1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parasene 1/2 pint silent burner

Discussion in 'Parasene' started by presscall, Sep 15, 2013.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

I've grown fond of this little scorcher in the short time I've had it, a curiosity of a 2-pint stove sized silent burner mounted on a 1/2-pint fuel tank, burner not detachable and with fixed pot supports.

Alongside it, an equally quirky Veritas 'Superb' lamp

1379197755-1.JPG

1379197764-2.JPG

I'd some fettling to do to it before I reached this stage - relaxing with a brew at the end of the day

1379197772-3.JPG

Having replaced seals - filler cap; pressure release valve 'pip'; non-return valve 'pip' - and the pump cup washer, a test firing revealed a spurt of flame from a burner tube - the soot from the flare visible here

1379197782-4.JPG

There's the crack

1379197789-5.JPG

Cleaned up for silbrazing - the crack's there all right but not visible in this shot - the metal alongside the crack has been burred over by the abrasive tip

1379197797-6.JPG

Sibrazed repair

1379197804-7.JPG

The test firing also raised suspicions that the jet seat threads were shot - tightening the jet didn't stop a spurt of flame around the jet.

Old seat machined out ...

1379197813-8.JPG

... new jet seat silbrazed in place

1379197823-9.JPG

Burner has been boiled in water to dissolve the borax flux. Ready for a clean-up (polishing wheel)

1379197832-10.JPG

Burner cleaned up, ready to go back on the stove

1379197842-11.JPG

The tank filler cap is an externally threaded plug, breaking with convention where the external threads are usually on the tank filler riser

1379197852-12.JPG

Pressure release valve. The 'oversized' burner for the small tank conducts quite a lot of heat to the tank so the pressure release valve is probably a reasonable precaution. That said, it's not a stove I'll be using for hours on end and a five-minute (or less - it's pretty powerful) session to boil water for tea isn't going to result in excess heat/pressure in the tank

1379197864-13.JPG

The pump's a dainty little thing. Still working through my stockpile of Sefaudi's excellent pump cup washers. Like the fuel tank filler cap, the pump cap has external threads too

1379197882-14.JPG 1379197892-15.JPG 1379197904-16.JPG

The fuel tank and pot rest legs were painted originally, a residue of the decal remaining which reads 'Entirely British Made'. No mention of the maker anywhere on the stove

1379197917-17.JPG

There's some paint remaining, brass showing through elsewhere. It's a pleasing patina to my eye, so that's how it will remain

1379197933-18.JPG

Patience (and a little effort fettling) brings its own reward

1379197948-19.JPG

I included this shot because it managed to register the fuel vapour stream from the jet nipple in the light from the Veritas Superb

1379197961-20.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John, excellent documented restoration on the burner.

The burner on your little parasene really was in a state, you have done a first class job silver soldering the vaporiser tube and the jet seat.

I remove the borax residue, by soaking it in a hot solution of washing soda/soda crystals, after about half hour it breaks up nice and easy.

It is very nice to see a veritas superb lantern working perfectly, it is such a shame this model is unreliable, and not a lot of them that work at all.
    To me veritas lantern's especially the superb model looks better in design than most British lanterns, and they look really well made and robust

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks Brian. I enjoyed the restoration you completed on your Parasene a while ago. Alas, mine doesn't have the pan ring yours has.

The two Veritas Superb lamps I have have been no bother. Got themselves a bad reputation in pressure lamp circles for mantle-blackening I know, but mine haven't misbehaved at all. I'm glad of that because as you say they're a handsome design but only of interest to me if usable and the Superbs certainly have been, er, superb. I've a fear of smashing or cracking a globe, which I'd expect to find difficult to replace. So far so good!

Back to the Parasene stove, it's an oddity sure enough and I haven't really worked out 'why?' - not 'why is it an oddity?' but 'why resort to that combination of small tank/oversized burner?'

A 'regular' Primus/Optimus/Burmos 96 isn't a poor performer, so the Parasene seems to be indulging in overkill in terms of burner output, but maybe it was the cheapest way for Parasene to make it a silent stove without resorting to making their own equivalent of the smaller, lower output Primus No.4 silent burner to go on it. Perhaps.

An alternative to finding one of these Parasenes would be to seek out BernieDawg, who does a nice line in riser tubes to graft a silent burner onto a 96 fuel tank. Just needs longer pot legs and it's probably a more practical (read 'back-packable') stove than the Parasene

1379261456-22.JPG

1379261475-21.JPG

1379261500-23.JPG

Incidentally, the Parasene is reasonably practical as a stove to take on a hike, as I established HERE

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John to me the oddity of this stove, is not only the size of the burner mounted on such a small tank, but a collapsible stove especially such a small stove, that was mainly used and designed for hiking motorist, for brewing/boiling in the open air, so a roarer burner would be far suitable, as it is not effected by wind like a silent burner and brings water to the boil quicker.

But the advantage of a standard silent burner over a lipstick roarer burner, is there is more surface area to vaporise the fuel, if a lipstick burner is pumped a bit to rapid after the priming/preheating stage it can more easily flare.

5. loco7stove

loco7stove United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John

Excellent post as usual :D/ :D/ 8) :thumbup: always great to see what you've been fettling 8) :thumbup: & coincidently i have been working on my Veritas Superb lamp this evening too & playing with my new toy a very early 00 , post coming soon :D :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup: