN6617 copy.jpg
    The fuel tank is in good condition, and still has the remnants of the original instructions decal. One small thing to solder, and the seller did mention that in his description, so I was expecting it.

DSCN6612 copy.jpg

DSCN6607 copy.jpg

DSCN6620 copy.jpg

The two round-head screws that old the fuel tank to it's carriage are missing. But, I'll hit the Ace Hardware down in the Village today, and pick up some replacements. Easy fix!

DSCN6621 copy.jpg

The serial number of this #3 is #663; the one we got from the Flivver family is #558, and the one that now lives in Florida is #73?, we think. The current owner does not recall, other than it was in that range, and he's had some major surgery recently and is not able to verify that right now. So, that appears to mean that there were quite a few #3's made in their time, and just furthers the questions about where, on earth, did they all end up?? War effort metal drive, possibly???! Who knows.

DSCN6622 copy.jpg

Here's what I'm using, so far, to free some of the rusted parts. I'll give this a few days, spraying often, and using heat, to see if I can return it to function, and if this does not work, I'll get some Naval Jelly, and that will most certainly do the trick. I know that some Cola products will do the same thing, but don't want to try that, just now, as I don't have much time for fettling, these days, and most especially with
    Christmas right around the corner.

I'm as giddy as a school girl over finding this stove, and buying it!! The seller was outstanding in every way, and I can hardly wait to dig in further into getting this second Clayton and Lambert #3 up and running again!! Of course, due to the complete nature, and overall condition of this stove, I will NOT be using it as a "parts stove", but enjoying it alongside our first one!!

Thank you, for checking out our second #3, and all this just goes to prove that, lightning, does INDEED, strike in the same place, TWICE!!! :D/:D/:thumbup::thumbup::content::lol::lol::D/

Take care, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (one VERY blessed and happy Stovie!!)

Hummmm... seems to be a double posting of one photo, but I can't figure out how to delete it. Tried just using "delete", and it just seemed to change the photo attachment #, and not remove it. Sorry about that.

2. Doc Mark

P.S. I forgot to show what I'm using to break through the rust:

DSCN6619 copy.jpg

Doc

3. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Congratulations Mark! Couldn't have gone to a better home. I look forward to seeing the pair running at Joshua Tree sometime soon :lol:.

Best wishes,
    Terry

4. Doc Mark

@Trojandog Hey, Terry,

Many thanks! Good things come to he who waits, and also who persistently seeks, me thinks!! Feeling truly blessed by having another #3 come my way!!

The soaking has already worked on one of the major rust areas:

DSCN6623 copy.jpg

The main area of rust has already let go, and I can now access the main burner for further work! Yippee!! More, as time passes, and offers more fettling opportunities. Best to you and your lovely wife, and Merry Christmas!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

5. snwcmpr United States

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@Doc Mark

A piece of stove heritage in the right hands! :thumbup:.

I notice you've been a bit quiet lately - you must be busy! I find, though, that with old pieces like this, taking time is the safest thing to do. Mulling over the problems, gently trying solutions... In the end, hastening slowly pays off.

Have fun with the fettling.

Cheers

Tony

7. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout United States Subscriber

Looks like it has good bones. Look forward to seeing it running Doc!
    Merry Christmas, Jerry

8. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

Wow. Congratulations!

....Arch

9. Doc Mark

@Trojandog , @snwcmpr , @Tony Press , @Metropolitantrout , @ArchMc @cottage hill bill

Good Evening, Terry, Ken, Tony, Jerry, Mac, and All,

Thanks, Mates!! I am very grateful that another #3 has come my way! Also, I'm glad that I think it can be resurrected and work nicely, once again, and it doesn't bother me one bit that I might not have a "parts stove" in this one! ;) :content: It's cool that the main grate, and attached priming area, has now broken free, and allows access to the main burner, and a few other places.

Also, the owner of the #3 which lives in Florida got back to me, and he does not mind being identified as being the owner of the 3rd Clayton and Lambert #3. It's none other than our very own Cottage Hill Bill!!! He and I have become friends, through our correspondence, and I think he's a great guy, and very much hope that yet another C&L #3 will come to hand, and spare parts can be found for his stove, if needed!! Can lightning strike three times in the same place?? Well, after just finding the one I have now, I'm ready to believe that anything is possible!! :shock: [-o< :content: A very good friend, from the old days in the Living History hobby, still believes that she had one in her barn, and I've told her that, when she is ready, I'll happily clean out her barn, and help her figure out, exactly, what she has. I told her that, if it IS another C&L #3, I would like to buy it from her!! We'll see how it turns out, eh?!

Terry, if you are planning another trip to the US, and in our neck of the woods, I will work hard to get this thing up and running before you arrive!!!!!! :lol::lol:
    Thanks, again, Guys, and more info, as it comes to pass, and as time permits. As an aside to Tony, yes, we've been super busy with our business, and I've not had time to fettle much, nor post about it here. I did have some good success working on an early Radius #42, and will post that as soon as I can. When I found, and won, this #3, however, I knew that I HAD to share that here, amongst those whom I knew were enjoy and appreciate it!! Take care, and God Bless!!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who spent much of the day cleaning off the rooflines, and gutters, in preparation for some, supposedly, torrential rain tonight!!)

