Phoebus No.2 basket case early?

Discussion in 'Phoebus' started by nmp, Nov 1, 2015.

1. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

2. nmp

image.jpg I was intrigued by the stove being numbered on the side of the tank rather than in the usual place on top? It has been chopped about legs and riser so that I presume it was collapsible?

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, several manufacturers produced semi-collapsible stoves. These stoves had fixed legs but the burner and upstand were removable. I have never understood the logic to them for users, as there is no worthwhile volume saving by just removing the burner/upstand for transit.

Perhaps it was possible to get a better packing factor in export crates?

I think your Phoebus 2 might have started life as this type of stove, but sometime later the fixed legs were cut shorter.

I have seen a stove where the cut sections were individually soldered into close-fitting tubes, so that they could be re-assembled into a working stove when required.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. kerophile

Hi There is a Phoebus No 2 stove shown in their 1930 catalogue. It is 2 pint stove fitted with a filler cap with Mickey Mouse ears. It looks to be earlier than your model, but does have a large No.2 marked on its side.

Their later, 1930s catalogue shows the No 2 stove as having a 4 pint tank, so perhaps an up-dated form. What is the capacity of your No2?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. nmp

It's strange that you mention the soldered tubes to connect the removable sections of leg ,this is one way I had thought of restoring the stoves legs and I would be able to adjust the leg height to suit the burner that I manage to pick up. I will check out the Phoebus catalogue thanks for the heads up on this.iwill check the capacity but it looks like a two pinter.
    The legs look to have been cut very evenly and squarely so maybe in the factory?

cheers Nick

6. kerophile

Hi, I too had noticed that the legs were cleanly cut. It is possible that this stove was part of another apparatus for which this was the heat source.
    In these cases the maker of the apparatus bought in off-the -shelf stoves from a maker, and modified them for a specific requirement.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. afoton

As long as we are talking unregulated burners, it is the easy way to close the tank for transport.

8. kerophile

Hi @afoton, of course you are correct. I had never thought of that because there was no evidence of a reserve cap, nor "parking" place in the illustrations I had seen. I was thinking only of reducing the effective volume by being able to fully collapse the stove.
    Best Regards
    Kerohile.

9. nmp

Hi Kero and Afoton
    There is a reserve cap to seal what's left of the riser but as you say no parking space. I have a feeling that this stove had another piece of riser that screwed into the stub left on the tank, I have tried several burners in it and none match and the thread in it is pretty coarse.
    Regards Nick

Should this post be moved to the fettling forum?

10. kerophile

Hi Nick, have a look at this post.
    Is it possible that this Primus No 100 riser would fit to your tank fitting?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

11. nmp

Your post prompted me to try a lipstick burner from a 96 it fits ! Not a good fit but it screws in easily so as you say some kind of adapted is the answer.
    I am not worried about trying to get it back to standard Phoebus No2 looks as who knows if it ever looked like that in the first place?

Tanks for your interest and help its been great! Please post any other ideas you have.
    Nick

12. kerophile

13. kerophile

14. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

PHOEBUS2.jpg
    Top tank marked 2
    2-pint