1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parasene half-pint stove with full size silent burner.

Discussion in 'Parasene' started by kerophile, Jul 17, 2009.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi, here are some photos of a stove I acquired yesterday. This is a Parasene half-pint stove with fixed legs, but fitted with a full-size silent burner, such as is used on 2-pint stoves.

Think of a Primus no.96-type stove with a Primus no.5-type burner!

I had only seen such stoves in photos before, in the Reference Gallery....and the Frankie section.

Here are some photos of my Parasene stove:

1247813615-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-1.jpg 1247813652-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-2.jpg 1247813679-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-3.jpg 1247813708-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-4.jpg 1247813744-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-5.jpg 1247813765-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-6.jpg 1247813840-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-7.jpg 1247813860-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-8.jpg 1247813889-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-9.jpg 1247813933-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-10.jpg 1247813961-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-11.jpg 1247814002-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-12.jpg 1247814034-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-13.jpg 1247814064-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-14.jpg 1247814110-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-15.jpg 1247814133-Parasene-0.5-pint-St.298-16.jpg

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi George,

burns very nice! But can you enlighten me please, is this how it left the factory, or did someone swap burners later? If "swap", then what kind of burner would have been fitted when new? All in all it looks like a good idea, power in a small package! ;) 8)

Regards,

Wim

3. kerophile

Hi Wim, this configuration is as it left the factory.
    Parasene obviously decided these was a market for a "big" stove's performance in a very small package.

The stove came without silent caps, so I fitted appropriate replacements. The outer cap is a NOS, ex-military, SH&S brass cap dated 1945.

I included photos of the stove alongside a Primus 96, fitted with one of Gary's excellent silent dampers, so that you could get some idea of how small this stove actually is.

There are other posts of this stove, and closely related versions, in this section of the Gallery.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. sefaudi

sefaudi Turkey Subscriber

Hey George,

Very nice find, congrats...

Is there any paint on the solder on the leg adjacent to the pump?

5. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

George, I'm extreemly envious what a good looking stove, small but very powerfull. It looks different but right at the same time.

Si

6. kerophile

Hi Sefa, well spotted. Yes there is a small area of paint on this leg.
    This stove was originally painted with gold paint, probably from the factory. I have seen the same colour of paint used on some British 2-pint stoves. I have left the paint on most of the tank, only taking the remains off the top surface, where most was dis-coloured or already off.

Best Regards,
    George.

7. Knight84 Canada

Hello everyone.

I have one of these great little stoves too. I have the steel pan ring with mine, but it seems to heat up too much.
    Too much burner for the pot ring I guess. I reminds me of the No 5 when the pan ring is on it.

The only market I could ever think this would be good for would be for a climbing basecamp where pack side needs to be small but with performance. :? :-k Any ideas?
    The stove can fit inside the Coleman 508 plastic case too.

Cheers,
    Jeff

8. kerophile

Hi Jeff, It is great that you have one of these small, powerful stoves too. Please post some photos in the Gallery.
    I would love to have a pan-ring for my one as the little bit of height it would give would lift the pan or kettle clear of the top of the burner cap. I selected the shortest outer cap I had, but the top still contacts the kettle base when using the stove without a trivet.
    I can certainly believe that the pan-ring gets hot! Everthing on this stove gets hot when using the burner at full power! The big burner is very close to the tank and you get both conductive and radiant heat-transfer.
    I renewed the "pips" in both the NRV and safety valves, and I can well see that a pressure relief might be needed.

On my particular stove, the filler cap also serves as the air-valve ( there is a slot machined in the threads of the female tank fitting), and the safety valve. I see that some of these tiny Parasene stoves have a conventional butterfly air-release (perhaps those with Zora burners?)

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/849

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/11308

Please post some photos, Jeff.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. Rick b

Rick b United States Subscriber

Hi Kerophile, a very nice stove and fettle! It's good to see you could keep most of the paint, in fact I didn't realize it was paint at first. (I didnt know that any of the brass stoves had been painted).

10. ChrisQ United Kingdom

my Monitor Regal is factory painted gold over a brass body, so not just Parasene who did this. I have left the paint in place

ChrisQ

11. Takeshi

Hi,

Smaller and highpower out put model always attrated collector like us.looks bit odd to me because am not much familiar to this kind but lovley looking beastie ;)

Takeshi

12. kerophile

Hi Takeshi, If I find another one I will send you a PM.
    Best Regards,
    George.

13. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Hi All

I have this version, with its paint work all intact, albeit grubby, along with the pan ring.

There is also another version that I have which is unpainted. The riser tube is approx 25mm in height from the top of the tank to the top of the riser, whereas the one that is shown is approx 17mm.
    The pump rod assembly is also different. The shaft is steel in the newer version, the knerlin, forgive spelling of "knerlin", on the pressure release valve is also different, and also on the underside of the pressure release valve it is conical, whereas the on the version shown it is flat.
    The NVR tube also protrudes out a little bit longer, there is a couple of mm difference on the newer one.

Ian

14. kerophile

Hi Ian, you have obviously got a lot of interesting stoves. It would be great if you would take some photos and post them in the Gallery.
    Oh, the word in knurling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knurling

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  15. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Hi all

Here are the two Parasenes I have, the diferences are quite striking.
    You will note the height of the legs are different, also the pump rods are not interchangable, as they are a different thread.
    The pressure release valve interchange no problem.
    1248001934-Small_Parasene_001.jpg 1248001982-Small_Parasene_006.jpg 1248002046-Small_Parasene_002.jpg 1248002562-Small_Parasene_004.jpg 1248002618-Small_Parasene_005.jpg

Ian

16. Takeshi

ummm intresting design for me :-k :) Takeshi

17. Neil B

Burned my thumb and finger on the cap trying to vent mine after it had been going for a while

Neil

18. kerophile

Hi Neil, check out this post for a temperature graph Doug Weise produced for an operating No.96 stove, fitted with an Op.00 burner.
    You will also see my comments made at the time.

http://classiccampstoves.com/posts/110736

This small Parasene is even more extreme than Doug's set-up, as it has a 2-pint stove size burner on a No.96-equivalent tank. I would expect our temperatures could be even higher than the ones Doug measured!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  19. Knight84 Canada

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the late reply George. (Fishing trip)

My stove is the same as yours. I have come across a few different variants, 3 of which I have seen.

1248132269-IMG_1461_opt.jpg 1248132275-IMG_1462_opt.jpg 1248132280-IMG_1449_opt.jpg

Cheers,
    Jeff

20. kerophile

Hi Jeff, thanks for posting the photos, which are good. Your stove looks very fine and is producing a nice flame-pattern. I love the specially made, small, pan-ring.

There must have been a fair number of these stoves manufactured and sold, when you see how many CCS members have acquired one (or two).

I wish we had a relevant Parasene catalogue. It would be nice to see when they were available and how they were marketed.
    It was obviously in the pre-Health and Safety days, and before product-liability litigation became commonplace. :) :)
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.