P.S. Cottage Hill Bill got back to me with his actual serial number, which is #743. So, one #3 in the 500 range, one in the 600 range, and now one in the 700 range! Oh, the possibilities make me, quite simply, giddy with anticipation, as more and more of these great stoves come to the fore!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  10. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

Doc, I think I may have a C&L or two, and maybe an Optimus #9 somewhere in my sheds. When can I look forward to your visit? ;):lol:

....Arch

11. Doc Mark

Hey, Mac,

Cynthia says, "Tell him we'll be right over! What time is dinner??!!??!!" ;) :lol:

Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Mark and Sweet Bride

12. hikin_jim United States

Lol. I definitely have a C&L #3 in my daughter's bedroom, Doc.

Wow! Another Flivver stove! Now, that's a real find. Now if we could just scare up a few more Optimus #9's...

HJ

13. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Triumphant acquisition!

14. snwcmpr United States

I have 2 in my disorganized shed.
    When can I expect you @Doc Mark?

15. bem1965

bem1965 Sweden Subscriber

Hi @Doc Mark ,

That is a lovely piece of history! Lately I have had the misfortune to acquire mostly stoves either requiring only new fuel or being NIB!

The winter is on us here and winter in southern Sweden is terrible, around 0 C, wet and windy.

I am looking forward to see the rest of the fettle of this behemoth!

Best wishes!

Lars

16. Doc Mark

@hikin_jim , @snwcmpr @Ed Winskill , @bem1965 ,@ArchMc

Hi, Jim, Ken, Ed, Lars, Mac, and All,

Some of you guys are real comedians!! I wish you all DID have CL#3's hidden away at your places! What a fun time we could have, doing a mass fettle and photo shoot of the entire group!!! :D/ :lol:

Thanks, Ed! Yes, for me to find another C&L#3 is a real blessing! I bought our first one, from Mr. and Mrs. Flivver, and both Sweet Bride and I are very grateful for them selling their beloved stove to us! It's in wonderful condition, and works a treat! For another of these very rare stoves to come into my hands, and most especially in the wild, is really something, and not something I take lightly. Thankful for all such blessings, both big, and small! With this stove having been listed a total of FOUR times in two months, I'm still shocked that nobody but me saw it, and bid on it!! I guess others just considered finding a #3 to be such a long-shot, that they didn't mess with doing much searching for one. Can't explain it any other way.....

This morning, I was perusing the 1926 Patent Application for this stove, and think I've sussed out why the auxiliary burner knobs won't turn. The diagrams show that, inside each burner is a rotating cylinder, with holes bored in a specific pattern, which line up with the fuel line and burner. This is very similar to what Coleman used on their wonderful #1 stove. I believe that when the rust was taking place with this stove, the cylinder inside each burner got rusted in place, and that, just like the main burner mechanism that I got to release yesterday, these cylinders will release, too. I need to get inside each burner, and fill that cylinder area with penetrating oil, then be patient in allowing it to work. @cottage hill bill recommended a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF transmission fluid for such things. I'll try what I have on hand, first, but if that fails, then I may just go to his recipe for a superior penetrating oil, and see if that works. In any case, it's fun to mess with it, and see what I can easily fix. The damage on the main burner is going to call for some skills that I've not learned. I know.... I know...., I've been talking about learning to braze for a very long time!! But, I just haven't had time to try it, and have not had a class on just how to go about it. However, I do have a wonderful tutorial on soldering, sent to me by Doug W. @exeter_yak many years back, Maybe it's time to combine that info, with some things that have been posted here about brazing. Scary.........., but necessary, and a good skill to have!

I'll post more as time permits, and progress has been made. It's raining cats and dogs up here in our local mountains, and we are busy with work, warm and toasty inside our home. Looking forward to Christmas, and our traditional Lobster and mussels dinner with family and a few friends!! Take care, and Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

17. NW Lady

NW Lady United States Subscriber

This beauty could not have found a better home! Congrats!

18. snwcmpr United States

@Doc Mark
    All the reviews I have read on penetrating oils have the 50/50 mix heads above the rest. It works.

19. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Subscriber

I agree that this stove couldn't have met a better owner!

20. Doc Mark

@NW Lady Lady, @snwcmpr , @Rhubarb ,

Thank you, all, very much! I tried to get the two missing bolts from the fuel tank today, but Ace did not seem to have the size I need. I'll remove one from our first C&L #3, and see what that measures, then try again. Ken, the phone message I received from you said a mixture of "250/50", but this one lists "50/50", is the 1/2 and 1/2 mixture that @cottage hill bill suggested the one you mean? I'll most certainly give that a try. Thanks, again, for all the very nice comments of support, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc